Samsung couldn't resist turning the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge into an ad

Dietrichw

I'm not gonna lie. It may be a bit of a dick move, but it's clever advertising.

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

If they donated money to the cause, is this really a big deal? For instance, if Linus or Slick do the ice bucket challenge, is that not some slight marketing, even if they do not monetize that video? Afterall, most of us watch the videos and the WAN show, to see them, they are essentially the product, are they not?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Samsung = Apple when it comes to being marketing-whores.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Of course they didn't mention Z2, it is actually waterproof, much better than waterresistant S5 that you can still get water in it if you are not careful.

As for the charity thing. It's bullshit. Nobody watching these stupid viral videos are donating shit. And all the people that are participating in these videos are fucking billionaires! They can single handedly wipe the disease of the plant by drowning it in money if they actually cared that much.

actually charitable donations to the ALSA have skyrocketed since the challenge went viral.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

I'd like to see someone make Justin Beiber do the ice bucket challenge. Except replace Ice with some sort of high powered acid, and or flaming gasoline. That alone would bring enough joy to the world to theoretically cure ALS I think.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm sick and tired of these Ice Bucket Challenge videos that explain absolutely nothing about what ALS is and just do it as if it's another one of those stupid challenges that spread around Facebook and other social media. As for Samsung... they just need to stop and rethink their adverts. I swear the more I see from them the worse and more annoying they are.

Well maybe this is just away to get people interested and to know about i then they can look it up themselves and more than likely while there looking it up they will donate right then as they are already on the computer because u know how humans are lazy also there would probs be a donate link on the site they are looking this up on so more of a chance of them donating rather than seeing an ad and listening to something they will most likely be like ok ill donate later when i get on the computer and then forget.

actually charitable donations to the ALSA have skyrocketed since the challenge went viral.

And they will drop like lead on next week, that's marketing.

It doesn't change my point about how all them rich people that participated in these videos have the resources to handle this themselves without hoping on the chance of some random guy donating maybe a 10 dollar bill if he feels like it but more likely he will just go "lol" and forward the video to someone else on facebook.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

And they will drop like lead on a week, that's marketing.

It doesn't change my point about how all them rich people that participated in these videos have the resources to handle this themselves without hoping on the chance of some random guy donating maybe a 10 dollar bill if he feels like it but more likely he will just go "lol" and forward the video to someone else on facebook.

"I'm upset that rich people don't pay for everything" -you

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

"I'm upset that rich people don't pay for everything" -you

I'm upset that rich people use a charity to boost their own popularity while seeming like they actually care.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I'm upset that rich people use a charity to boost their own popularity while seeming like they actually care.

they're gaining popularity, ALSA is gaining donations, more people know about ALS.

it's a win-win-win situation. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

they're gaining popularity, ALSA is gaining donations, more people know about ALS.

it's a win-win-win situation. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

Because they don't deserve the popularity they are gaining by seeming like they care about an illness. They are effectively lying.

In reality had they actually cared, they have enough cash for this donation drive to be unnecessary.

Because they don't deserve the popularity they are gaining by seeming like they care about an illness. They are effectively lying.

In reality had they actually cared, they have enough cash for this donation drive to be unnecessary.

I could give 2 shits about ALS, but if I donate money and spread awareness, how am I a bad person?

I could give 2 shits about ALS, but if I donate money and spread awareness, how am I a bad person?

Bill Gates can donate enough money to triple the total amount donated so far. Mark Zuckerberg can do the same.

They could if they actually cared. They don't therefore they donate a pitiful amount (for them) and make free advertisements for themselves doing "a noble deed"

Bill Gates can donate enough money to triple the total amount donated so far. Mark Zuckerberg can do the same.

They could if they actually cared. They don't therefore they donate a pitiful amount (for them) and make free advertisements for themselves doing "a noble deed"

"Baww rich people should donate more money than they are already doing to charity! bawww"

Even if they are giving away a "pitiful amount" they are still giving away quite a lot. They are also helping spread awareness which will cause even more people to donate.

They could if they actually cared. They don't therefore they donate a pitiful amount (for them) and make free advertisements for themselves doing "noble deed"

and how much have you donated? how many people did you spread ALS awareness to?

in case you never read anything about Bill Gates before, he and his wife started the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and he has donated billions of dollars to charities to improve situations in poor countries. He's not responsible for funding every single charitable cause.

They are also helping spread awareness which will cause even more people to donate.

Which would be totally unnecessary if they were to actually care and donate.

Do you not get my point? This isn't about ALS, AIDS or common cold. What I'm saying is I don't like it when a bunch of rich and famous people do publicity stunts to get more famous IN THE GUISE OF CHARITY.

Only on the Internet can you find people hating on a company for donating money and raising awareness for an illness...

Fanboys at their finest.

they aren't really spreading awareness as they didn't mention ALS at all and didn't ask people watching to donate or participate. All Samsung did was pour water on their product and call out competing products that aren't "water resistant". If they talked about ALS and asked people to donate or participate in spreading awareness I would applaud them, but they didn't do anything close to that.

All you people whinging about it like kids,  how about you personally go and donate more money to ALS than Samsung, then you have a right to accuse them of being dicks. 

Honestly, this forums is starting to fill with kids who'll take any opportunity to shit on a brand simply because they ill informed and to immature to understand global business.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

that was, really terrible ...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Only on the Internet can you find people hating on a company for donating money and raising awareness for an illness...

Fanboys at their finest.

I'm sorry, donating money? When did they do that?

Also, last time I checked raising awareness for a charity is supposed to be a selfless act, not a marketing gimmick you execute to hop on the viral bandwagon and make fun of your competitors. Besides which, they botched the video, so it's even less appropriate than before.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm sorry, donating money? When did they do that?

Also, last time I checked raising awareness for a charity is supposed to be a selfless act, not a marketing gimmick you execute to hop on the viral bandwagon and make fun of your competitors. Besides which, they botched the video, so it's even less appropriate than before.

by that logic everyone who has done the challenge is only self promoting and using the charity as a marketing gimmick.  The phone is Samsung's mainstream identity, they don't have a public figure head like bill gates, Natya,  elon musk or tim cook, all they have is their product.   So what, the footage was edited, show me a 5 minute video that hasn't been put together with 20 minutes of edited footage.

Honestly people are reading way too much into this. 

Samsung has also opted to donate money to the British Motor Neurone Disease Association,

We just don't know how much.  But I am sure you'll assume it is only a few dollars.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

by that logic everyone who has done the challenge is only self promoting and using the charity as a marketing gimmick.  The phone is Samsung's mainstream identity, they don't have a public figure head like bill gates, Natya,  elon musk or tim cook, all they have is their product.   So what, the footage was edited, show me a 5 minute video that hasn't been put together with 20 minutes of edited footage.

Honestly people are reading way too much into this. 

We just don't know how much.  But I am sure you'll assume it is only a few dollars.

Why are you sure about that? Why is it any more reasonable to assume they would donate a lot than donate a little?

I think you're missing the point here. Samsung's video is the marketing equivalent of an Indian Gift, i.e. they're expecting an ROI for making that video. Nobody else's is, whether or not they're seeking personal gratification or simply because the average person is extremely vain and loves to be told how sensitive they are and get a ton of likes on their YouTube video. And the whole point of my post is that they can't even have integrity for a single fucking advertisement that was only supposed to raise awareness for ALS.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Why are you sure about that? Why is it any more reasonable to assume they would donate a lot than donate a little?

I think you're missing the point here. Samsung's video is the marketing equivalent of an Indian Gift, i.e. they're expecting an ROI for making that video. Nobody else's is, whether or not they're seeking personal gratification or simply because the average person is extremely vain and loves to be told how sensitive they are and get a ton of likes on their YouTube video. And the whole point of my post is that they can't even have integrity for a single fucking advertisement that was only supposed to raise awareness for ALS.

Why are you so hell bent on labelling Samsung as idian givers and applying all these standards to them but not everyone else?  It is totally possibly that their intentions are just as legitimate as elon musk, bill gates and everyone else who does the challenge.

You are denying them integrity because you hate them.  Like everyone who is reading into this in a negative way, what is the rational for that?