How to get past people who do not trust you know what you are doing.

sperkowsky

Ok so I am 15 years old and Ive built close to 30 computers of which 5 are my own. Ive built computers for myself, friends, family, and even my school yet everytime I get the "are you sure you know what your doing", "what if you break something", "Im spending 1000 dollars on this should I trust you"..... Im sure you guys know what Im talking about. The thing is it always turns out fine infact in the last 2 days ive built 2 computers for 2 different friends. Though, admitely these people do stress me out a bit and make me feel like I actually dont know what I am doing. So my question is how do I get past this is there anything in particular you guys say or do to make them feel better. I usually say dont worry and show them a picture of my pc, but im not to sure of that tactic. 

Whip out your pocket knife and ask them again if they trust you.

Note this is hit or miss, also sometimes works for courting. 

In all seriousness, if you actually know what you're doing and/or talking about you could just lie out the ass to make them feel better and stop molesting you with questions. 

With friends I can just tell them to shut up and hold my beer, but if it's not someone close, there's very little you can feasibly do if all we're working with are words. 

I get the same thing. But I usually respond with "Do you want Geek-Squad to fix this?!" and they shut up. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Create a portfolio; every time you finish a build, take a picture of it and write down the details of it. Show them the portfolio before you do the work.

December 29, 2014: i5 4690k, GTX 970, etc, etc 

<Client's Name>

<Picture>

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Tape em to a chair and proceed to do whatever it is they are questioning to show them you know what you are doing.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Wait another 5 years and then they should trust you :P.

Stupidity aside, people seem to have this idea that much younger people than themselves are incompetent and because of his they don't really trust that anyone younger than, say, 20 can build a fully functional and working PC. It's just the way it is unfortunately. -_-

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Create a portfolio; every time you finish a build, take a picture of it and write down the details of it. Show them the portfolio before you do the work.

<Client's Name>

<Picture>

not a bad idea thank you. 

I get that every time someone enters my shop (part time job) and says "ye my friend you sure you know what box of computing machine you building with my $1000?"

<Client's Name>

<Picture>

This ^ and you could even go as far as describing what each PC was built for (gaming, surfing, video editing, etc.). I should start doing this myself.

To help people stop saying that as some abobe said create a portfolo wito signatures and show it to everyone who says "you suse what your doing?"

Make sure you rub it in their facface while doing so

I applaud you good sir, I'm 14 and I'm in the same shoes you are in. I tell people I do it and fix computers for my dads company. They are just like "thats easy, you just press the troubleshoot button"   

Wouldn't mind building machines for people at school but they're all ignorant assholes who think their prebuilts with i7s and R7 240's are good.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

<Client's Name>

<Picture>

I do this and start talking about the specs and whatnot. I've never had anyone doubt me about my work, but it'snice to be able to show potential clients your craftsmanship.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Throw some super techy words at them and they'll shut up.

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

Honestly it's something that you'll have to grow out of. It's hard to be taken seriously when you're young, and especially if there's a substantial amount of money on the line.

You can always try to make yourself seem older than you really are, have a website, business cards, grow a beard, etc. If you present yourself as someone who takes this seriously, you'll more likely be taken seriously.

use big words they dont understand, gets them everytime

Throw some super techy words at them and they'll shut up.

Treating clients like they're idiots is a terrible idea.

Honestly it's something that you'll have to grow out of. It's hard to be taken seriously when you're young, and especially if there's a substantial amount of money on the line.

You can always try to make yourself seem older than you really are, have a website, business cards, grow a beard, etc. If you present yourself as someone who takes this seriously, you'll more likely be taken seriously.

what i said was mostly a joke. but partially true, depends on the person. If someone is doing a job for me, and they start getting technical and can back it up, ill trust them more. all depends on how you present it. its one thing to explain why your doing something a certain way and another to claim your way better at doing this then they would ever be.

I like to explain what im doing, they can follow along if they want and learn something, and if they just want it done, they will leave you alone until it is. 

Well, you're 15, people tend to think teens are just kids who think they can do anything but really can't do jack. A portfolio would be an idea indeed.

But don't forget, it only takes 1 DOA part for someone to think you're the one who broke it, no matter how much "experience" you have.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just pretend to not give a F$*@ and if they still ask and not serious tell them to buy a Mac or something prebuilt and to go away. I send them the Mac way because they know I don't work in them at all so they'll be on their own, if they do come ask me a Mac thing I just laugh as if what ever they're asking is a joke. End of issue.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Op do you have any certs? I'm going to assume you don't, and don't actually know what you're doing. 

When it comes to computers i usually just say "Well if a component doesn't work properly there are warranties that cover it. And in theory this build should do what you want it to do""

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I have a+ why? should I just show them my card

Yes. That's what that means is that you know what you're talking about. 

Jesus, more Oregon people, y'all coming out of the woodwork. I am fellow Oregonian.