China Will Require Real Name Registration for the Interwebs

Omon_Ra

True. but the problem comes when you say things about the government, and then you need to be anonymous because the government can spin anything to make you look like something else altogether (a dis-creditation attack)

Edit: Especially in a country where the government controls the media via blackmail and intimidation ("We'll raid you and take all your files" or "good luck ever getting into the white house press conference again")

It's China, they have no choice or say in the matter.

that's exactly what I mean.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

that's exactly what I mean.

Ahh, I see now.

Tis a sad day when we fear to speak the truth.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ahh, I see now.

Tis a sad day when we fear to speak the truth.

And sometimes it's a sad truth we fear to hear.  Food for thought in that one.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

To those thinking that real names get rid of ************************ and trolls, they still existed when google+ required it, and it will exist with this system. I noticed a more passive-aggressive manor about it, which in some ways is worse.

edit-

Misspelled google as 'goggle'.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Wow China...of all the things I expected from them, this was a bit of a surprise.

And American government thinking to follow:

"That's not a bad idea..."

I would like to believe we, the American people, would never stand for it.

I would grab a pitchfork, that's for sure.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Wow China...of all the things I expected from them, this was a bit of a surprise.

I would like to believe we, the American people, would never stand for it.

I would grab a pitchfork, that's for sure.

A lot of us might, but the majority (meaning older people, and young people who don't understand anything deeper than the kardashians) would sit around going "what's the big deal?"

We should have grabbed our pitchforks when we found out the government was spying on all of us for no reason, but we didn't, too busy watching bullshit on TV I guess.

The Chinese themselves chose the Communist government, you can't blame them. They chose to be oppressed.

I love this idea.  I would like it to be where everyone had to use their real name in all places on the internet.

it would make people obligated to hide their true opinion. and this is really bad cause if everyone think there is a problem with the system but can't say it freely in fear to be arrested well we directly go into some dark place of the sci-fi cinema and I don't want to go there 

The Chinese themselves chose the Communist government, you can't blame them. They chose to be oppressed.

How does one choose a style of government that doesn't hold elections?

I sigh up to every site with my real name anyway, but I can't think of any place bar Google where that's put on display, so I doubt it's that much of an issue. If the case is that you have to have your display name be your real name then it's a terrible idea. For example, on Reddit I post on the self-harm and suicide watch boards. I sure as shit don't want my real name on public display when posting there. It would be the same case of how I posted on LGBT forums before coming out.

Not to mention, I've said some pretty dumb things for the sake of pissing people off. I wouldn't want people thinking that those things reflect my actual beliefs. :P

All of the people saying this is a good thing because you hope it will

lead to less asshattery, you are all insane. This is bullshit and would 

ruin everything good about the internet. YOU should steer away from

terrible communities and seek proper ones, it's not like you have never

encountered a person acting like an asshole irl.

This is utterly crazy, and i refuse to believe that anyone thinking this is

good have thought about it for more than 3.5 seconds. The internet needs 

anonymity to continue standing for what it is, not just anonymity but

freedom, choice. It's already bad enough with isps and government

regulations.

How does one choose a style of government that doesn't hold elections?

I guess they're referring to the Mao-led revolution in which the Communist party took power? And they do kind of hold elections, though all the candidates are put forth by the Party. IMO, it seems as more of a formality than an actual election. (The same could be said about America's elections as well though). The protests a few months ago in Hong Kong were over China trying to control their elections.

I guess they're referring to the Mao-led revolution in which the Communist party took power? And they do kind of hold elections, though all the candidates are put forth by the Party. IMO, it seems as more of a formality than an actual election. (The same could be said about America's elections as well though). The protests a few months ago in Hong Kong were over China trying to control their elections.

Good point. It's also worth pointing out that while we have very limited options here in the US, we do have the legal right to write in any name we want. At this point I've started writing my own name in because I feel I could do a better job than all of the elected officials combined.

Good point. It's also worth pointing out that while we have very limited options here in the US, we do have the legal right to write in any name we want. At this point I've started writing my own name in because I feel I could do a better job than all of the elected officials combined.

Yeah, for being a 'beacon of democracy,' America's electoral system is pretty farked...

Some more clarification on the topic:

They won't have to display a real name, but they can't create a completely anonymous ID. It'll also be illegal to impersonate other people or organizations, and neither your avatar nor your nickname can include illegal content -- including something that "subverts state power" or promotes "rumormongering."

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/04/china-requires-real-names-for-accounts/

*There's more at the WSJ source link, but friggin paywalls/login requirements.

Yeah, for being a 'beacon of democracy,' America's electoral system is pretty farked...

Some more clarification on the topic:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/04/china-requires-real-names-for-accounts/

*There's more at the WSJ source link, but friggin paywalls/login requirements.

Yeah. I've been all for doing away with the electoral college for a long time now. Not to mention the entire party system, force both the republicans and democrats to disband completely. etc.

it would make people obligated to hide their true opinion. and this is really bad cause if everyone think there is a problem with the system but can't say it freely in fear to be arrested well we directly go into some dark place of the sci-fi cinema and I don't want to go there 

Ok now maybe what the Chinese would be doing this for is bad but the reason I liked it is everyone would be held accountable for what they say but I would still expect it to allow for freedom of speech to a certain point.  Also with what the Chinese are doing criminals on the net would have no place to hide.  That is a good thing.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Ok now maybe what the Chinese would be doing this for is bad but the reason I liked it is everyone would be held accountable for what they say but I would still expect it to allow for freedom of speech to a certain point.  Also with what the Chinese are doing criminals on the net would have no place to hide.  That is a good thing.

Why do you have to be held accountable for everything you say? And you act like every criminal will follow the rules... because that's what criminals do, right.  :rolleyes:

Why do you have to be held accountable for everything you say? And you act like every criminal will follow the rules... because that's what criminals do, right.  :rolleyes:

I never said they would follow the rules and if they didn't well then I guess they wouldn't be using the internet eh?  Internet policed to death is what the Chinese want and I have no problem with that idea done for the right reasons.  Transparency is good. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I have no issues going by my real name online.  Just like I have no issues about the Government being able to pull up my license plate and find my real name, or the phone company being able to pull up my name from my phone number.  

I don't know if it should be forced on anyone though.   And I think people who want to believe it will stop all forms of internet dickery are misleading themselves, you need only peruse facebook, twitter or google+ to see that people are happy to be assholes under their own identity.  

I wouldn't have an issue with this though.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I never said they would follow the rules and if they didn't well then I guess they wouldn't be using the internet eh?  Internet policed to death is what the Chinese want and I have no problem with that idea done for the right reasons.  Transparency is good. 

It won't be long until people figure out how to get around these measures, if they already haven't. And keep in mind, 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions.'

This isn't transparency though. There has been no word about who is going to be deciding what is 'subverting the state' or 'rumormongering' or what those even entail. Transparency, as I said before in this thread, would be for everyone to know everything. That won't happen. Ever.

Yeah. I've been all for doing away with the electoral college for a long time now. Not to mention the entire party system, force both the republicans and democrats to disband completely. etc.

You don't want too many political parties though because the negotiations can become tricky. After the 2010 elections here, it took more than 500 days to form a new government because the Flemish and Walloons voted for the completely opposite sides of the spectrum. The country nearly split. If you can create that kind of chaos with just 2 major groups of citizens, imagine what would happen with 50 states ...

This is bullshit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I think, for certain areas, this is a good idea. But it should be left up, largely, to the website itself. China takes it a bit too far, as is typical I guess.

Too far? Nah. I think they're just upfront with it. Whereas here in North America, people voluntarily give their information to companies like Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, etc.

You don't want too many political parties though because the negotiations can become tricky. After the 2010 elections here, it took more than 500 days to form a new government because the Flemish and Walloons voted for the completely opposite sides of the spectrum. The country nearly split. If you can create that kind of chaos with just 2 major groups of citizens, imagine what would happen with 50 states ...

Oh I'm talking about changing the entire paradigm. No parties, no aides, no nothing, just candidates working on their own. No business affiliations allowed once elected, etc.

Also, no salary or income above the national average, and no right to privacy. Unfair? yes, but necessary. Give them privacy and they make backroom deals to do whatever the hell they want, just like they are now. Also a fourth branch where any act of congress, short of a declaration of war, has to be approved by a greater than 65% vote by the entire population, or it doesn't and cannot become law. No more absolute authority for these scumbags