Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I decided to build my current PC on the hottest day during the Summer in 2014. Last part arrived that day, so I had to build it there and then, right?

Basically stood there building it in a vest, trying not to sweat on the 212 Evo when I was trying to install it on CPU.

All worked out fine in the end though.

Minor mistake, buying an LED strip as I went with a windowed case. Not sure what I was thinking, no offence to anyone who likes that look but I personally think it looks a bit naff.

CPU: i5 4670K  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo  MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX  RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance  GPU: MSI R9 280 3GB

PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze  Case: Corsair 200R (with pair of 120MM Noctua Redux PWM fans)  SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

HDD: 1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100   Optical: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-ray writer

getting an NVIDIA gt 730 card with 1GB of GDDR5 memory so i can have an intel core i5-4790k. however I still have the 4790k but i got a new board, new ram, new gpu, and an ssd over the next 2.5 years

Not bought a modular power supply. Horrendous cable management

I've bought a Sentey Abaddom II case ($120 in my country), have no space for watercooling.

Sat on my 250D side panel and bent it slightly, means the filters hit the fans now :(

CPU: i7 4790K Cooler: Corsair H55i Mobo: ASUS Z97M-PLUS Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB Storage: Samsung SM951 128GB m.2 Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD GPU: Asus STRIX 970 GTX PSU: Seasonic 550w Gold Case: Corsair 350D

I forgot to do proper planning when I bought and installed a custom water loop for my X58 rig around 5 years ago. As such, I did not have a drain point. 

Honestly, that's one reason why I tend to shy away from custom loops and stick to air cooling or AIOs nowadays. 

I though my power supply was dusty, so when it was on ( The computer ) I took compressed air and shot air into it, the straw shot into the moving fan and broke it. The fan made noises and rumbled a lot. So I went to micro center to buy a 2 pin fan, they didn't have any 2 pin fans or a 4 pin to 2 pin adapters. So I bought a 4 pin and Jerry rigged it with the broken fan. Well since I had no clue how to solder, when I plugged it in the wiring smoked and then burned. After that I check out the power supply everything is good even the plug. So I did it again. Went to micro center and bought a 4 pin 120mm fan and a cpu fan that had a 2 pin for some odd reason. Then I solder it and it worked, still to this day ( Only happened last fall ).

Put too much thermal paste on the cpu (when I was upgrading), oozed out and fell into the pins on the motherboard. I tried removing the paste from where it spilled onto and ended up bedning a bunch of pins. Needless to say, motherboard was useless after that :| Had to use a backup, Gigabyte, that I hate soooooo much! onboard sound died within a few months...never again Gigabyte mobo's

i have a case with horibal air flow and when ever i play high intense games my computer over heats

So now i have to run it with no side pannel

and this is why iam slowling updating my pc

IAN :o

Mismatched sata cables on motherboards to drives.

Haha i done the exact same thing, but figured it out after a while. I was so freaked out at that moment!

Anyway, bought a new case that supports internal usb 3 front ports whereas my mobo didn't have a fitting that the usb 3 cable could fit in :(

Intel i7 4790 3.6GHzGigabyte GTX 970 4GB WF3  | Thermaltake Chaser A31 | Z97 Guard Pro

Gaming | Anime | Programming 

Built an $700 PC with a 750 SC and a Pentium g3220......... messed up from the beginning 

In the summer of 2014, i decided to buy a new gaming pc after about 6-7 years of not following anything related to computer hardware. Of course i can do it, or so i thought. Without too much research, i bought a system with A10-7850k on Gigabyte G1 Sniper A88x mobo with R9 270x as a dedicated gpu. I put everything in mATX case(270x was windforce edition so it barely fit). About a week later, i realised that my "gamin CPU" was actually an APU. Before i didn't even know it existed. I was sad and frustrated for a few months, until in december 2014, i couldn't take it anymore. I sold the APU, mobo and GPU to a friend for 300€. Then i had 650€ and didn't know what to do. I couldn't wait to get more money, so i bought g3258 witn Asrock Z97 Extreme3 and a GTX 970, and put everything in Corsair SPEC-01. In a month or two, i am planning to buy the 4690k, and that will hopefully be the end of my horror story :)

I bought a CPU that did not fit in my motherboard, then i tried to fit it in (not knowing that it was not compatible with my motherboard) and nearly bent my motherboard pins. Never going to make that mistake again! Ended up upgrading my CPU to an i5 so it all worked out in the end.

Buying Windows Vista.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

on my first pc i built i forgot to put spacers between the case and the mobo... lets just say im a very lucky guy and realised my mistake after the pc sparked and wouldnt turn back on so took the whole system out of the case then realised my insanly stupid mistake thank god the mobo and psu survived

I think this is why my PC wont turn on :( I really hope my PSU and motherboard are OK. No looking forward to having to replace a Asus X99 Deluxe.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Uh. So I got my first i5 CPU back in 2013 (before that my most powerful CPU was a Celeron G550 :P and I was like 15 so I treasured it) and I went to install it but a cable got stuck on the CPU fan and the fan wasn't turning. So I was using my PC for about 15 mins, testing out games until I realised it was running at about 102.C (215.F) and I almost completely killed my £120 CPU as soon as I put it in, I would've been proper pissed like!

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

Okay, this going to sound bonkers... but it happened.

I created a new password for my Windows 7 box, aka my gaming rig.  I have a longer, more complex password, but nothing outside of the realm of "great" strength.  I manually inputted the wrong password twice.  How did this happen?  I have no clue.  But I did it.  I had to have done it, this couldn't have been some weird Windows bug (cuz guys, if you search for "wrong password windows 7 bug" you get a bazzillion results that aren't relevant to my problem).  How the hell did this happen?  I had a years worth of tinkering done to that SSD with my OS on it, and I needed access to it quick snap.  Instead of trying to brute force it, I just wiped it.  Thankfully, all apps, Steam games, and Battle.net stuff is actually pretty good about re-syncing to the local files located on the HDD.

Ugh, just, wow.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.