New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

I'm not winning about the move, it's ok and at least I get the point but, (this is not directly to Linus Tech but to the platform) Why launch an unfinished alpha-like service? Come on, I might as well do as others say and "pretend it doesn't exist" but, I could really like to have some ahead of time content. That being said Vessel seems soo slow at loading and the compression, quality (don't make talk about the interface)  and overall performance leave a lot to wish. I would also like to said that Linus Tech with such regarded as great tech critiques just fly by after this big inconsistencies which even in a free platform such as Google's Youtube would had been seen as totally unacceptable, in a paid platform well, they shouldn't even be a thing that exist. This is just an opinion and it is only to said what me and maybe some of us think, I gotta said the objective is not to hate but to criticize in a constructive way.

Even after that, you know we the real royal fans will always be to support to the cause. Thanks, and wish you luck with the things to come from this!

:D  :D 

Here's a banana:

". ,#
    \ `-._____,-'=/
     `._ ----- _,'
         `-----'

Why do they call it hyper text? Too much JAVA.
  • Build
    • CPU
      Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (BX80646I74790K)
    • Motherboard
      Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 5
    • RAM
      Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3
    • GPU
      Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    • Case
      NZXT Technologies H440 (Red and Black)
    • Storage
      Seagate 2TB Desktop SSHD 3.5-Inch & 240GB SanDisk Ultra II 2.5-Inch
    • PSU
      Corsair RM Series 750 80PLUS Gold
    • Cooling
      Corsair Hydro Series H100i
    • Operating System
      Windows 8.1 Pro

Not sure what the problem is but the videos are loading really slow, checked the task manager and it's only using about 10% of my bandwidth for some reason.

I'm using the IPad app, and the performance of this app is just hurrendous, and I mean hurrendous.

I have tried to watch the last 5 videos from LTT listed on here and not one has played for more than a few mins without freezing and needing to re-load the video, normally I'd think it's buffering right?

Well I don't know because it freezes and doesn't give any indication to what the

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

Quality is bad. How do I set a resolution? I want to watch at 4K sometimes and other times 1080p to save bandwidth. Do they have 60fps capability like YouTube? The "HD: On/Off" on your videos pisses me off more than "Anti-aliasing: On/Off" in games.

I was so depressed when I clicked that options button and saw such a tiny menu. It just isn't your style, Linus! 

Early access for a video game and early access for a video channel are very, very different.

We are still releasing videos every day on LTT - there will be no change in LTT's upload schedule

No sir. No they are not. Early access is early access and early access is bad no matter how you put it, especially when payments are involved.

Also, you're going to create another problem with this. People who do go to Vessel to watch your stuff there will unsubscribe from the YouTube channel since it's stupid to have the same content appear twice in a short time, and people who don't want to spend a buck will leave Vessel as it is and stay on YouTube. You'd be much better off going on Patreon or something similar.

Ye ole' train

Not sure what the problem is but the videos are loading really slow, checked the task manager and it's only using about 10% of my bandwidth for some reason.

I'm using the IPad app, and the performance of this app is just hurrendous, and I mean hurrendous.

I have tried to watch the last 5 videos from LTT listed on here and not one has played for more than a few mins without freezing and needing to re-load the video, normally I'd think it's buffering right?

Well I don't know because it freezes and doesn't give any indication to what the problem bloody is.

And I know it's not my connection because, if I switch to YouTube videos play like butter in 720p

Sorry for the rant of a reply. . .

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

Alright, I've thought about this the entire day, this is my feedback.

Firstly, I totally understand why you're going in a separate direction.  I am constantly frustrated by the ridiculous Youtube system, wherein you (big time, professional channels) are simply not consulted and Youtube can change their entire UI on a fly.  They can just disallow in video ads, simply for more profit.  The worst part, you the people who put in so much work get fucked and have very little input.

Now, this is the part in which I am debating.  Is it worth it to consumers to pay $3 / month to see the content early.  Because at the end of the day, I've been watching LTT for information about technology.  Many of the reviews I watch are to form my own opinion as to whether I will drop however much money on a product.  And it just seems kind of weird that in a sense, I am now paying for that.  And that just feels.. weird.  

Now, no one has answered my previous question, so perhaps this is an unwarranted post.  If Vessel would allow access to non subscribing users, for extra advertisements or something, that would be perfect.  

Also, I understand Vessel is NOT a replacement for Yotube.  But frankly, if there were delivered ads for non subscribed users, then I'd be fine if it was.  If the quality was the same, and now you can actually speak with someone there, that would be awesome.  The sense I get from you guys and many other YouTube professionals is that Google is a distant entity, who only sends you a pre-written letter with your trophy for making them all that money.  What a bloody joke.  

So that's my thoughts Nick/Linus whomever else will read this.  In summary, those are both the positives and negatives I see, so I'd say I am still on the fence.

Cheers

@Slick, you guys have said on a number of occasions that this service is not a replacement for YouTube.  Okay, that's fine.  It almost seems counter-intuitive in a couple of different ways.

1.  Given that the service is already low cost, it doesn't seem like you will be receiving that much money anyway after Vessel takes their cut.  For being a paid platform, Vessel has some major work to do.  I have noticed the quality drop that others have mentioned as well.

2.  Uploading to two different places seems like a lot of work for very little gain.  Why not just allow people to make one-time, monthly, or annual payments directly to LMG?  I mention direct payments since PayPal does take a cut, so having the option to bypass PayPal would be nice.

1. Can't comment on the financials of the deal. But yes, their qualities do need an update

2. We would have to provide a lot to incentivize more people to sign up for the annual contributor program. We would probably have to put a lot more work into that than just clicking upload and copy/pasting some text into a description. We evaluated our options, and this seemed like a good one to us.

This kind of feels like christmas. Multiple LMG videos released on the same day AND presents! :)

I really like both vessel's concept and the site itself. Missing mobile support for android is completely ridiculous though. I can't even get this to work via dektop-mode-browsing on my android tablet...

If it wasn't out of support for you guys, I would totally boycott this service until they got their priorities straight.

Yeah!

Totally agree. We've already brought this up with them.

Hah, well thank you for your support nonetheless!

Will there be a Vessel Android app? I mostly watch LTT videos on my phone, and I would like to do the same with Vessel

Apparently there will be, not sure on timing though.

I signed up, watched a couple of videos.  I will not be using Vessel to watch videos at all, even for free.  There is no option to watch videos at fast speed, a complete deal killer for me.  I can't spend all day watching the WAN show and other LTT and similar YouTube videos.  I can spend half a day however.

I realize the service is new and that option may be added later, but for now nope.

We've asked them for these updates, not sure if/when they will be updated!

Also are all the 1 time posters( new accounts ) on the giveaway going to be counted ? And how will you combat people just making 1000 accounts ?

Yes, everyone who enters will be counted. The same way we always do (we have strategies for dealing with that, it's not our first giveaway :P).

Are the wan show going to be put on vessel?

Yes, but they will go up on YouTube at the same time.

being aware that I'm missing out is painful.

$3 is not a huge deal. but Vessel shouldn't see 0.01% of my $3 until that site is up to par. is it in beta?

because it looks like beta. >.>

Just came out of beta.

I live in the UK and the Vessel videos are loading really really slowly. Even 4K works for me on YouTube without any problems. Pausing the vessel videos to let them buffer does not seem to work for me also as the video preloads a few seconds then stops. Even if I leave it for like 30 mins only a few seconds of video are preloaded.

I'll pass on the feedback. Thanks!

I support your attempt to increase revenue but the lack of mobile support makes Vessel completely unusable for me. I watch videos exclusively on my Shield and unless I'm missing something, Vessel has absolutely no support for Android devices. I don't have a problem with the move to a subscription-based service but I have to question the choice of platform. Mobile support and HD video are basic features for a streaming service, let alone a subs5cription only website. I hope these features will be implemented in the short term because I'd like to be a part of this move.

They don't have Android support yet - hopefully it's not too far off.

username is jhonexcell

and my 2 favorite videos are https://www.vessel.com/videos/DkWN4qqW1and https://www.vessel.com/videos/HDN7G5UMs

Wrong thread! Please post your entry in http://bit.ly/linusgiveaway

I have had some problems with Vessel. Namely it does not seem that I have the one free year when I followed the linustech link and the payer to active a free month also isn't working

Can you PM me here with your signup information on Vessel? I'll pass it on to them and hopefully we can get you hooked up with the free year.

Wait, so I HAVE to have an account to even watch a video on any channel?

That's an instant no-no. Honestly. That's just stupid. 

Also, look at this. So many first-time-posters in the giveaway thread. They make an account just to enter the giveaway, and they do the same with their Vessel account. Once the whole ordeal is over they'll leave Vessel (or never even watch a single video to begin with) and this forum and Vessel will be a graveyard in 2 months.

Ye ole' train

LinusTechTips,

I beleive that this was an ecellent buisness decision. It is good to have multiple places to upload your content, that way you may come across many more followers, and, even sponsers. I like the idea of the giveaway too, as you get not only more users singing up at the forums, but also Vessel, and therefore pushing your work out further into the media.

My username of Vessel: Juselicar

Here are my links to some of my two favorite videos on Vessel, both of which I have commented on:

NCASE M1: https://www.vessel.com/videos/P7U9FOT4G

Nvidia GeForce Titan X: https://www.vessel.com/videos/JemZ8O7Hy

I would very much like to see content on giveaways in the future, as they are benefitial to not only the winners, but also yourselves.

Hope that it works out well for you! :)

-Justus Carlson

After using Vessel fora little while I do have some concerns regarding the site. These aren't issues you guys can fix but moreso issues Vessel has to fix themselves.

My initial reaction is that the site looks damn good. The colors don't distract from the video, and it's obvious the content is front and center. I was not expecting it to be all that snappy but is considerably faster than YouTube at playing video - though I'm aware that this is most likely determined on where you live, as I've heard less than glowing reviews from others. The only thing I saw as a major downside to the UI was that it has no page for followed channels only - just the individual channels and a home page with channels selected for you. On top of that, the channel pages, due to being tiled with different sized thumbnails, doesn't properly list newest content first; but to be fair, you can easily access this list anyways. No Android support, however, is completely unacceptable. Overall, the site looks and responds great, but they need an Android client ASAP (I watch a lot of YouTube in bed).

But my main concern isn't about the platform itself. It's about the content it holds.

As of now, the site is practically empty. There just aren't that many channels. And I can see this being a good thing - it cuts out all the crap you see out there. But as of now, there aren't that many channels that interest me. Obviously LTT, and maybe UnboxTherapy, but other than that, nothing. While I'm sure there will be many more channels in the future, for now that's the major thing that can hold me back from Vessel: everything else I already watch is on YouTube. I'm subscribed to 20+ channels on YouTube, and now I have this other service on another site that's specifically one or two channels. Considering the content is going to be on YouTube anyways, it's a complete other platform for a fraction of the content that I'm going to be seeing anyways. And while I imagine I might try it out for a while with this free trial, I just can't see myself paying $3 a month for 1/10th of my video consumption. And I don't mean to sound greedy - that's only $36 a year, after all - but as of now I just don't see the benefit in it. Perhaps they'll be able to sway my thoughts in the next year (which I hope they do, I like the idea behind it).

All in all, I think Vessel is a step in the right direction, but unless they pick up much more content very quickly, I can easily see them going the way of the dodo. People only bought into Netflix once the library grew so big. Vessel is going to have to do the same.

Does anyone else have videos loading very slowly?

Curing shitposts by shitposts

The two things that bother me.

1. No mobile support. I know you've addressed this already, but It's 2015, I don't understand how a competent business can launch a video streaming platform without mobile support from the get-go. That's crazy to me.

2. I don't see an option to receive emails for each new upload (or any options at all, really) on vessel. I won't be logging into Vessel on a regular basis just to see if you guys have uploaded a new video, so an email alert for new videos from my Vessel subscriptions would be great.

Vessel sounds like a cool idea but I am still getting used to it. And I have a few questions.

First, can you just explain about the WAN show? Where will it be streamed and will we get it live on youtube?

Second, are all your channels going? (SuperFun, TechQuickie, LinusCatTips,...)

And lastly, I noticed that video playback is not as good on vessel, will this improve?

I am not a big fan of the change but I do understand. Hopefully I can get used to it (which i am sure I will). Have a good time in Asia. Eat alot of food for the rest of us ;)

Sudo Chocolate

After reading through most of the thread, I have to agree. Vessel is pretty shitty at the moment. They could use massive amount of improvement. I'd voice my specific complaints, but they've all been voiced multiple times throughout this thread. My only real question is, why Vessel? Would not something like Vimeo (Vimeo on Demand? I don't know the specifics of it.) have worked just fine? Vimeo isn't the greatest, but it's a hell of a lot better than Vessel is currently.

That said, I will be using Vessel to watch the videos early along with others, but I hope that this is not permanent. Vessel needs to improve so dramatically...

Might I also ask what other alternatives LMG looked at? (If it was already stated in the thread, I apologize for missing it.)

Australia checking in here, even with NBN speeds (100/40mbps) it buffers the "HD" content forever. It also looks like HD is only 720p, a hideous resolution on a larger monitor. My connection can happily stream 2k youtube so until vessel lifts its game and realises that their customers are not only in america its a very disappointing service.

This also makes me wonder if LMG actually asked questions to vessel about international bandwidth, and if all their customers would have access to the content in a reasonable manner, or what their roll-out of international improvements looks like. 

But, i also understand that as a new company the start-up capital required to create a global high quality streaming service would be astonishingly high. so for now i will support them, in the hope that they grow to be a legitimate competitor to youtube, because maybe then youtube would lift their game.

I get the reasons for the move an totally support the decision. Thanks for ensuring that you can still upload time-sensitive videos on YouTube ASAP. As for non-time-sensitive videos, I don't get why people are whining about not being able to see some random video about random stuff for a whole week. Who cares? You still get to see it eventually for free. Keep up the good work!

Non.

This video is made possible by Durex, the best darn condoms out there.

if you need the videos early just pay if you dont just use youtube

Question:

I registered when I first heard Linus n Luke mentioned Vessel during the WAN show sometime back. Do I have to register a new account to get the free access? :(

I did the same. Earlier, today, they sent me an email inviting me to join the free one year account. You should try to search in your span box or contact them or maybe PM nicklmg.

I have watched a few videos on vessel now and I'm not very impressed with it. The real killer for me is the lack of quality options other than HD or auto HD. For someone like me with like 3 mbps internet, it makes it a huge struggle to try and watch. Youtube loads just fine for me at low quality. I also found that zooming the page out to about 70% makes it a lot easier to navigate for some reason too. Final thoughts: Meh I'll stick with youtube. 

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some help.  I can't sign up because Vessel keeps saying that

We’re sorry, you are not eligible to create an account.

Any recommendations are welcome.  I really wanted to try this today...  So much for that idea.