New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

I don't like it, it's got that yucky tablety boutique feel, and it has like no channels. I signed up but doubt I'll use it for a long time. Also, it's also based in USA, so it'll have the same anti-creative DMCA pandering villainism as brutetube, so it doesn't really solve the biggest problem in the market.

Worked on Maxthon 4.4

yeah i has that windows 8 thing going ..... just makes you feel dirty

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Thanks for everyone's comments. I also appreciate that everyone has been posting such constructive criticism rather than just silly rants.

The truth of the matter is that 99% of our viewers would have never noticed we were uploading earlier somewhere else if we didn't broadcast it.

Vessel is an extra thing, not a replacement to our existing youtube business.

At a business level, it's a diversification of revenue.  Currently, nearly all revenue LMG has comes from Youtube.  With Youtube becoming less friendly to larger content providers with it's new brand management rules, it's becoming harder for LMG to sponsor content and make money off of YT's exorbitant 45% cut from ad revenue.  Vessel is a good move to let LMG diversify revenue streams as it gives a much higher cut of the advertising revenue to the content creator.  They model this by creating a 3 day exclusive video buffer for the service. They capitalize on this exclusivity by providing a tiny monthly paywall.  So, the videos go up on both vessel and youtube, LMG gets ad revenue from both platforms, with minimal attrition of viewers between platforms.  

Ohhhh, I get it now.

Thanks man!

I love the 10 second jump back feature. I'm not a huge fan of their UI though. It's just a bit clustered I think. Maybe I have to get used to it.

Me too!!

Still very early in the process - I'm sure they would appreciate feedback about that through their support system!

I'm not a fan of vessel the format is really clunky

its trying too hard to be differant, also I'm not going to sign up just to watch one youtuber.

there might be heaps of others but yeah there mostly vlogger's

I would of preferred if you's started using patron.

even if I decided to use vessel I am almost never going to go onto it since all the thing's i watch are on youtube.

edit: If you are going to put your video's behind a pay wall why dont you add it to this website? I would rather do that then vessel, also the stress about the unknown's of youtube - what happens when vessel get's big the same shit is going to happen.

If I were you I would sign up for the free year, even if you don't start watching now. A lot can change in a year! And if you have feedback about their layout, I'm sure they would love to hear from you.

Patreon is a difficult one. We evaluated it and we thought that this made more sense.

We may explore other options in the future, so stay tuned for that :)

First I wanted say that I have no problems with you guys enabling people to pay for early access to your videos. But as of now I see no reason to use vessel over YouTube. It looks to me like the "hd" videos on vessel are in 720p, that's a massive downgrade from the 4k and 1080p60 videos we have been getting on YouTube for awhile now. The interface of vessel could also use a lot of work, finding videos that I want to watch is much harder than on YouTube despite the fact that YouTube's interface isn't that good either. So I will not be using vessel over YouTube despite the free year and early access to videos until 4k is supported.

Definitely see where you're coming from. We have spoken with them about higher resolutions and higher bitrates, and they seemed open to both. Could see that change happen within the free year, though I certainly can't guarantee it.

Not sure what the problem is but the videos are loading really slow, checked the task manager and it's only using about 10% of my bandwidth for some reason.

I'll pass on the feedback. Thanks!

Does this mean there wont be anymore dedicated ads in YouTube videos?

Nope, there will still be ads on our YouTube videos as long as we are still able to include them.

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question (since time would answer), but how long the delay would be before you put your videos on Youtube?

Also does Vessel support newer more efficient codec, like VP9 on youtube?, maybe H265?, i know hardware support isn't there yet, but it greatly reduce the bandwidth.

Thanks for signing up!

There will be a 7-day difference between the Vessel post date and the YouTube post date.

I can certainly ask, but you may get an answer more quickly through Vessel's own support channels.

Alright, so I would like to address a few things about the Vessel Change. I would like to start by saying that I am not opposed to Vessel, but there are a couple of things that I need to bring up.

1. In regards to switching to Vessel, some of us already have account. Many of us would not only like the one year of free Vessel, but also to show our support. How are we supposed to sign up with Vessel using your affilate link if we have an account, and get the free year?

2. This is an issue with Vessel. If I am paying for a service, I would like to think that I am getting a more premium one. However, currently the video quality on Vessel is horrendous, YouTube isn't known for its high quality, but Vessel makes it look amazing. I personally am reluctant to watch your new videos on Vessel, as the quality is really quite bad, and I feel with all the work that you put into production quality I am not doing your videos right, and I want the best experience watching them.

3. In regards to the player, no actual quality options? This is seriously a massive thing, I want to choose whether I am in 1080p or 360p myself, and I want to choose if I want to go up to 4K. Hell, I don't even know if it has 4K! While this is an issue with Vessel, as you are switching over to such a new platform it is one which becomes yours. 

My main complaints are not with your intentions from switching over, and I support you in it. However, if you and vessel are trying to get people to switch, I think that there needs to be a quality incentive, and not just a early access one. Vessel still feels very much in its beta stages, and needs to offer a better service to get people to switch over. I would be interested to see what all of you at LMG think about this, and if you have any idea if Vessel is planning on improving their video service (as it is what the website is for, after all). 

Good luck with the switch LMG!

1. PM me on the forum with your name and email used to sign up for Vessel. Can't guarantee that I can get it taken care of tonight, but I will certainly do my best to get you the free year when I have a bit  more time.

2. We hope they will be adding more quality options sooner than later. We have already discussed this with them and they seemed open to the idea.

3. We are not switching - just adding Vessel as another layer to our release schedule. If you want to watch everything on YouTube with the higher quality options now, you can do that! We will still be posting everything to YouTube, just 7 days later than Vessel.

Really appreciate the feedback, you phrased it really constructively and facilitated discussion rather than just voicing a complaint. I agree with your points and we have discussed, and will continue to discuss, these things with the folks over at Vessel :) they seemed open to our ideas so far, we'll just have to see if they choose to execute on them!

Thank you for supporting!!!

The one problem with Vessel is that it isn't very mobile friendly, there's no android app whatsoever

Totally agree. Hoping we'll have more info on that soon.

With Vessel will I finally see some videos from LTT that involve benchmarking new gpus testing how they do at different resolutions with PHYSX on??!?!?!?!?!?

Haha you never know!

If the videos that go live on youtube would have gone up at the same time even if Vessel wasn't a thing then that's fair enough.

If videos are going up with a 3 day delay just so you can upload them to Vessel then that is very disappointing considering not everyone watches your videos on a computer and can't access Vessel.

Just saw that it is a 7 day delay not 3 days, wow....

I can understand not wanting all your revenue to come from one place and being screwed if that revenue went away but 7 days is a kick in the balls for people who have been watching Linus from his NCIX days like me.

anyone know if vessle has a roku app ? Tend to watch LTT stuff in the bedroom on my roku so the mrs leaves me in peace would be great if there was an app

So you guys are switching to Vessel. That's cool. It's a paid platform... not so cool. YouTube gives a lot of options for viewers like me. Starting with the obvious: Quality. Since you guys have the equipment to shoot 4K I can choose to watch it at that quality on YT if I choose to. However Vessel only has an Auto/On switch? HUUUH?

Also I can like/dislike, favorite, playlist, etc. videos on YT... don't see that on Vessel. All there is is a heart. So now Linus will have to say Heart, Like or Dislike this video?

While I don't use CC at least there's the option! And how am I supposed to click on Linus's face if there are no annotations on Vessel?? Even links in the details aren't clickable!

So YouTube gives all these options and is free yet Vessel is supposedly a paid Premium service that lacks SOOO many basic things that we all are used to from YT (spoiled much). Now while I understand the reason for the switch with YT being stingy b***hes and cutting content creator revenue I feel like Vessel isn't on par as it is now (nowhere close!). This is however my first impression so opinions may change in time. Since I got a free year to use it I'll be seeing how the platform will evolve over time and will be coming there to watch Linus make the usual fool of himself to support LMG. Hopefully it will improve in my eyes as the time goes on. However what I'm confused about is after the "trial" has ended and I'll have to pay how long would one have to wait between Vessel release and subsequent YT release? 

7 days... got it!

TL;DR Vessel kinda sucks a lot right now. LMG is awesome and I support whatever you do. Go make Vessel better!

@nicklmg I think I'll give it a miss

I dont see it robust enough to compare it to youtube, does vessel have there own server's all over the world so video's can be cached?

I can see issue's coming if its all just based out of the state's.

also have you talked to other youtuber's and see how the "tip jar" is working for them.

I know TB has it and I usually throw him some coins since its easy.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Is anyone else having terrible lag on Vessel, even when not forcing HD quality? Youtube runs perfectly at 1080p. 

You guys should have waited till the service becomes more stable and should able to provide more features to the user. The main disappointments are:

1. The lack of mobile support because I always watch videos on my mobile.

2. Lack of quality control over playback. I have a crappy internet connection and a video above 480P is a horrible experience.

3. Their website is terribly slow, it took almost 4x more time than to open a video on YouTube.

PS: I am not really complaining rather take them as a suggestion.

Anyway really love you guys and I understand that you need to do this as you have to afford half a dozen employees. Really love your content, great variety and awesome quality of production. Would really love to completely make a transition if the problems are resolved.

We all Love You Linus and Linus Media Group in India. Best wishes from our side, Keep Going :)  :) .

Me too!!

Still very early in the process - I'm sure they would appreciate feedback about that through their support system!

If I were you I would sign up for the free year, even if you don't start watching now. A lot can change in a year! And if you have feedback about their layout, I'm sure they would love to hear from you.

Patreon is a difficult one. We evaluated it and we thought that this made more sense.

We may explore other options in the future, so stay tuned for that :)

Definitely see where you're coming from. We have spoken with them about higher resolutions and higher bitrates, and they seemed open to both. Could see that change happen within the free year, though I certainly can't guarantee it.

I'll pass on the feedback. Thanks!

Nope, there will still be ads on our YouTube videos as long as we are still able to include them.

Thanks for signing up!

There will be a 7-day difference between the Vessel post date and the YouTube post date.

I can certainly ask, but you may get an answer more quickly through Vessel's own support channels.

1. PM me on the forum with your name and email used to sign up for Vessel. Can't guarantee that I can get it taken care of tonight, but I will certainly do my best to get you the free year when I have a bit  more time.

2. We hope they will be adding more quality options sooner than later. We have already discussed this with them and they seemed open to the idea.

3. We are not switching - just adding Vessel as another layer to our release schedule. If you want to watch everything on YouTube with the higher quality options now, you can do that! We will still be posting everything to YouTube, just 7 days later than Vessel.

Really appreciate the feedback, you phrased it really constructively and facilitated discussion rather than just voicing a complaint. I agree with your points and we have discussed, and will continue to discuss, these things with the folks over at Vessel :) they seemed open to our ideas so far, we'll just have to see if they choose to execute on them!

Thank you for supporting!!!

Totally agree. Hoping we'll have more info on that soon.

Haha you never know!

Sorry, switching was the wrong word, I understand that it is a side platform. What I meant switching from one primary hub of your content to two, so I guess I meant switching up how you run LMG online, and how you distribute the content.

Thanks for being so helpful with organising people with pre-existing accounts, I have PMed you about that. 

As for quality concerns, I realise they probably will address that, just felt that I should voice that that was a major reason for me not wanting to view content on vessel currently, as quality is a big concern to me. I hope they will improve, as I think competition for YouTube is a good thing, as competition in any market makes the other businesses step up their game.

Hopefully as Vessel matures it will get better, with a more refined UI, some more information about the service on their page, and a better video player.

Thanks for your hard work with getting back to everyone Nick, and everyone at LMG!

Hi, sorry about so few posts; I'm... bad at forums.  I normally tend to just float around the comments section of videos.  But, at least in this thread, it seems like you guys are doing a great job of communicating with your users.  A quick question I had, since it looks like you guys are working pretty closely with Vessel, is do you know if they plan to implement some sort of playback speed control?  Something similar to what Youtube implemented a while back?  That's probably the feature I use the most and need for my video consumption.  When I watched some of your new videos on Vessel, no offense but I was struggling.  I need my double time.

am i the only one who thinks the resolution on vessel is screwed up?

am i the only one who thinks the resolution on vessel is screwed up?

Nope, it only looks like 720p to me even if I can handle 1440p youtube videos just fine

How much of a delay there is between the videos being released on youtube and on vessel. Also, is the content on vessel ad-free since it is behind a paywall?

So you can't watch videos on Vessel without an account?  That sucks, because I won't sign up due to their privacy policy. 

At least on YT you can watch without an account while blocking all cookies.

I'll support you on vessel because I'm a sucker for early access plus you guys deserve the money.

But vessel needs to step up its game. The video quality isn't horrendous but it isn't by any means good. Likewise, audio comes out as if it was a very low bitrate. I don't know if that's my ears playing tricks on me or if there is an actual problem with the videos. The other issue with playback is that audio starts half a second before video does so there is a black screen for a moment while you are already talking. By the time the video is displayed the two are synced again so it's not the biggest issue in the world but definitely noticeable. 

Like everyone else has said above me, if this wants to be considered a premium service then it needs a premium feel. Vessel can't just rely on the early access model. They need serious improvement on quality of the videos and your ability to manipulate the quality of the videos. 

I do like the more modern layout and UI though. Also the video takes up a lot more real estate on my monitor when not in fullscreen which is something I REALLY appreciate for multitasking

NiQPGhS.jpg

After reading through all these posts, I pretty much seem to have the same gripes as most others. However, I do realize that it is a nascent platform currently, and will (hopefully) improve and address its issues in time.

My only concern is that, unless LMG is going to end up making a reasonable amount of revenue from this platform, it may have been a little early to make this big of a push - a 7 day lag to youtube would be fine and dandy... if there were quality controls on Vessel, if there was a mobile app with chromecast support, etc. At the moment, it is a bit of a (pretty) downgrade.

That said, fingers crossed that the Vessel devs listen to gripes and work fast to fix them :D Good luck to all involved and I hope this works out, and/or gives YouTube the competition and kick up the kiester it sorely needs!

Party on Garth

So would you still being doing the one video a day on youtube or would you only release the video after the 3 days have passed?

We will release a video every day on YouTube. If you pretend that Vessel does not exist, you will notice no difference whatsoever.

This is disappointing, I use a smart tv to watch all my Youtube via an app made specifically for the TV. This means I'm not going to get all the non-time sensitive videos on time even if I did want to use Vessel.

I've already passed this on to the Vessel team. Hoping they can address this and mobile soon, but for now I'm afraid there's nothing we can do man, sorry :(

I find this service really good! It's simple and easy to use! I was wondering how often would you update the videos on Vessel? Every day? But overall i find this a great service that will benefit your fans and yourself at the LinusMediaGroup as well!

Every day! One per day on Vessel, one per day on YouTube still. Thank you for the kind words!

My only gripe with vessel is that you can not watch it on mobile (yet). Usually, I watch the ltt video when I'm at school right when it comes out on my phone, and then maby at home once again on my tablet or pc.

Already brought up that mobile is a big deal in an email to them. Let's hope they can get it rolling soon!

I don't really understand why you're putting stuff up on vessel.

Is it like the way they have paid sponsors on the roosterteeth website, so you simply reward fans with content earlier but still put it out on the normal channels?

Essentially yes. If you pretend like Vessel doesn't exist, you will see no difference in our YouTube schedule. If you want to pay the small subscription fee (or for this year, watch for free by signing up before Thursday night) you can watch the videos 7 days early.

Some feedback

1. No Android app is a HUGE, HUGE letdown for me. I'm not gonna buy a new  phone just so that I can watch your videos on Vessel. When is it coming? Preferably more concret than "Soon" as that might mean a pretty wide range of things

2. No option to select quality? I really enjoyed when you started uploading content in 4k and 1440p on YouTube (as I have a 1440p monitor), and now the content is only in 720pish (That is what it at least looks to me). So do we have to wait to get to see the videos in good quality

3. Is Vessel using HTML5 or Flash for their videos. Pretty huge deal for me as HTML5 Videos has been way more stable than Flash

1. Totally get that. I've already passed on the message that mobile support is going to need a big improvement to them.

2. For now you will have to wait for YouTube releases to see the videos in higher qualities. We're hoping Vessel will add support for higher quality settings soon, but I don't have a set date.

3. Just asked. Might have to make a post later on with answers to the FAQs, or add some more to the OP :P

The first gripes that immediately strike me upon signing up and using Vessel (with the LTT link of course) are the lack of an android app, and the cursor not disappearing when watching a video. Also, not liking the ui much, and I hate the resolution options. Low res HD and not HD just doesn't cut it for your PC Master Race Fans. However, love the free year, love the extra income for LMG, and love the butt ton of new LTT videos I get to watch today.

:D thanks for supporting!

Have passed on most of that feedback already, though I will bring up the cursor not disappearing!

everything I want to say has pretty much been said.

Videos are buffering like balls

Video quality even in HD is horrible

(can't open videos in new tab with mouse scroll button(small matter but can get annoying)

but yeah, I support Vessel and I really hope they will improve it

I think we can expect some improvements soon. I hope so at least! Will update this thread when I get more info.

So will we see in-content ads at vessel and none on youtube?

In-content ads will continue on YouTube for the foreseeable future.

If the videos that go live on youtube would have gone up at the same time even if Vessel wasn't a thing then that's fair enough.

If videos are going up with a 3 day delay just so you can upload them to Vessel then that is very disappointing considering not everyone watches your videos on a computer and can't access Vessel.

Just saw that it is a 7 day delay not 3 days, wow....

I can understand not wanting all your revenue to come from one place and being screwed if that revenue went away but 7 days is a kick in the balls for people who have been watching Linus from his NCIX days like me.

YouTube schedule is not affected in the slightest. We banked an extra week of content for this launch, so if you act like Vessel doesn't exist and just keep using YouTube you will notice literally no difference. I repeat - content schedule on YouTube is not affected in the slightest, we will still be releasing a video on YouTube tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after...

It's really unfortunate the amount of people who don't seem to understand that you guys aren't leaving YouTube (even though it was clearly stated in the video that you are not.) The fact that the same people seem to believe that the high quality content LMG provides is completely free to produce is equally saddening.

I created my account over at Vessel to give it a try, and everything seems to be working smoothly so far. I'd like to echo some of the other user's comments about the lack of an Android app. Since I do a lot of my video watching during commute,  I'd very much like to see an app made available in the future. Also, I do not see any options for creating a playlist. Is this something that is going to be implemented in the future, or am I just missing it? One other thing that I've noticed, that is just minor nit-picking mind you, is that links in the video descriptions are not clickable.

Overall I think this is an exciting development, and I will continue to support you guys as long as you are producing such excellent content. All the best to LMG going forward!

paywalls..

I would pay a monthly fee to watch your videos in regular time? (when they are released)

but this whole time we've been watching on release without paying a fee?

I... I.. I'm almost depressed, jesus.

I won't sit here and judge. that's not right. but people donate to your cause a lot. more than most YouTubers.

Patreon would of been nice, but not enough I'm assuming? this is your business.. and you are maximazing profits.

I'm such an idiot, idk what I expected..

gQ1K8.jpg

my feels right now:

l3PhA.jpg

Thanks for everyone's comments. I also appreciate that everyone has been posting such constructive criticism rather than just silly rants.

The truth of the matter is that 99% of our viewers would have never noticed we were uploading earlier somewhere else if we didn't broadcast it.

Vessel is an extra thing, not a replacement to our existing youtube business.

It's true regarding this. I understand your reasonings for diversifying your content distribution however I disagree with how Vessel is doing it. There's also a number of features the consumer looses, the integration with other accounts, there's a lack of Android application, the quality of the videos being streamed FROM vessel is of an inferior quality to those of YouTube and there's the issue of the pay-wall which will put a lot of people off.

Whilst granted and I believe good on you for taking the stance of universally releasing certain product videos, I don't believe that vessel has a long term future due to the nature of how they've conducted their business and I feel I'll just continue to view on YouTube as I have previously done. Google's recent changes I believe has negatively impacted their business but from a "getting in the game" perspective, it's easy to upload videos to youtube. A lot of the attraction to viewing online content is the ability to also do so yourself.

We watch streamers on twitch because we can emulate and stream our own stuff, we watch on youtube because we can emulate.

Again, from a marketer & business owners perspective, you're making a solid move, however I would take it a step forward and lean on them until you can release ALL your videos on both platforms at the same time. If their business model is holding your content to ransom, that's not a good deal for you, or your viewership.

Kindest regards.