Mineral Oil PC Kit Giveaway

Shame that it's too expensive to make and that I dislike anything smaller than ATX :c

I want to see the most awesome build logs from the people that win a kit!

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Oh man, I really want one. An aquarium pc is so awesome!!

I would like to get the mITX case. I learned a lot about mineral oil cooling, Im already planning to build an oil cooled machine, and Im already got the hardware which would go into.

Out of curiosity would OCTools mineral oil cooled PC from 2001 (or was it '99) not count as proof of prior art and invalidate the patent?

I wish there was protection from stupid lawsuits so that crap like this didnt happen.

I would like to build a mineral PC. But when I tried to buy a kit the price was just to high for me. If I do win I would a m atx kit.

[CPU] i7 4790K OC [CPU Cooler] H100i [GPU] Evga GTX 980 SuperClocked [Ram] Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1866 mhz [PSU] Cooler Master 1000w Silent Pro [storage] 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 1 TB WD Blue 4 TB Seagate Nas. [Motherboard] Msi Z97 Gaming 5 [Case] Phantom 410 Red [sound] Onboard ALC 1150 [Headphones] Sennheiser HD 558 [Keyboard] Razer BlackWidow Chroma  [Mouse] Razer Deathadder Chroma [Mouse] Razer FireFly [Monitor] Asus MG278Q

Enjoyed watching the videos, a machine like that would be a fun project.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

I was just wondering if SSD's and the new type of SSD's (like the Plextor M6E) would work in the mineral water???

I was just wondering if SSD's and the new type of SSD's (like the Plextor M6E) would work in the mineral water???

Yup SSDs aren't a problem, the traditional HDDs wont work just because they need to be able to equalise their pressure as they heat up and if oil got in through the vent would cause the disk rotation and head movement to slow down or move unpredictably.

This is an awesome thing. I wish I could afford to purchase that kind of mineral oil. don't consider this an entry.

This type of thing is just another example of why LTT is on its path to world domination.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That ridiculous that someone can say that's theirs because a successful  company wants to allow the public to buy them! Best of Luck to you Puget Systems and I hope things work out and mabey we can get Oil Pc Cases back on your market? Anyways Ill be more than happy to buy the oil for this case! Just tell me how many gallons I need, Probally 3? MATX Would be good but I am saving for my pc so I can change my board and stuff if only the Mini ITX Are available. 

I have been thinking of assembling a mineral oil rig for a while, and Puget seems to have one of the only proper kit for it! Building it in an aquarium would have got really messy, so Puget really got me going :)! It's sad about the conflict with the trolls though  :(. But I was thinking of assembling a mITX machine, so I'd be more than happy to get one!

logo_med.png

A few weeks ago we received some VERY sad news - due to a patent troll, our friends at Puget Systems have been forced to cease production and sales on their awesome series of mineral oil PC starter kits (you can read more about what happened here). This hits pretty close to home for our company, as Puget's mineral oil systems piqued Luke's interest a few years ago, which eventually led to him building his own mineral oil system.

First off, we would like to thank Puget Systems for providing this awesome service to the community. As they have mentioned quite a few times in the past, this was a passion project for them more than anything else, and we are sad to see it end this way.

But now that we have the sad news out of the way, there is a pretty sweet silver lining for the Linus Tech Tips community...

Since they cannot sell the kits that they currently have in stock, Puget Systems is GIVING AWAY four of their remaining mineral oil PC kits to four lucky members of this community. There are three Mini ITX kits and one MATX kit available.

Unfortunately, this giveaway is only open to residents of the Continental United States and Canada. We wish we could give everyone in the world the mineral oil PC hook-ups, but it isn't feasible to ship these kits internationally :(

How do I enter?

Leave a comment below to enter in the draw. One comment (entry) per user. I have a feeling that Puget will be checking this thread periodically, so feel free to leave some positive words for them - were you inspired by their awesome kits? Did they get you interested in mineral oil PCs? Are there any cool projects you would like to see them take on in the future?

Also, please mention (in your comment) which variation of kit you would prefer if you are chosen as one of the lucky winners. This will NOT have an impact on winner selection, but it will make it easier to assign a kit to each winner.

Entries close December 18 at 4pm PT, so be sure to leave you comment here before that time. The winner will be selected on December 19.

IMPORTANT NOTE

If you are lucky enough to win one of these kits, you MUST provide us with proof of purchase for mineral oil BEFORE the kit will be shipped to you. These are four of the last kits available from Puget, and they are only going to be given away to community members who are serious about building a mineral oil PC.

Thanks everyone, and good luck!

EDIT: I've seen some concerns in the thread about getting the mineral oil by December 19. There will be a grace period of one week for winners to provide us with proof of purchase. Just reply and let us know that you will be purchasing the oil when you can, and forward the proper paperwork when it is available.

I would love to win one because I have wanted to do one for a while, the only down side is if I win  I might not have the funds to buy the oil right away... :(

My PC Spec:

CPU: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, Motherboard: , Memory: 16gb , Storage: , Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB, Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM, Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC(x2), Case: Corsair C70 Green, Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G GOLD, Operating System: Windows 8.1, CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100, Optical Drive: LG Internal Super Multi Drive

Wellp just figuring I'd add a comment after first screwing the replies over, my apologies. I had just gotten interested in building a mineral oil build recently what a shame that something so terrible had to happen. I would prefer a MATX if selected however.

Really sorry to hear about what's going on with Puget.  But, my class's mineral oil tank is going downhill- fast.  It looks like a mess and could really use a better case.  The aquarium seems to be on it's last leg.  The motherboard is mounted with epoxy and it just looks like a mess.  We had to drain it and now we've got gallons upon gallons of oil doing nothing.  Just thought I'd share my mineral oil PC story.

I have always wanted to do a oil pc but could never afford a quality case that would look good like this one!

Count me in! I'll gladly buy the oil, its not to expensive under 200 with slow shipping for 8 gal.

Oh and the mATX would be awesome if I happen to win =D

These systems rock. It's very sad that these wont be available any more. I wouldn't mind either system if I win. It would just be awesome to have one to display.

That's really sad to hear about Puget being put into this position. They seem to be a great company comprised of actual enthusiasts. I've been toying with the idea of building a mineral oil PC since I first heard about them about 5 years ago. If I had a choice, I'd go for the mITX case, as I think a small tank PC would look really cool, not to mention being lighter to move around and not as much oil needed. Regardless of giveaway, Good Luck to you guys at Puget, and don't let the trolls bring you down!

i have M Atx board but this giveaway not gonna reach indonesia :'(

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Nothing worse than patent trolls....

But awesome of them to give away the remaining kits...

mITX or mATX would be equally good, no preference :)

Freaking patent trolls. If I win this, I fully intend on taking my current rig and dumping it in the oil.