New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

We will release a video every day on YouTube. If you pretend that Vessel does not exist, you will notice no difference whatsoever.

I've already passed this on to the Vessel team. Hoping they can address this and mobile soon, but for now I'm afraid there's nothing we can do man, sorry :(

Every day! One per day on Vessel, one per day on YouTube still. Thank you for the kind words!

Already brought up that mobile is a big deal in an email to them. Let's hope they can get it rolling soon!

Essentially yes. If you pretend like Vessel doesn't exist, you will see no difference in our YouTube schedule. If you want to pay the small subscription fee (or for this year, watch for free by signing up before Thursday night) you can watch the videos 7 days early.

1. Totally get that. I've already passed on the message that mobile support is going to need a big improvement to them.

2. For now you will have to wait for YouTube releases to see the videos in higher qualities. We're hoping Vessel will add support for higher quality settings soon, but I don't have a set date.

3. Just asked. Might have to make a post later on with answers to the FAQs, or add some more to the OP :P

:D thanks for supporting!

Have passed on most of that feedback already, though I will bring up the cursor not disappearing!

I think we can expect some improvements soon. I hope so at least! Will update this thread when I get more info.

In-content ads will continue on YouTube for the foreseeable future.

YouTube schedule is not affected in the slightest. We banked an extra week of content for this launch, so if you act like Vessel doesn't exist and just keep using YouTube you will notice literally no difference. I repeat - content schedule on YouTube is not affected in the slightest, we will still be releasing a video on YouTube tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after...

Awesome! Another gripe: videos won't keep playing after paused for a few minutes, the page has to be refreshed.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

How long does the confirmation email take to come? I've signed up ~10 minutes ago and I've not gotten anything in my @hotmail.com email box; I've even checked my spam box.

You say there still will be a video posted to youtube every day, but will always be the exactly same videos?

Good luck with this move!

AKA Link0712 on Twitch/WAN Show

First Impressions about vessel (not the move), may be your feedback to them will be more valued than a user like me 

• on a smaller window, top part of video cuts off(see attachment if ye want)
  • may be a rating system
  • idk if its related but chrome crashed, twice , but that could be the numerous tabs and windows i had on. but doesn't happen usually thus the mention 

and please dont give away your pc. its heartbreaking even if are doing it for the fans

post-32705-0-15503300-1427186291.jpg

post-32705-0-15503300-1427186291.jpg

My only issue with Vessel is that the loading times are an arse. I can watch YouTube 4K with no problems, and yet my connection struggles when I'm trying to load SD on Vessel.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

YouTube schedule is not affected in the slightest. We banked an extra week of content for this launch, so if you act like Vessel doesn't exist and just keep using YouTube you will notice literally no difference. I repeat - content schedule on YouTube is not affected in the slightest, we will still be releasing a video on YouTube tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after...

But we will still be getting videos a week later than everyone else purely because the only platform they are on outside of PC is IOS.

I signed up for Vessel but it is pretty much useless to me, the browser on my TV doesn't do flash or html5.

I like the New layout much more then  Youtube  the commenting system is much better without the the personalized  avatars and sometimes offensive pictures people use. The simple  Large first letter of the poster name is very nice. its almost much easier to find relevant matching content  then some of the suggestions  youtube gives me after one of your videos.

The video compression  could be better. Colors and contrast are really bad for me on vessel even using their HD setting.

Also I think i would be more willing to pay 3$ a month for early access / no ads elswhere on the page besides a very short  preroll from what i have seen then any of youtubes  ads.

I also hope that this type of system keep the troll post and comments to a min and more on track.

Are they paying you guys enough for this? Would you make more money through vessel than a service like Paetron or pimping your own contribute thing more?

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about vessel in the comments I've been trying to help explain in the comments on youtube @HardCore parkour, what people need to realize is if you don't want to support LMG with vessel thats fine, you won't see any difference with content, just act like you never saw this video and everything will seem normal :) however I personally signed up for vessel ;)

That plataform seems cool enough,but one thing that bugs me is that it lacks the playback speed control on the player.

I follow a lot of channels and i usually watch videos at 1.5x to save time.

By the way,what currently benefit you guys most,us watching/liking the video on youtube or on vessel?

Hey Guys,

Vessel doesnt seem to have an app for android that I can find. (Im not sure about IOS, I dont have it)  Are there plans to be one? or will you have to watch it in-browser forever, as that's a bit akward. As I dont always have a computer with me, going between houses etc, but I always have my phone.

Thanks, Dravedon

Hello,

Will ALL of the video on Vessel after a delay will be posted on youtube? Or Vessel will have exclusice content ?

Good luck guys !

10x

What if I don’t have a credit card or find paying challenging? Vessel is committed to keeping the subscription price as low as possible, supplemented with light load of advertising.

If I pay for something like that, why the hell would I want ads?  The reason I pay for things that are normally free are to remove ads.  That's the reason I cancelled my Hulu subscription the first month.  The commenting system looks cool and all, but doesn't seem interactive at all.  Any the most annoying thing of all that makes NO sense is the inability to middle click on links/videos to open them in new tabs.

But, you've gotta make money and with Google turning into asshats I can't blame you for figuring out a new way.  I'll be sticking to the random stuff that makes it to YouTube until you end that.  Vessel offers nothing to me so I won't be watching there.

2. For now you will have to wait for YouTube releases to see the videos in higher qualities. We're hoping Vessel will add support for higher quality settings soon, but I don't have a set date.

It's like consoles vs. PCs, and LinusMediaGroup is Ubisoft. You're giving "Vessel peasants" access first, but at lower resolution and quality.

1. Totally get that. I've already passed on the message that mobile support is going to need a big improvement to them.

3. Just asked. Might have to make a post later on with answers to the FAQs, or add some more to the OP :P

Thanks for answering Nick

It just feels weird that Vessel is  advertised as a premium platform when the things I mentioned really makes it feel more like a Early Access platform 

vessel seems pretty good overall for creators to get more money but the only problem i have with it is how long it takes to buffer a video, on youtube i can click play and itll load without stopping the video to buffer, if that issue gets fixed then i can see it being used a lot better

Patreon is a difficult one. We evaluated it and we thought that this made more sense.

In what way does Vessel appeal to you over Patreon?  Yes, Patreon does use a tiered system, but that is completely up to the content producer's discretion to use or not.  @JimSterling, for example, has only one tier.  If you like his YouTube content, you pay whatever amount you feel like per month (the minimum is $1).

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Great idea, I wish you all the best. I think it's time for everyone to stop sucking on Youtube's nip and starts looking for other sources. You've made the jump look easy even though I bet it wasn't, that's signs of a good team.

USERNAME: iamraymondjames

LINK: https://www.vessel.com/videos/JYZEYDYx0

LINK: https://www.vessel.com/videos/G-DUjgUyY

Tried vessel.. i think it's fine, and an easy way to support the channel. The 1year sub is great.
Youtube is just better and i wish we could support u more on that platform: i'm thinking like some donations or a 5$ subscription form like twitch, but a the end this channel/s is far from a "one man team" and u need more than that.. so yeah, vessel is a fine way to go.

I'm wondering if the giveaway is global or not?

It is!

anyone know if vessle has a roku app ? Tend to watch LTT stuff in the bedroom on my roku so the mrs leaves me in peace would be great if there was an app

Not sure, but please PM me with a reminder to ask. I've been spamming them with feedback from this thread, so I feel like I should give them a moment's respite :P launch night for them, tons to deal with!

So you guys are switching to Vessel. That's cool. It's a paid platform... not so cool. YouTube gives a lot of options for viewers like me. Starting with the obvious: Quality. Since you guys have the equipment to shoot 4K I can choose to watch it at that quality on YT if I choose to. However Vessel only has an Auto/On switch? HUUUH?

Also I can like/dislike, favorite, playlist, etc. videos on YT... don't see that on Vessel. All there is is a heart. So now Linus will have to say Heart, Like or Dislike this video?

While I don't use CC at least there's the option! And how am I supposed to click on Linus's face if there are no annotations on Vessel?? Even links in the details aren't clickable!

So YouTube gives all these options and is free yet Vessel is supposedly a paid Premium service that lacks SOOO many basic things that we all are used to from YT (spoiled much). Now while I understand the reason for the switch with YT being stingy b***hes and cutting content creator revenue I feel like Vessel isn't on par as it is now (nowhere close!). This is however my first impression so opinions may change in time. Since I got a free year to use it I'll be seeing how the platform will evolve over time and will be coming there to watch Linus make the usual fool of himself to support LMG. Hopefully it will improve in my eyes as the time goes on. However what I'm confused about is after the "trial" has ended and I'll have to pay how long would one have to wait between Vessel release and subsequent YT release? 

7 days... got it!

TL;DR Vessel kinda sucks a lot right now. LMG is awesome and I support whatever you do. Go make Vessel better!

We are not switching - we are posting to Vessel in addition to YouTube. We will still post a video to YouTube, every single day, as we have for years. We've brought up the quality issue with them and we hope they will address it soon.

A year is a long time. I expect they'll do a lot over that period.

Thank you for your continued support!

@nicklmg I think I'll give it a miss

I dont see it robust enough to compare it to youtube, does vessel have there own server's all over the world so video's can be cached?

I can see issue's coming if its all just based out of the state's.

also have you talked to other youtuber's and see how the "tip jar" is working for them.

I know TB has it and I usually throw him some coins since its easy.

I would agree that only hosting from the US is going to be an issue. Not sure if that is the case or not currently. Please PM me with a reminder to ask about that. Have been spamming them with feedback so far, feel like I need to give them a few minutes to process.

Tip jars are fine for solo creators, but we now have a relatively large staff for an online video company and we want to continue our growth. We need reliable, predictable revenue streams.

Is anyone else having terrible lag on Vessel, even when not forcing HD quality? Youtube runs perfectly at 1080p. 

Could be the large load they're experiencing seeing as they just launched less than two hours ago. If it persists feel free to PM me and I'll follow up with them.

You guys should have waited till the service becomes more stable and should able to provide more features to the user. The main disappointments are:

1. The lack of mobile support because I always watch videos on my mobile.

2. Lack of quality control over playback. I have a crappy internet connection and a video above 480P is a horrible experience.

3. Their website is terribly slow, it took almost 4x more time than to open a video on YouTube.

PS: I am not really complaining rather take them as a suggestion.

Anyway really love you guys and I understand that you need to do this as you have to afford half a dozen employees. Really love your content, great variety and awesome quality of production. Would really love to completely make a transition if the problems are resolved.

We all Love You Linus and Linus Media Group in India. Best wishes from our side, Keep Going :)  :) .

1. Totally get that. Hoping we'll have more info soon.

2. Have brought it up with them, hoping they will address soon.

3. Remember that they are less than 2 hours past their initial launch, so they are probably experiencing extremely high traffic right now. PM me on here if it persists over the next few days.

Really appreciate the feedback!

Thank you for supporting us!!!

Sorry, switching was the wrong word, I understand that it is a side platform. What I meant switching from one primary hub of your content to two, so I guess I meant switching up how you run LMG online, and how you distribute the content.

Thanks for being so helpful with organising people with pre-existing accounts, I have PMed you about that. 

As for quality concerns, I realise they probably will address that, just felt that I should voice that that was a major reason for me not wanting to view content on vessel currently, as quality is a big concern to me. I hope they will improve, as I think competition for YouTube is a good thing, as competition in any market makes the other businesses step up their game.

Hopefully as Vessel matures it will get better, with a more refined UI, some more information about the service on their page, and a better video player.

Thanks for your hard work with getting back to everyone Nick, and everyone at LMG!

No problem! Just wanted to make sure we're giving you guys a clear message. Right, totally get that. Thank you for clarifying.

Right on. I will definitely respond as soon as I can.

I agree! We all want higher quality videos - especially us, trust me :D

Your hopes are the same as mine haha.

Of course! You guys make it possible for us to do what we do, want to make sure the conversation is open!

Hi, sorry about so few posts; I'm... bad at forums.  I normally tend to just float around the comments section of videos.  But, at least in this thread, it seems like you guys are doing a great job of communicating with your users.  A quick question I had, since it looks like you guys are working pretty closely with Vessel, is do you know if they plan to implement some sort of playback speed control?  Something similar to what Youtube implemented a while back?  That's probably the feature I use the most and need for my video consumption.  When I watched some of your new videos on Vessel, no offense but I was struggling.  I need my double time.

Hah, no problem!

I don't know actually, but that is a great question! Please PM me with a reminder. I will definitely follow up with them, but I have been spamming them and want to make sure our feedback gets acknowledged, not ignored.

How much of a delay there is between the videos being released on youtube and on vessel. Also, is the content on vessel ad-free since it is behind a paywall?

There is a 7-day buffer between launch on Vessel and launch on YouTube. Vessel is still ad-supported.

I'll support you on vessel because I'm a sucker for early access plus you guys deserve the money.

But vessel needs to step up its game. The video quality isn't horrendous but it isn't by any means good. Likewise, audio comes out as if it was a very low bitrate. I don't know if that's my ears playing tricks on me or if there is an actual problem with the videos. The other issue with playback is that audio starts half a second before video does so there is a black screen for a moment while you are already talking. By the time the video is displayed the two are synced again so it's not the biggest issue in the world but definitely noticeable. 

Like everyone else has said above me, if this wants to be considered a premium service then it needs a premium feel. Vessel can't just rely on the early access model. They need serious improvement on quality of the videos and your ability to manipulate the quality of the videos. 

I do like the more modern layout and UI though. Also the video takes up a lot more real estate on my monitor when not in fullscreen which is something I REALLY appreciate for multitasking

Thank you!

I would agree. That black screen thing is weird... hope they get that resolved.

Agreed! We're making sure that is very clear to them.

I do too! Very design-focused - I just hope they can fix the lag issues. Awesome, glad you are already enjoying some of the benefits :D

After reading through all these posts, I pretty much seem to have the same gripes as most others. However, I do realize that it is a nascent platform currently, and will (hopefully) improve and address its issues in time.

My only concern is that, unless LMG is going to end up making a reasonable amount of revenue from this platform, it may have been a little early to make this big of a push - a 7 day lag to youtube would be fine and dandy... if there were quality controls on Vessel, if there was a mobile app with chromecast support, etc. At the moment, it is a bit of a (pretty) downgrade.

That said, fingers crossed that the Vessel devs listen to gripes and work fast to fix them :D Good luck to all involved and I hope this works out, and/or gives YouTube the competition and kick up the kiester it sorely needs!

Party on Garth

I hope they will make improvements soon!

To be clear - there isn't a 7-day lag, just a 7-day difference in most releases. We will still be uploading a new video to YouTube every single day.

Yes I hope so!

Party on Wayne :D :D

I think LTT is really underestimating how much this will fracture their community. There are basically going to be two separate communities eventually, with regards to conversations about their videos, making the non-Vessel subscribers feel ostracized and left out (even if that's not your intent, it will still have the same effect). Now whether they think this will have a notable effect on their bottom line is another story, but I really don't see this working out long term, especially since they're trying to do it with a service that has zero track record and questionable quality. I completely understand the decision to try something new given the recent Youtube changes but I'm very skeptical.