New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

So Linus can't say like or dislike this video any more. It's either heart or no heart ;)
Also clicking a link to a video(annotation) doesn't work on vessel, so please stop using that.

How do we know when you upload a new video to Vessel.  With youtube i would get a email.  Do you know if vessel has the feature as well?

In Vessel I already have encountered a bug:  I couldn't use the space bar when typing a comment. 

Also, suggest a SEARCH BUTTON instead of a useless tile system.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

How do we know when you upload a new video to Vessel.  With youtube i would get a email.  Do you know if vessel has the feature as well?

Try looking that up in their kb (link to which you have receive when you signed up), or just asking them.

It's there

fAQIO9km.jpg

On a side note, this video doesn't have any link to this topic in it, and so on. I'm guessing they all have "mostly" general descriptions just for now, and in future they will have links to proper threads and such, right?

Hmm... After a bit of research... It seems my "free one year premium" didn't register properly. After a refresh I can see them on the featured page, but when I try to watch them it points me towards the billing window. :( I've contacted support, hopefully they'll fix it.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

So I've been trying out Vessel since the giveaway was announced and it seems pretty decent. However, after watching a few too many LTT videos, I noticed that the video playback wasn't as crisp as usual.

I forced on the "HD" option, but the colors seemed a little washed out. I compared with Vessel on "HD" and YouTube on 720p (see attached image).

Also, I noticed I couldn't find an option for a specific resolution or bump to 60fps like on YouTube (I THOUGHT), so I went back to YouTube and I couldn't find any [recent] video with available 60fps playback... Maybe I was mistaken and there weren't any 60fps videos on the LTT channel and it was only on Channel Super Fun? Or did they disable 60fps for the channel on YouTube?

Will Vessel be adding specific resolution selection? The available options remind me of facebook and cnet *shudders*.

CuDXY38.png

I am glad you found a way to possibly increase your revenue streams from your videos and not being at the whims of Youtube.  

I watch most of your videos and would love to support you on vessel if that is a better way to help, but I currently watch most of my videos on my TV, and with no mobile app I can't fling to my TV (chromecast/nexus player) I doubt I will be using the service very often.  

When I do watch at my computer the video quality on vessel is not up to par with your other videos, not sure this is something they are working on.

The buffering and load times for the videos are a little frustrating as well.

I would happily help by supporting your move to a more profitable service but the service seems to lack many of the basic features many of the others support and I probably won't be using it very often.

I've been ghost watching for the better part of a year at this point without really supporting you guys financially and with limited interaction even on YouTube. I think it's time for me to hold up my end of the bargain be a better viewer, and I made an account to support the cause. 

1) I'd gladly pay 3 dollars a month for JUST LINUS TECH TIPS, even if Vessel offered me nothing else. That said, the platform is in it's infancy and needs time to grow. All of the gripes about video quality, platform availability, and user interface are warranted. It reminds me of YouTube when I was a younger man, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing but it does mean that they have some growing to do if they're going to be a competitive online platform. Hopefully the shot of adrenaline they just got from the "big name" youtube stars and from the sign up incentive will help. The ads are streamlined and unobtrusive which already pleases me enough to switch and see what happens. 

2) Linus Media Group is a pretty sizable organization by YouTube standards. With 6 employees, who I assume make an honest living, you have a lot of overhead just in wages. Add things like property, supplies, electricity, and other basic business needs into the mix and you quickly realize that thousands of dollars per month are invested before a camera is even turned on. The notion that they would be on YouTube exclusively forever was never sound and the decision to diversify was necessary to secure the future of LMG and it's employees. 

3) Vessel works really well for me, but I consume media on primarily Apple products so applications and support are a non issue. Boo me off the stage if you must. The only real gripe I have is video quality and believe me it isn't pretty.

4) If Vessel makes LMG more money I'm certain the content will change for the better. Every extra dollar LMG has at their disposal can be allocated into new interesting projects. If you have to pay 3 dollars a month, you'd be paying 10 cents per video for daily uploads which is far from unreasonable. 

Keep up the good work gentlemen. Hopefully Vessel will grow with you and become what content creators need it to be. 

why am i seeing ad's in what is a paid platform?

also the quality of the videos is definitely not as good as youtube

0 quality settings other then auto hd and on so people with bandwidth caps are screwed even if they wanted to pay

thae usual spacebar to pause for most video players is not there 

Aselwyn1

It's great to see LMG testing other video platforms, but I hope Vessel can improve their video quality. As many have said before it is sub-par compared to youtube and is lacking 1440p/ 4k. 

Signed up, loving it thus far. I'll only use it to view your videos, but that alone is worth the $3 a month to me. I completely understand the need for a secondary video delivery platform as YouTube has become way more hostile towards content creators as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if other prominent YouTubers don't also use Vessel as a secondary video delivery platform.

Nick, are TechQuickie and ChannelSuperFun getting its own channels or will they being uploaded to the LTT channel on Vessel?

1. Can't comment on the financials of the deal. But yes, their qualities do need an update

2. We would have to provide a lot to incentivize more people to sign up for the annual contributor program. We would probably have to put a lot more work into that than just clicking upload and copy/pasting some text into a description. We evaluated our options, and this seemed like a good one to us.

Why would you have to incentivize them?  Like I said, the annual contributor program would be an option.  People could contribute a lump sum or a monthly amount as well (no forum membership required).  This money would go directly to Linus Media Group — not Vessel, not YouTube, not Google.  Personally, I don't see how a deal with this company which has no name recognition among the public would somehow be more beneficial to LMG than a direct line to pocketbooks of your audience.  Many people have already stated that they have no interest in staying with the service once the trial is over. 

At this venture, it makes more sense as a viewer to use YouTube due to its broad platform reach.  While I personally don't think waiting a couple days would necessarily make a huge difference, I can understand some of the arguments here.  If a person is already contributing to LMG, they are essentially going to have to wait to see the content on their platform of choice – YouTube.

To put it simply, the majority of people on here seem to be interested in only one thing.  They do not wish to help Vessel (yet another company).  The community would rather aid the success of the content creators they love directly. This would enable you guys to centralize the content to a known platform.  It seems like you guys are under the impression that you need an additional service to succeed.  You don't.  People who truly enjoy your content use YouTube just as a means of accessing it.  They care about the content; the platform is secondary.  Google needs content creators more than content creators need Google.

Edited by Michael McAllister

My PC specifications are in my profile.

My Internet isn't fast enough to stream Vessel's lowest quality videos whereas Netflix and YouTube manage fine. The data usage is also immense and I use a capped internet connection. I can't use Vessel until they change their video playback. It's an unfortunate waste.

So, this Vessel thing...

So, I was extremely intrigued when I checked my sub box today to see the biggest giveaway every, and some really sexy large case in the video thumbnail. Now, at first I didn't fully process the fact of having to sign up and blah blah blah, I just thought it would be a simple sign up for the site... but, nothing is ever that easy, is it?

Basically to enter this giveaway you have to sign up with Vessel, you have to give them the following:

• Email (Though that's a given)
  • First Name
  • Last Name

Now, this is not something everyone is in to, and I don't exactly want to have to sign up for a whole new service, and give all that information just for a CHANCE at a giveaway.

I know that it is important that the Linus Tech Group makes money, as there are employees to pay, bills to pay, mouths to feed, but. There are many followers of the Linus Tech Tips YouTube channel, myself being one and I have been one for a long time now, and then having this whole new issue with YouTube changing the policy and having YouTubers being paid less for their ad revenue, makes it hard on many YouTuber's whom rely solely on YouTube as their means of income, and it is how they pay their bills, or how they pay their crew (If they have one, like LMG, and popular YouTube channels)

With that said: Not everyone is willing to have to go and sign up for a new service, just to get videos early, but hosting a giveaway solely based on a new service where the content creators on the site are able to make more money via ad revenue, product placement (Paid time slots within an episode, Yes that's not the proper word for it, but who cares), it is annoying to those vieweres whom: A) Don't want to sign up and give all the 'required' information to this new site. B) Are not allowed (In such a situation as they are younger and have to ask their parents first, lol) Or C) Just cannot care, and are patient enough to wait for videos

I think it isn't fair the a certain sect of the LMG fan base that do not want to sign up for a new service, to not be allowed to participate in the giveaway.

So here is also a question to Linus, and other LMG members/employees:

Is there some way we would be allowed to get atleast a single entry into the giveaway without signing up?

I would be happy to share the referral link to friends, and family, because there may be some of them that wish to use the service like Vessel, and I would share it maybe via Google+, because that's the only real social media that I "use" (Not really) Or reddit, or Imgur.

I know there will be a lot of people willing to sign up and help support LMG, while others may not want to, and are then excluded from a giveaway because they do not wish to join the new service.

I have been a long time supporter of LMG or, the Linus Tech Tips YouTube channel, and then my dis-interest in signing up for this new "great" service voids any and all chances that I have in enterering an amazing giveaway, kind of feels like a rip off. There is no other way for me to enter this giveaway, like maybe, buying a shirt, or changing my amazon link, or supporting the move to the new office, etc. WHY NOT? Is my big question.

Yes I may be stubborn in not wanting to sign up for this service, yes I may be silly for not wanting to either,  (Silly or stupid, whatever you want it to be) But straight up, I do NOT want to sign up for this new service, just to enter a giveaway, when I have, and would much prefer to support LMG in other ways, for instance by buying a shirt. But that means no entry for me.

Also a side note, I tried clicking on the bit ly link in the message I recieved on the forums that is supposed to take me to the giveaway thread, and it gave me an error on the forums, I had to look under the top post that was above the list of posts in the General section, where I was originally making this as a thread but I then realized it was preferred to be posted in the FAQ about the vessel giveaway, so it has been copied from the thread creation textbox and moved here, and will only be posted within this thread as a reply.

And Finally I know this will probably be on hell of a waste of time from me, but it's just me, and it's my thought on this. I want to thank you for reading, and I also would like you to have a great day.

@nicklmg @LinusTech

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

hey guys, At first I wasn't going do join vessel, but this thread and the activity convinced me to not only join this forum but also vessel. But as always with new stuff, I will post my issues thus far. 

Joining was easy but trying to use Vessel on Chrome is Insane. I cannot watch or even see what videos are there. And I know I have the latest updates. anyone have any clues what to do.

My Vessel username: Maroonlynx

1st video with like/comment: https://www.vessel.com/videos/JYZEYDYx0

2nd video with like/comment: https://www.vessel.com/videos/G-DUjgUyY

This is the feedback and FAQ, not the place to post your videos, I do believe...

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

Can I still use vessel even if my subcription expires? Can I still watch videos from it?

the first thing i noticed when coming over to vessel from youtube is that if i close a page mid playback then re-open and start watching the same video vessel does not keep my place in the video.

That's weird, are you sure there wasn't a skip button?

There was not. This is a trend with a lot of social sites recently. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Hello Linus group

Just want to say that, as a medium for viewing and browsing videos, I really like vessel. It may not have as much content as Youtube does but it is a much more aesthetically pleasing and enjoyable "place to be" on the internet. Looking forward to what happens with them and you over time.

Thanks for all the great videos!

Blakslee

I used the referral link and signed up for a free year, yet I have to pay $3/month for early access. Is this not included in the free year or did I mess up registering?

I used the referral link and signed up for a free year, yet I have to pay $3/month for early access. Is this not included in the free year or did I mess up registering?

I'm not sure, this happened to me as well... I was just starting to prowl this thread for some answers. Will Vessel have a yearly fee AND a monthly fee per channel or something...? I'm not sure if this "free year" is quite working as advertised...

I'm not sure, this happened to me as well... I was just starting to prowl this thread for some answers. Will Vessel have a yearly fee AND a monthly fee per channel or something...? I'm not sure if this "free year" is quite working as advertised...

Hmm. Hopefully this is a simple issue that can be resolved, I like the UI of vessel aside from the actual video quality which has been thoroughly discussed but I really hope this free year is a true free year.