Why is Norton Bad?

Raudi_

It's great for people on tech support call centers though, we used to get calls we'd call a "Norton full system scan break" where you would tell a customer to just run a full system scan and you'd stay on the line and sit on your ass doing nothing for like 2 or 3 hours, good times :D

Yeah, I bet a bunch of IT guys love norton since it brings in the cash for minimal effort (as you have just said)

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

I wouldn't know what to exactly do considering I'm not a programmer, I just disliked my experience using AVG as it bogged down my system (may have been fixed/gotten better for my case since I last used it, I have no clue).

Yeah, they are definitely improving compatibility and polish in the 2015 version.  Try it once it comes out, it should be good.   The interface has even changed and everything.  

Some people think it's antivirus that has evolved into fucking crapware.

Kinda has.  Norton is kinda like a beacon for crapware, 

"Crapware, its me again, I won't stop you }:D"

I used norton once and that was for about 30 seconds when my CPU was at 30% being used, then deleted it, stayed at 4%. so it just uses way too much resources and my mom had it on her laptop and it missed a few viruses and gave faulty positives like steam.

Been using Avast for 3 years now and never had one problem besides the stupid "Welcome to Avast" when a PC just booted up (turned on the silent/gaming mode and it never talked to me again)

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

As long as I've had Trend Micro on my devices (2 phones, tablet, and my laptop) I've never had a virus nor has it missed anything. In fact it always found stuff other AV programs couldn't. I happily pay the 50 dollars per year for it. My secondary choice would be Avast.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

1) expensive

2) resource hog

3) frequent annoying popups

4) almost as bad mcafee. almost

It's a resource hog and has a lot of false positives. Not to mention it begs you to not uninstall it when you attempt to uninstall it, which is annoying. It's like trying to break up with an overly attached girlfriend and she's completely in denial that's she's batshit crazy.

Hilarious

CPU: i7 4790k OC'd @ 4.6 ghz COOLER: Corsair H105 (SP 120mm Quiet Edition Fans) MOBO: ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 RAM: Kingston Hyper Fury 16GB (2x8) 1866mhz

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB HDD: WD Blue 1TB GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold Fully Modular CASE: Fractal Arc Midi R2

OPTICAL DRIVE: Samsung DVD Burner OS: Win 7 64bit   Please do some research of your own before asking questions. Google and Youtube are your friend.

it misses A LOT of stuff

its resources hungry too,

It used to be extremely resource hungry, but I thought they fixed that in later editions

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I've encountered a botched installation of Norton before... Disabled the PC's networking capability entirely...

Avast free is turning into nagware, and AVG was unable to stop the vbs script outbreak (not sure which but it spreads via removable drives, and hides your files) that we have to deal with...

Haven't tried Malware Bytes (is this free?) and only used McAfee Stinger for post-infection (I put it on a physically write-protected USB drive)...

I forgot that other popular tool for malware removal...

It's been stated multiple times already, it's a giant resource hog and there's far too many false positives.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I have a laptop from 2002 that is still running perfectly fine, but it was a slow, crashy machine until I took Norton off. Norton Antivirus damn near killed that computer. it screwed with literally every single thing that it needed to run properly. it would nag me literally every ten minutes whether I wanted to run a test and it wouldn't let me turn it off. I had to figuratively gouge Norton out of the hard disk with a trowel. Once I managed that, the laptop was completely usable, even by today's standards.

So the reason people despise Norton so much is that it has become the thing it was initially very good at destroying. Viruses. It's just not worth the hassle to install bloatware on your machine. Get a proper antivirus.

I used to use Norton Internet Security (NIS), was great. I could tweak it, it didnt slow my system down and it had an great interface. BUT I have had to rebuild my computer a few times due to updates from NIS. YES REBUILD. Their one update killed my system, everytime. So I moved to BIS (Bitdefender Internet Security) I can tweak this and it even has its own linux based repair boot up image. Lot of money for this software but it is actually worth it.

AVG, ESET, Kaspersky, AVAST, Mcafee, Trend Micro, F-Secure and Norton I have tried and never liked them. None can do what I want from network security like Bitdefender does (Also no start up lag)

I also used to use Comodo Free Firewall, till the interface changed !!. Has to be simple and pretty too be in my books :-p

Didn't let me play a  lot of multiplayer games. Couldn't connect to any servers.

#avastmasterrace