[Rumor] AMD's Plans For Carrizo, Devastating if True

patrickjp93

Which will put Zen up against Cannonlake, 14nm against 10nm, AMD's HSA 1.0 with HBM against Intel's completed version (equal-citizen scheduling is inbound). At that point it's going to be hexacore Intel's on the Z-series platform with Gen 9/10 graphics and 96+ EUs. 

Isn't syklake all quad-cores and dual cores, and cannonlake is just a process shrink?

Which will put Zen up against Cannonlake, 14nm against 10nm, AMD's HSA 1.0 with HBM against Intel's completed version (equal-citizen scheduling is inbound). At that point it's going to be hexacore Intel's on the Z-series platform with Gen 9/10 graphics and 96+ EUs. 

Uh... So? It was going to be against Cannonlake mostly either way if it's launching in 2016.

Isn't syklake all quad-cores and dual cores, and cannonlake is just a process shrink?

Micro architecture only defines what is in each core. With a process shrink you can fit 2 more cores easily.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Uh... So? It was going to be against Cannonlake mostly either way if it's launching in 2016.

It would have been up against Cannonlake S. Now it's gonna be up against Cannonlake K, Skylake-E/EP/EX, and possibly even the mobile of the next generation. It's a clusterfuck for AMD if the delay is that long.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Id love to see AMD sell itself off to Qualcomm. They have big pockets and they want to break into the server market. This would be a match made in heaven

Qualcomm and AMD are not that far apart financially in the real world. It's only on paper that Qualcomm looks good. This is why they have a revolving door of investors. Samsung paired with AMD and Global Foundries would be a match made in Heaven to try to fight Intel.

Hey AMD, here's a plan that could actually work for you: Sell the entire processor division off to someone that has the money to sink into R&D like Samsung and focus on your true strength more: GPUs

that would be stupid because APUs are currently amd's biggest source of revenue. without APUs amd would probably go bankrupt 

Before any WCCF tech hate coming, I doubt AMD is that stupid. But, with how they were trying so hard for shoving cores onto FX, this maybe true as well. Rumor swings both ways as usual.

that was not a stupid idea, but they did not shovel enough money to R&D, whereas Intel has a bottomless wallet for R&D

They got back a big gun, Keller, so they are seriously wants to make a good architecture. it is just depends whether they can deliver it on time or not

2015 may be a slow year for AMD on the CPU side, but with their new GPUs being released, at least they will have that to help carry them along.

Their current Kaveri APUs are still fairly new and capable chips considering what they cost (saw the 7850K on sale today for $129). The FX series - though getting old, remind me of the previous well-known "Phenom" chips which are, even today, still capable gaming/general use CPUs. The FX chips will not die just yet as they still offer excellent value per dollar.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Guess its time to stop categorizing AMD as CPU company and just call it GPU manufacturer...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

AMD's Plans For Carrizo, Devastating if True

Are they? Are they devastating?

Or are you perhaps less qualified to decide on the best market strategy for AMD than the people AMD employs to do that?

Are they? Are they devastating?

Or are you perhaps less qualified to decide on the best market strategy for AMD than the people AMD employs to do that?

Need I remind you of the many bad decisions AMd has made which have landed it miles in debtand ruined many business, community, and world-wide relationships with its partners and customers?

I'm as qualified. You don't need a degree to be a logician and extrapolate the effects of decisions. You just need a brain and a solid foundation in logic, economics, and psychology. AMD is exuding weakness, losing money and market share in CPU and GPU land, and then goes and pulls this stunt? I'm more qualified to be AMD's CEO than Rory Reed ever was.

When I have wifi again I'll happily send it to you. (Spending Thanksgiving break with housemate's family in Chicago, with no wifi in the house ;(   Boo me...)

That sounds great. I can wait. Thanks.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Need I remind you of the many bad decisions AMd has made which have landed it miles in debtand ruined many business, community, and world-wide relationships with its partners and customers?

I'm as qualified. You don't need a degree to be a logician and extrapolate the effects of decisions. You just need a brain and a solid foundation in logic, economics, and psychology. AMD is exuding weakness, losing money and market share in CPU and GPU land, and then goes and pulls this stunt? I'm more qualified to be AMD's CEO than Rory Reed ever was.

Seriously, you make it sound like AMD is one of the worst companies ever and that they're doing so horrible, bleeding money out of every orifice, which is simply not true. Yes they are behind Intel in CPU advancement, but it's not so bad that their products cannot deliver anything substantial. AMD is not doing THAT badly (as bad as you make it sound). So please stop exaggerating.

IMO, AMD doesn't NEED to "catch up to Intel" per say. They don't need to be as big as Intel. They only need to deliver where Intel cannot. That may mean they will only ever be able to hold a certain [lesser] portion of the market (on the CPU front), but so be it. The company and business is totally sustainable in doing so. Also, they have a healthy chunk of the GPU market and their GPUs are extremely competitive (look at the R9 series vs. 700 series). They're also about to drop their newest, highest performing GPUs in H1 next year, which we can bet will outperform the 980 and at least compete on efficiency.

A company need not be the biggest in it's respective industry/field to thrive and be successful. Just because they cannot deliver a CPU with the capabilities you want in the time frame you want, does not mean they can't do it at all. I think there's a lot more to it behind the scenes of the business and the simple reality is; it's going to take longer, whether they/we want it to or not.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

You mean apart from 6 years of bad executive management, paying 1.4x what they should have in the ATI buyout, not having controlling interest in GloFo, and not having Intel's warchest and foundry equipment suppliers? I wrote a 20-page essay to the effect of why AMD as a company is suffering so much. These are just the bones and meat of it. The connective tissue where it all meshes together is the real brain fuck.

Looks like an interesting read. May I have a copy?

So long as Intel CPUs don't excessively go up in price I don't mind AMD taking longer to get it right.  I'd rather have a real alternative to Intel than another slightly cheaper slightly lower grade option.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

In the mean time they should just do what linus said make affordable dual or even quad cpu consumer motherboards so people can chuck a couple of 8350s for a decent price and get pretty decent performance.

In the mean time they should just do what linus said make affordable dual or even quad cpu consumer motherboards so people can chuck a couple of 8350s for a decent price and get pretty decent performance.

Doubt the 990FX chipset could handle as much as a potato on top of one 8350.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

AKA What they did with FX

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

Doubt the 990FX chipset could handle as much as a potato on top of one 8350.

That is true and was thinking about that but maybe just maybe asus or some other manufacture could make some insanely beefy board 

That is true and was thinking about that but maybe just maybe asus or some other manufacture could make some insanely beefy board 

Well they already made a Sabertooth with their own PCIe 3.0 solution, certainly possible. Daughterboard on an ATX form factor board, like they have on their better m-ITX boards? That would look funky. Could move the VRM off the mainboard and slap another socket on there.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

You mean apart from 6 years of bad executive management, paying 1.4x what they should have in the ATI buyout, not having controlling interest in GloFo, and not having Intel's warchest and foundry equipment suppliers? I wrote a 20-page essay to the effect of why AMD as a company is suffering so much. These are just the bones and meat of it. The connective tissue where it all meshes together is the real brain fuck.

This essay of yours: Is it something that is private and only meant for a school project or is it something which you could link me to? It's a subject I would like to know some more about, so if you could post a link to it or something along those lines I would be grateful :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

This essay of yours: Is it something that is private and only meant for a school project or is it something which you could link me to? It's a subject I would like to know some more about, so if you could post a link to it or something along those lines I would be grateful :)

It's being editted, and I'm in Hell week before finals, but over the break I'll send it your ways and to the others who've asked.

It's being editted, and I'm in Hell week before finals, but over the break I'll send it your ways and to the others who've asked.

I only noticed that it had already been asked twice after posting, but thanks :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

The sheer arrogance this exudes can not be understated...

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

The sheer arrogance this exudes can not be understated...

Is it arrogance when you are better than those you compare yourself to? Reed never should have been up for consideration as CEO. His track record before that was spotty. They should have merged with Nvidia instead of trying to buy out ATI. We'd have x86 CUDA APUs with some kick had AMD made the right decision. Even though Huang is an asshole, he had the money AMD desperately needed to keep both GloFo and its x86 operations afloat, and Nvidia had the engineers AMD lacked for SOC development.

If I had been CEO of AMD for the last 8 years, Intel would be in pain, and ATI would still be wholly canadian and as strong as it would have been.