System Build Upgrades - Do You Pay For Your Own Upgrades or Do Mum & Dad?

Geekazoid

So you should mate!

BTW, Fake_Phillbert told me, before he was murdered, that 24 isn't your real age. :P:D

Lol.

Fake_PhillBert was a lying sack of crap, that is why I had to kill him. Well... that, and he knew too much...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Hold on a sweet second.  Are you telling me the majority of Linus' forums are under 25, stay-at-home, part-time job at best kids?  Yikes!!

The majority of the reviews and news are about high end equipment.  A serious disconnect from who'd actually be purchasing said equipment.  The curved ultra wide monitor he just reviewed is $1500USD.  

Please tell me this is a prank.

Lol.

Fake_PhillBert was a lying sack of crap, that is why I had to kill him. Well... that, and he knew too much...

LMBO *falls off chair laughing* :lol:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Hold on a sweet second.  Are you telling me the majority of Linus' forums are under 25, stay-at-home, part-time job at best kids?  Yikes!!

The majority of the reviews and news are about high end equipment.  A serious disconnect from who'd actually be purchasing said equipment.  The curved ultra wide monitor he just reviewed is $1500USD.  

Please tell me this is a prank.

I think its a pretty safe statement to say the average age of the LTT forum is under 25.

But there are enough people around like myself that are out of school and have a full time career to keep things interesting. 

As for members with high end equipment, its all about priorities, even people who are still in school can save their money and put it into a hobby (like PCs) that they truly enjoy.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

@Real_PhillBert, you're good value mate (Aussy saying). :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I pay for anything I want. For birthday and Christmas they will give me some money. My grandparents do this as well.

I have self funded my flying for 5 years now.

I bought and upgraded my pc for 3 years now.

I recently bought my phone. (OnePlus One)

I just bought a k95 mx blue rgb, a m65 rgb, and a mousepad.

If I want something I buy it. Plain and simple.

@Real_PhillBert, you're good value mate (Aussy saying). :D

You dont seem so bad yourself. 

Although I am still trying to figure out how you guys stay on earth... Given the whole hanging upside down and toilets flushing backwards...

I pay for anything I want. For birthday and Christmas they will give me some money. My grandparents do this as well.

I have self funded my flying for 5 years now.

I bought and upgraded my pc for 3 years now.

I recently bought my phone. (OnePlus One)

I just bought a k95 mx blue rgb, a m65 rgb, and a mousepad.

If I want something I buy it. Plain and simple.

Im jealous of your K95 with Blues... that is what I really wanted about a year ago when I bought the K70, because the K95 was only available with reds.

Im jealous of your K95 with Blues... that is what I really wanted about a year ago when I bought the K70, because the K95 was only available with reds.

Same here. I sold my k70 and sensei raw plus my qck for $250.

My birthday is next week and my grandma gave me $100.

So spending $300 to get the k95 RGB, the m65 rgb, and a mousepad that is 38x18 in. Plus 3 day shipping I paid $298.

I have a net GAIN of $50 this week.

So it is as if I got the kb for free and got $50 for my birthday. 

Same here. I sold my k70 and sensei raw plus my qck for $250.

My birthday is next week and my grandma gave me $100.

So spending $300 to get the k95 RGB, the m65 rgb, and a mousepad that is 38x18 in. Plus 3 day shipping I paid $298.

I have a net GAIN of $50 this week.

So it is as if I got the kb for free and got $50 for my birthday. 

Sounds like a good week!

i pay for most of my stuff.with money i get from working 

but sometimes my dad helps me

Not a penny from my parents went to my build. It's my hobby and I gladly spend my own money on it, though I'm not at the age anymore where parents should be paying anything for me so guess that should be taken into account too.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

if my parents payed for anything i would ask who they really were.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

I've been responsible for my own tech since I bought my first iPod when I was idk whenever the fat nano came out. The only time my parents ever bought my brother and I anything tech related was an Xbox 360 for Christmas (which was stolen and they replaced it)

Edit: forgot they bought the family an original iPod nano when it launched. That thing was so cool

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I moved out last year. I pay for everything.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I wish I was a child again. I remember when I was 12 I did a minijob to get 40€ / month. I felt so rich.. :-)

Now I'm unhappy with my 1,4-1,5k € I get, lol. I want mooaar. Life's to expensive. After finding the LTT YouTube channel life was a little cheaper then now, haha. :P

Intel Core i7 7700k | Asus GTX 1080 ti Strix | Asus ROG Strix Z270F | 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 | 650W EVGA Supernova Plat | Corsair Crystal 460X | 4TB WD-B

Acer Predator X34P | Acer CB241HY | Logitech G513 | Logitech G903 & Powerplay | MMX300 Headpohnes | FiiO DAC-E10 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

My System on imgur

honestly before i turn to being "an enthusiast" parents paid but then was was like 300-400£ for a full computer rebuild and thats was only when it literally died.  

since then iv been paying for the whole thing. which is nice and suchs at the same time xD 

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

Nop, no job, 13 year old kid, but my dad instead of a 500 dollar PC decides to buy a VW Touareg, Passat, Eos, Opel Corsa and 9 fucking trucks for his bussiness.... Thx dad!

heh. i can't even save up for much of anything because my parent is always "borrowing" from me and never giving it back. or, with things like tax returns, just taking it all because "if it wasn't for me, you wouldn't even *get* a return". ( i don't know how to file my taxes. i tried once, but it had already been done. i'm not quick enough which is my own damn fault.). i just accept it as the way things will always be. i have some money hidden away and try to add to it every pay check. barring any unforeseen circumstances, i may be able to try a build next year. hmm...did i answer the question? i guess my answer would be "no one" because i have never upgraded a computer. 

I provide and have always provided my own funds.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

I try to save money from my student loan :P, otherwise I just wait. Never had anyone buy me any hardware.

Desktop: Fractel Design R5 - i5 4670K @ stock - Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 - 16GB @ 1600MHz - Asus GTX 970 - Corsair RM650 - OCZ Vector 150 240GB - WD Blue 500GB - Noctua NH-D15

Peripherals & OS: KBC Poker 2 MX Blue - Zowie FK2 - Audio-technica ATH-M50s - Audioengine D1- Windows 10 Pro Monitor: Asus PA248Q 1920x1200

I wonder what the demographics of the LTT forums are like.  That'd be a pretty good indication of who buys what for whom and how. 

You'd be hard pressed to get a realistic demo from this site, any thread poll with age/sex/financials/ideology/etc. I always click a random answer or something different from the previous.

But you know well enough from the posts on here its mainly high school age and below, with a small segment actually older, working, with money types (their own money). [No Poll needed for that]

-------

Also, does it really matter at the end of the day who bought it with whom's money as long as we're having fun?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.