Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Well I came here only seeing "What is the biggest mistake you have ever bought or done" and I was going to say my ex, but since it says my computer I need to change that...

I would have to say I regret buying my old Alienware x51. Waste of money and was crap... I now built mine and don't regret doing anything, except overclocking my 3770K to 4.8Ghz but that's about it.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

Probably leaving my PC on for a month while abroad, came back to what was practically a dust filter :/

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

I accidentally dropped cola into those air vents on my case and well my motherboard wasn't liken the fizzy cola taste

I accidentally dropped cola into those air vents on my case and well my motherboard wasn't liken the fizzy cola taste

Did it survive?

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

on my first pc i built i forgot to put spacers between the case and the mobo... lets just say im a very lucky guy and realised my mistake after the pc sparked and wouldnt turn back on so took the whole system out of the case then realised my insanly stupid mistake thank god the mobo and psu survived

I somehow ran a computer like that for nearly a year.

Getting a H80i for a 5400k, never hits 30c  :D

Aim high, hit low. - Oliver Guy (Me)

If you can't make it good, at least make it look good. - Bill Gates

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

Stock cooler on FX-8350, I had it for like 8 months or so...

Not buying a Coolermaster Haf X when i had the money. I live in a 3rd world country, now Haf X is 4x price it was back then. 

I feel your pain, bro... Looks like I am not upgrading my graphics card any time soon :' (

And failing to act, for fear of the risk, is no different than a living death. No matter what world you’re in.

What do u think

I'm guessing from that response, it shorted, but sometimes the mobo survives.

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

Yea ur close but not exact .

The mobo short circuited and had to be replaced as it was still under warranty and surprisingly it got replaced

• 3 weeks later...

My first case I bought --- was mATX (not my current build, my first build). I also bought a H100i which leaked, but at least it meant corsair replaced all my parts :). I'm very happy with my current setup though.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Not getting a case with enough cable routing holes/ cable management features. I have to run my 8-pin CPU connector from the bottom of the case. To keep it from hanging freely, it is going underneath my graphics card, and above the motherboard. It is fine, I just don't like how it looks. Not clean at all.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Got the wrong RAM voltage.... didn't directly break anything, but not getting the full value out of it.  

I don't always use Vessel.... but when I do, it's because of Scrapyard Wars.

what mistake did you make when buying or upgrading a pc?

mine would be getting an amd cpu

buying it too early when i couldve waited a 3-4 months for prices to go down and get more fps

I made the mistake of going for a cheap case at first - and then the mistake of going with an FX-6100 a couple years ago. The motherboard I bought was certified to work with the RAM I bought, but it didn't. So I had 16GB ram lying around for 2 years.

Sig under construction.

My first case I bought --- was mATX (not my current build, my first build). I also bought a H100i which leaked, but at least it meant corsair replaced all my parts :). I'm very happy with my current setup though.

They replaced the parts in your pc? Or your cooler?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I made the mistake of getting a 300r, replaced it a month ago with a h440, no regrets 

Fuck you, I like my 300r.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

They replaced the parts in your pc? Or your cooler?

H100i pump failed and caused the coolant to leak all over my computer. Corsair asked me to ship the entire build to them (and paid for it, from Hong Kong to California) and then gave me a cheque for $700 and sent me an Ax760, 16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram & a Corsair H105 Cooler.

H100i pump failed and caused the coolant to leak all over my computer. Corsair asked me to ship the entire build to them (and paid for it, from Hong Kong to California) and then gave me a cheque for $700 and sent me an Ax760, 16GB Corsair Vengeance Ram & a Corsair H105 Cooler.

DAMN! That's nice. Fucking cool, actually. Did you have to bitch at them, or did they just offer?

Spoiler

Fuck you, I like my 300r.

Fuck you, i like watercooling

I would be worried about sending my data, lol

Suck a dick.

EDIT: Ok, that got out of hand, i'm sorry.

Spoiler

DAMN! That's nice. Fucking cool, actually. Did you have to bitch at them, or did they just offer?

They were completely cool, They took about 4 days and appologised offering the above offer, or purely money (if I wanted to buy non-corsair items), I took the Corsair stuff. I didn't have corsair stuff before that, but I will never abandon corsair now. 

I would be worried about sending my data, lol

I kept my data on me :P

They were completely cool, They took about 4 days and appologised offering the above offer, or purely money (if I wanted to buy non-corsair items), I took the Corsair stuff. I didn't have corsair stuff before that, but I will never abandon corsair now. 

I kept my data on me :P

Fucking noice.

Spoiler