PGI Developers banned from Reddit, PR disaster over new game

Hawx

http://themittani.com/content/traffic-control-transreversal

https://transversegame.com/

PGI are the developers of Mechwarrior Online, if you don't know.

Since PGI now owns the Wing Commander IP, they decided to create a new space sim, Transverse. However, it's practically a clone of Star Citizen, with some incredibly stupid stretch goals.

Take a look at the 'stretch goals' for Transverse. For one million dollars, you can fly a ship in space, but you can't adjust any fittings or modules on it, or shoot anything. For 1.5 million dollars, you can't shoot stuff, but you can fiddle with modules on your flying-in-space ship! For two million dollars Transverse aims high and reaches the level which oft-mocked Star Citizen has been at for months: multiplayer dogfighting! At the maximum listed stretch goal, you may have the opportunity to mine spacerocks, since that's something really exciting to cap everything in Transverse off with. 

The blogger goes on to talk about the cloned nature of the game:

How dare I say this trailer is shit! What a mean word for a member of the ~games press~ to throw around! Suffer as I have suffered and watch it. Your initial ships in the trailer bear an alarming design resemblance to Star Citizen's Origin 300i. The shady bar where our generic hero, Julian, sulks about the Fringe? I think I saw that in Starcraft 2. Our generic crescent-winged enemy drones - isn't that a Cylon Raider from Battlestar Galactica? Wait a second, the Fringe. Didn't this game come out in 2000? I'm not the only one staring at these ship designs with a suspicious eye. Check this comparison out; again we have an alarming resemblance to a Star Citizen hull. 

Due to past issues with angry consumers on the /r/MWO subreddit, Niko, the community manager, quickly jumped to control the /r/Transverse subreddit. After people started questioning the game, Niko deleted comments, nearly clearing out the subreddit within 24 hours of its existence. Niko doesn't have the best track record either, he's recently banned people from MWO just for complaining about the game on Facebook or even the Star Citizen forums.

With the release of Transverse and PGI's worst-in-class attempts to stifle dissent over their bungling of the beloved Mechwarrior IP in the prior months, the attempt to seize control over r/Transverse backfired horribly, resulting in Niko and every other PGI company reddit account being shadowbanned. 

c648498f86.png

https://transversegame.com/community/discussion/151/transmission-from-the-creative-director

When he says this is a Star Citizen clone, he isn't kidding. Just take a look at these comparisons:

Middle is Transverse, top and bottom are Star Citizen (part of their next great starship competition)

maYnwsv.jpg

Top is Star Citizen, bottom is Transverse:

TFVgJto.jpg

1pibumG.png

If you really want to see the rubbish trailer for the game, look here:

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I don't really care about this PGI bs since it's all about reddit crap. I've seen so much bs spewed there that you really shouldn't take it to heart. Blows my mind every time something related to it is referenced as news.

Gotta say that the pictures make me want a new Gundam game to come out in 2016.

I'm okay with there being more than one space sim. This will create competition between the major space sims that are out.

There may be more to what's going on here, but clearly the community team for the game are doing a bad job, but at the same time I'm sure they have some blatant Star Citizen fanboys trolling their subreddits and such.

LOL, just copy paste the damn game, also CIG should have bought the wing commander ip if it was under 500000$ at most, lots of people would have liked that

I'm okay with there being more than one space sim. This will create competition between the major space sims that are out.

There may be more to what's going on here, but clearly the community team for the game are doing a bad job, but at the same time I'm sure they have some blatant Star Citizen fanboys trolling their subreddits and such.

nothing wrong with more games, though at least put some effort on it, the game does look a lot like a carbon copy, also the stretch goals are the biggest BS in here

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I don't really care about this PGI bs since it's all about reddit crap. I've seen so much bs spewed there that you really shouldn't take it to heart. Blows my mind every time something related to it is referenced as news.

Gotta say that the pictures make me want a new Gundam game to come out in 2016.

Please try re-reading and not automatically generalizing the post, this is not reddit-specific, it's just a part of the issue. PGI are terrible to their community in general.

This isn't competition, this is PGI trying at a quick cash grab. They even told the MWO community that they 'don't care' about the original founders of the game, since they've already taken their money.

Be realistic, look at the stretch goals, look at the nature of the game. They've copied SC in a manner to make them some quick cash.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

LOL, just copy paste the damn game, also CIG should have bought the wing commander ip if it was under 500000$ at most, lots of people would have liked that

nothing wrong with more games, though at least put some effort on it, the game does look a lot like a carbon copy, also the stretch goals are the biggest BS in here

yeah i'm not seeing it, the design cues have similar aspects, it's not a clone. that's like people crying about dota2 being similar to LoL. Well hurr hurr of course it is it's the same genre.

so star citizen was the first and only space game?

No there is Elite Dangerous which looks like a pretty wicked space age themed game.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

yeah i'm not seeing it, the design cues have similar aspects, it's not a clone. that's like people crying about dota2 being similar to LoL. Well hurr hurr of course it is it's the same genre.

dota and lol look more different that this and SC, the biggest similarities could be the camera view and the mouse optimized HUD, that's about it, this games does look to want to portray start citizen well beyond of being in the same genre, besides the ship having some resemblance they have the same functionality, that fighter mid trailer has wings very similar to the 300i a mid range maneuverability optimized ship that has the same purpose

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

No there is Elite Dangerous which looks like a pretty wicked space age themed game.

that question was more rhetorical than anything else. Why is every space game being compared to star citizen that isnt even out yet. I mean It could bomb really hard.

that question was more rhetorical than anything else. Why is every space game being compared to star citizen that isnt even out yet. I mean It could bomb really hard.

Because Zombie themed games are dead. COD MW3 died 2013. BF4 Zombies mode #Lame. The more space age stuff is not an area many game developers have ventured into <--hahahaha get it #startrek quotes :P

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Just finished the whole article.

Yeah the deserved it, LOL

I'm not seeing the resemblance, basically every game and movie and show has a dropship with 4 articulating wing things.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I like to see attempts and censorship of opinion and damage control to be duly punished and create the Streisand Effect, it's what is right.

OMG the pics

its a god damn clone !!!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Don't think it was that important because it's reddit.

How do they own Wing Commander? Wasn't that EA?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Don't think it was that important because it's reddit.

How do they own Wing Commander? Wasn't that EA?

They purchased it from them a week or so ago I believe. They've been in talks with EA since 2012 over the IP.

Please try re-reading and not automatically generalizing the post, this is not reddit-specific, it's just a part of the issue. PGI are terrible to their community in general.

This is not news to me and your headline is terrible. Luckily people seem to have clicked anyway.

I was going to go on about MWO and how it is but I don't feel the effort is necessary. PGI are going downhill and that's about all that needs to be said.

LOL PGI! Scumbags if there ever were. I was a Founder, and I bought lots of other packs to help fund the game. 

Years later, and still nothing they promised have been implemented. It's still just a Team Deathmatch with some base capping. 

No way in hell shall I ever support them, or anything they do. Gaben knows how they managed to get the Wing Commander IP, but they'll probably mangle it as well.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q