Why is Norton Bad?

Raudi_

I honsestly want to know why everyone thinks its so bad?

Personaly I just use MBAM and Bitdefender for my system, but I have seen people get critized pretty hard about using Norton.

So unload everything you can about why its so bad.

Also if you feel like sharing your opinion about other anitviruses or antispyware go ahead it will be a good read.

Edit: If this is posted in the wrong spot can someone let me now and have a mod delete it or move it.

Edited by KingCry

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Every time I've used Norton it will kill things that are perfectly legit. I couldn't play World at War because of it until I uninstalled the POS.

Some people think it's antivirus that has evolved into fucking crapware.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

resource hog compared to others mainly. Has been known to occasionally see itself as a threat (rofl) 

Don't have any cites, just word of mouth. 

Resource Hog

Doesn't seem to do its job very well (imo, at least nowhere near as good as the competition)

Too many false positives

Too much spam (Mainly just reminders and messages saying "Oh look at this crappy thing we have)

Not enough performance maintenance options

In all honesty, I'd rather use a free antivirus than that thing.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I don't use Norton but I have a few words for AVG...

Please share these words I think this could be for all AntiVirus and spyware, it be great to have feed back and thoughts about the different programs.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

It's the worst AV for the money. Avast is a whole lot better IMO.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

It's bloated, doesn't catch everything and doesn't do anything to justify the subscription cost over free options. That's why people bag on Norton.

Edit: Oh right, false positives are also a thing. You're basically paying a subscription to be inconvenienced.

Some people think it's antivirus that has evolved into fucking crapware.

It's a resource hog and has a lot of false positives. Not to mention it begs you to not uninstall it when you attempt to uninstall it, which is annoying. It's like trying to break up with an overly attached girlfriend and she's completely in denial that's she's batshit crazy.

I find Norton very invasive, it slowed my old laptop down a fuckload too.

I use AVG on my desktop, I don't even notice it's there. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

1) uses a lot of system resources

2) lots of false positives, this strategy is used to scare users into buying premium antivirus plans that are useless

3) misses some low-level malware/viruses, aka not as effective as  something like malwarebytes

4) not updated often with the most recent malware

5) costs lots of money

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Please share these words I think this could be for all AntiVirus and spyware, it be great to have feed back and thoughts about the different programs.

ok then

When I used it (around the beginning of the year and before), it slowed my computer by about 25%, it had a decent load of falses, and it kept bugging me to buy shit (Avira and Avast! don't)

Not a fan of AVG.

Avira was good but holy shit it was a pain to uninstall for some reason.

No real comments on Avast.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

Norton is not as bad as people think.  In fact their heuristics are decently good. But it costs allot.  Not only that but Norton DOES white list adware/junkware such as toolbars and search changes and browser advertisements for money.   

But I'll tell you some of the most advanced malware, like ADVANCED has been caught by Norton and completley missed by AVG.  lol please don't tell AVG I said that.   But, Kaspersky on the other hand is my most favourite.

I recommend Kaspersky overall.  But yeah, Norton isn't bad.  Its just really expensive for what you get, its like comparing Alienware to a Custom PC, Custom PCs are cheaper for what you get and you get more.  But Alienwares aren't BAD but they are really expensive for what you get.  

Its kinda weird how allot of people don't realise how yes, paid antivirus software does have bonuses,  AVG isn't bad either.  But its important to believe the people with experience, for example allot of people think Avast is super good, yet against ADVANCED malware?  Nope, not a chance. 

ok then

When I used it (around the beginning of the year and before), it slowed my computer by about 25%, it had a decent load of falses, and it kept bugging me to buy shit (Avira and Avast! don't)

Not a fan of AVG.

Avira was good but holy shit it was a pain to uninstall for some reason.

No real comments on Avast.

Why aren't you a fan of AVG?  And what would you change?  

misses a ton of stuff catches harmless stuff and is annoying as hell

It misses allot of "average" malware like your average Trojan's and stuff yeah.  

I find Norton very invasive, it slowed my old laptop down a fuckload too.

I use AVG on my desktop, I don't even notice it's there. 

Norton is very invasive.  

AVG is nice, you'll be happy with the 2015 version.  Lots of improvements.  

I use Norton 360 and i don't have any problems with it.

Dude!  Norton 360 is like $100!  

It's great for people on tech support call centers though, we used to get calls we'd call a "Norton full system scan break" where you would tell a customer to just run a full system scan and you'd stay on the line and sit on your ass doing nothing for like 2 or 3 hours, good times :D

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why aren't you a fan of AVG?  And what would you change?  

I wouldn't know what to exactly do considering I'm not a programmer, I just disliked my experience using AVG as it bogged down my system (may have been fixed/gotten better for my case since I last used it, I have no clue).

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

It's the worst AV for the money. Avast is a whole lot better IMO.

Mate, your forgetting something here.

Mcafee.  Its bloody terrible.