New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

Using Firefox and got an issue with Vessel, it seems my mouse curser never fades like it does on Youtube. It is annoying since I have to move it off to the side to hide it the best I can.

Congrats with the new platform! I appreciate that you are exploring multiple ways to keep LMG viable.

I hope they make an Android and a Windows 8 Modern app, as I don't use iOS. I know that the platform will continue to improve over time.

I have a couple of issues with the platform that may be resolvable:

1. Vessel runs a lot slower for me, and I'm not sure if it's my ISP. I can watch 1080p videos using Youtube just fine, but Vessel won't play smoothly on many videos (it keeps on stopping to buffer) even if HD is set to auto. 

2. Is there a full screen option? The windowed videos in a browser look tiny on some of my devices. 

:unsure:  Not sure how I feel. I love the first year. I watch your channel more than I watch tv. After the first year, I will decide if YouTube or Vessel is the way to go. I like the layout better on vessel and so far the mobile app is WAY better then YT. Keep up the good work either way.

I would love to see Intel help with the rendering network. I'm only 15 years old, and I love this channel, I also watch other channels like NCIX. I would love to work with stuff like this but unfortunately I never have the money :(, so I enjoy watching you guys do stuff like this :).  Earlier last year my Grandfather came down with a stroke from a blood clot in his neck, I gave all the money I've been saving to help pay for his surgery and now have to start from the beginning.  I've watched almost all the videos on this channel and hope to see future awesome videos, I've always been in to computer since I was 7 years old and have always had a passion for them. 

-Dylan Dorsey (Soulcrusher70)

Signed up for my free year and will certainly make use of it for LMG videos and potentially others if other interesting stuff ends up on the platform. No complaints here given Youtube's endeavour to screw the people who bring viewers to their platform. 

I likely will not renew once my free year is up and will simply wait a few days for the stuff (other than the stuff Linus specifically said will be released at the same time) to end up on Youtube. Anything time sensitive will be on Youtube at the same time anyway. Otherwise what is the rush to see LMG videos as soon as they are uploaded to the internet? If you need your fix that badly then pick up a pair of binoculars, move to Vancouver, and stalk Linus the old fashioned way. 

So I joined Vessel on the 1 year free trial and so far... I REALLY like it. It's like choosing internet channels (as opposed to TV channels) and you get the content that you want in a much nicer form. The layout of the website seems extremely nice.

However is the video quality of Vessel the same? To me it seems almost like a bit faded. Or maybe my monitor is dirty :3

What have you guys noticed.

Also, when my year expires I'll definitely purchasing a Vessel sub.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

I thought I'd also add my thoughts on Vessel. It seems to work great when I'm following just LinusTechTips but when I add multiple people that I regularly follow on Youtube, my news feed becomes massively cluttered. I like that they're trying to go for the smooth touch UI feel, but it really doesn't contribute to a good user experience past the WOW factor.

My other gripe comes from not being able to middle click to open new tabs for all the videos I want to watch (I know I can right click-> open in new tab). I generally gather a bunch of videos in tabs, grab some food, and munch away while enjoying my entertainment. If they allowed an easy way for me to queue some videos, no problem, but they don't.

Not everyone likes the dark theme, I myself prefer a nice white theme.

Can I get some video quality options? There's something really really off about how the videos look on Vessel compared to Youtube.

Videos seem to buffer perfectly fine at the moment.

I know most of these are just suggestions for Vessel itself but I hoped you might have some insider track to maybe pass along suggestions.

The HD function is set to 'auto' but when I set it to 'on' I just get a black screen. The 'auto' quality seems to be somewhere between 480p and 720p

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Vessel Username: Davidyun

Email Address: David_ld_Yun2@hotmailcompany52.com

2 Favourite videos from Vessel that i also commented on:

https://www.vessel.com/videos/LCoY5zfFf 

Insane Storage Server - Fully 10 Gigabit Network, $1,500 Switch
By Linus Tech Tips

-https://www.vessel.com/videos/XBp5SAthu

KFC Unveils New Edible Coffee Cups ft. David So & Gina Darling
By JustKiddingNews

I like Linus and will always subscribe to his channel and remain a part of this community but i don't think i would be willing to pay money every month to view his videos somewhere else a bit earlier. I don't blame Linus for the shift, i think he has to evolve but i do blame YouTube for being greedy and pushing people to seek alternative hosting services. 

The video quality of Vessel seems lacking, but then again, it just launched.

*3000th post :D

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Guys Happy to support you but Vessel is proving to be useless for me. Can't watch any streams buffers 50% of the video and just stops... Youtube still works fine at 1080p. 

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

So I joined Vessel on the 1 year free trial and so far... I REALLY like it. It's like choosing internet channels (as opposed to TV channels) and you get the content that you want in a much nicer form. The layout of the website seems extremely nice.

However is the video quality of Vessel the same? To me it seems almost like a bit faded. Or maybe my monitor is dirty :3

What have you guys noticed.

Also, when my year expires I'll definitely purchasing a Vessel sub.

I think it's fine, it seems to be lower resolution but it compensates for having what seems like a much higher bitrate for the videos. I noticed no pixelation when movement starts happening as opposed to youtubes horrible pixelation. 

The video quality of Vessel seems lacking, but then again, it just launched.

*3000th post :D

Who really cares, it's a clearly better service overall and unless you are on 4k full screening videos the quality is certainly high enough for me at 2560x1080 without fullscreening. Bit rate seems to blow away youtube's which helps.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I would like to ad I find it crazy people enjoy edzel's weird awkard slow talk with no humor over linus at any point in time ever. That bar should have no votes. It's even worse with terran lol. Linus ftw.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Vessel Username: Davidyun

Email Address: David_ld_Yun2@hotmailcompany52.com

2 Favourite videos from Vessel that i also commented on:

https://www.vessel.com/videos/LCoY5zfFf 

Insane Storage Server - Fully 10 Gigabit Network, $1,500 Switch
By Linus Tech Tips

-https://www.vessel.com/videos/XBp5SAthu

KFC Unveils New Edible Coffee Cups ft. David So & Gina Darling
By JustKiddingNews

Hey, just letting you know you posted in the wrong thread.  you should reply to http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334107-platform-launch-and-massive-giveaway/

Hmm... After a bit of research... It seems my "free one year premium" didn't register properly. After a refresh I can see them on the featured page, but when I try to watch them it points me towards the billing window. :( I've contacted support, hopefully they'll fix it.

I had this problem too.  log out and log back in.  I think the cookie that they store on your end that shows you as a non-premium member needs to be refreshed. 

I just registered with vessel, and it definitely asks for a credit card number when I want to watch any of the early access videos. Maybe I misunderstood something about the whole 1 year free thing? After a year, I have to pay to access any videos on this site? That seems stupid as they will be available on youtube.

after you get the confirmation email about the one year free, log out and log back in.  then it should register. 

Vessel account Username: Pancakesplatter

Watched and commented on videos:

1. https://www.vessel.com/videos/JYZEYDYx0

2. https://www.vessel.com/videos/LCoY5zfFf

I wish vessel's commenting system was more similar to Youtube so that comments wouldnt be buried away as quickly... But I like the clean material look, its just a little low res atm...

Vessel's video quality is certainly lacking however if it helps linus then i'm willing to use it, plus getting videos a week earlier is great.

Corsair Vengeance C70 | ASRock Z77 Extreme9 | i7-3770K @ 4.4Ghz | 1x GTX Titan (Yes, the OG one) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz
2x Intel 530 SSD | 2x WD Black 2TB HDD | 1x Corsair H100i (CPU) | 1x Corsair H60 (GPU) | 2x LG 1080p 24inch IPS | 1x ASUS 1080p 27inch IPS
Until a "4K 120Hz OLED HDR GSYNC 30inch (minimum)" Monitor shows up for less than 2 grand I ain't upgrading shit! >:( - Me, 2016.

You can still watch vessel videos (only a bit later though) even after the free sub expires right?

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

I've found some interesting content on Vessel that was new to me (mostly things that usually get grouped into huge network channels). It works for me, even if its a bit clunky at times. If it helps content creators get their fair share then I'm all for it.

However, another Youtuber made a comment that jumping to Vessel resembled a "knee jerk cash grab". How long has this plan been in the works?

littleRed

CPU Intel i7 4790k Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero RAM 32GB G Skill RipjawsX GPU EVGA Titan X Cooling Corsair H105 Case Corsair 760t Black PSU EVGA 1000P2

Storage Boot Samsung Evo 850 256GB Programs Samsung Evo 840 1TB Data WD Black 2TB Display BenQ XL2420G Keyboard Corsair K70 Mouse Razer Death Adder OS Windows 10

So I'm from Australia, and as you may or may not know that internet here is pretty slow. For me watching Linustechtips on Youtube will run continuously 92% of the time, although Vessel doesn't, and it completely sucks. Also youtube have quality (HD+ and SD) which if it was running slow I could just crank it down, whilst Vessel only have HD 'auto' or 'on' and doesn't change anything for me...I was defiantly going to do a transition because you guys are favourites....Kinda sucks, ill keep trying to use Vessel but if the video loads times aren't quick enough to keep up with playback, then I guess I'll have to wait for the delayed content... :(