New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

Are "instant" email notifications for new videos available on Vessel?

If not do you plan on putting something in place yourself?  Even if it's something we can subscribe to until Vessel gets the functionality.

Thanks in advance, my other questions all were answered in previous posts  :)

How does one launch a video platform that doesn't work on mobile?
That's how I watch 90% of my LTT content, sure there's the request

desktop mode, but its unoptimized and videos don't load most of the time,
nor can I comment on videos, which makes it hard for the contest,
I have to instead go on splashtop, remote into the PC, and use my PC's browser

instead, which i mean is a solution, but am really hoping for mobile support in

a very timely manner.

TL;DR: No mobile support makes my LTT content while in the bath difficult to consume.

Yeah I see it. But nothing as drastic as what @sandman65 is quoting. My guess is that Vessel considers both 720p and 1080p as HD (which they technically are). So based on your connection, they select either one.

I actually looked at their website and the video sources with some web inspection tools and it looks like vessel's highest quality is 720p 2400kbps bitrate. No 1080p or higher.

Youtube's highest possible 720p encoding is at 5000kbps which explains the extra fizziness and loss of color saturation on vessel.

They probably do it to save bandwidth because serving videos is very bandwidth demanding but unfortunately I can't see them competing with youtube on image quality.

Also their sound is noticeably worse than youtube and as someone that cares for sound I can't stand their quality.

Too bad that all the work that the people at linus media group put in shooting, editing and color correcting in 4k is going lost for 7 days until it hits youtube.

So far vessel looks good only for vlogs shot on phones.

Saw your edit. Valid point. Everyone here is complaining about the "quality" aka the resolution. You're the first to make that point.

The resolution usually isn't hugely important to me unless its showing me how to install a water block(working on something small and detailed)  or shows compression artifacts while moving. Put poor color is a huge problem for me. Especially when your looking at new products. They put a lot of time into their B-Roll I would like to be able to see it clearly.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Good move... hope it brings the success we all want (but kinda hope not too much at first - hope you don't loose your rig)

Apple, Piss Off! ~ Linus 2014

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

So let's say, hypothetically, youtube straightens up and becomes a competative platform for you guys again, will vessel become a secondary platform?

I`m also getting only 720p with HD turned on, which is ridiculous.

Also one can make a remark about my speed test (within 50 miles of my location) because I`m deep in Europe and probably the main Vessel servers are in USA.

So I did another speed test far, far away - 6700 miles and this is what I get 4238556852.png

I think that ~30Mb/s should still be enough for 1080p streaming, don`t you think? :)

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

Hey guys.  Let me say first thing that I am 100% for you guys diversifying your options and going after all the revenue streams you can.  There is little to no pain for viewers with this move, and I am totally cool with it.  

Just wanted to call something out though.  I am a passionate viewer (everyday watcher hype!) and I tend to share content with my less-passionate friends and family, who don't even have a youtube account, but enjoy your videos when I send them.  I like to do this as I watch the video, so I can react and discuss with friends and family in real time.  

These friends and family members would not take the time or pay the fee to watch videos on Vessel, so I would be unable to share videos and enjoy them simultaneously with friends and family. Additionally, I would not likely remember to forward the link a week later when it goes live on your Youtube channel.

This may result in you guys losing some views from folks who have your content shared with them by more passionate viewers who will be "keeping up" with the new content on Vessel.  Your social media sharing impressions (This video is awesome!  I'm going to tweet it and post it on Facebook!) may also decrease as a result. I'm not sure of the volume of stuff like this happening, but I hope it's something you guys consider moving forward.

TL;DR: You may lose more casual views from folks who get sent to your newest content on Vessel via "word of mouth" and direct social media sharing from your more hardcore viewers since the casual viewers won't be willing to pay to see it early on Vessel.  Hardcore viewers will probably not go back a week later and post a link the Youtube version.

Thanks for pushing out the completely INSANE amount of quality content that you guys do.  I wish you guys all the best and I will definitely be checking out Vessel to see if it's right for me.

The main reason is that Youtube is now limiting the ads the content creators can themselves put in their videos. Since ads placed directly in the video have become a major source of revenue for many youtubers (LTT alike) it's threatening their livelyhood.

Just to clarify, I don't need a credit card after the 1 year is up to keep watching their videos?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

I`m also getting only 720p with HD turned on, which is ridiqulus.

Also one can make a remark about my speed test (within 50 miles of my location) because I`m deep in Europe and probably the main Vessel servers are in USA.

So I did another speed test far, far away - 6700 miles and this is what I get 4238556852.png

I think that ~30Mb/s should still be enough for 1080p streaming, don`t you think? :)

Oh yeah for sure. My internet speed sucks (Canadian life..). I'm just here to provide another POV. I may have come off as "OP you are obviously wrong". That's my bad. There's just a lot of backlash right now on Vessel and I think this post is an unjustly one against Vessel. If I'm getting a 1080p stream on my shitty 12mb/s download speed, then something else is at work here.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Just to preface this, I'm a video production professional. That being said, I know many people won't really notice or care about this, lol, but the compression method Vessel is using for it's different video renditions seems to be killing the contrast from your lovely fs7 camera. Here's a side by side of what I'm talking about...

http://imgbox.com/Srp18uBi

Ugggggly stuff.

Why can't I easily open videos in a new tab by clicking on them with the mouse wheel?

Why would YouTube creators want to go to the hassle of maintaining videos on another, less popular website? Revenue. To start, Vessel is offering creators $7 for every fan converted to a Vessel subscriber.

Jesus...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/vessel-opens-to-public/#skip-video

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

First of all english is not my first language so bear with me.

I think pretty much everything has been said already. Vessel seems inferior in almost every way compared to youtube but I understand that it is a relatively new platform and it will Improve over time.

What I actually came here for to say is the following.
Every day, I come home from work, eat and then watch one of your videos to start my evening entertainment.
Until now I neither had a forum nor had I an Youtube account. I never bought one of your T-shirts or anything else the like. (From your Support Us page)
Then today I saw that video and thought. "Yeah that sounds reasonable. This guy runs a F*in business and not a welfare. He is just adding another method for fans to support him."
And then I saw the dislikes and toxic commentary on Youtube. Disgusting.

All these people who think they are entitled to your content, which is and will stay to be free to consume, for everyone. As you already said "nothing will change if you just ignore Vessel; 1 Video a day". Too much advertisement in your Videos? I usually watch the ads the first time you use them and then just skip them in the following videos. There are often many complains similar to that.

I just can't get my head around to why one could be perturbed by these things. None of these people has the slightest Idea what it is like to run a business and feeding a family and several employees with it. And then they bring up that you might make enough money to not only feed your children so they don't starve but enough to actually enjoy some of your scarce free time. Well I guess that literally makes you Hitler right?

I wish everyone would stop criticizing you for the way you monetize your content (as long as it stays as unintrusive as it is right now and I think will stay for the future) and concentrate to critique the content itself, what they like and what they dont, to try to help you to actually improve the videos I and so many others enjoy so much.

By the way. I just signed up for this forum (duh!) Vessel and Youtube, Subscribed your Channel on both of them and maybe I will support you with buying something in the Future. Keep up the good work. I love you guys! (Not just Linus ;-))

Stuff I don't like:

It's new so it lacks the support that YouTube already has. (Browser plugins)

I cannot link to a comment like I can on YouTube.

I didn't see a subscription list where you see all the newest videos from ALL of your subscriptions like on YouTube.

I just registered with Vessel, my username is Burki.

Favorite video (as of now): https://www.vessel.com/videos/G-DUjgUyY

Feedback on Vessel:

Being accustomed to youtube I don't like it that much, but I'll get used to it.

Video quality just feels less good than on youtube, I didn't really notice buffering though (I have around 40mbps of bandwidth). Are they using a less efficient encoding algorithm?

Does this mean content wil go up later then usual on youtube

I like the idea of vessel and the opportunity to support you better, so you can make greater content.
But there need to be at least a 1080p video option. I can't read what you are trying to show me:

MufhL4A.jpg

Even on Youtube the bitrate was to low for your drone videos, they were very blocky, but this is even worse and the only real problem I have with vessel.

The Interface isn't perfect (for example links in the video description aren't clickable), but the videos are loading fast and thats the important part.

I hope Vessel will improve their service, so that it isn't only the earlier version but also the better compared to youtube.

The 4K res is an important feature for them to get

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

I would have to say I agree with most comments made, I absolutely LOVE the website layout of Vessel, BUT, The video quality does look absolutely horrible compared to watching in high-res on YouTube.  I saw where Nick mentioned that he or someone at LMG already spoke with them about this.  I would have to say that with LMG having 1.5mil subscribers (thereabouts) on YouTube and bringing all the fans to Vessel, They should get to work on LMG's concerns with said issues immediately.  Shortcut keys (Left and Right to advance or skip back, space to pause/un-pause) and Video quality are my gripes.  As always, LMG continues to kick ass and take names.