Network layout showoff

Ssoele

First post here :)

I figured I'd finally join here after watching lots of the videos on YouTube.

I wasn't expecting to find a networking section here and other network/server enthusiasts, but this is exactly what I was hoping for!

I'm a network engineer by trade (CCNP R+S so far) so thankfully I get to put my hands on all sorts of interesting toys and they're happy for me to borrow hardware to test at home.

I can't be arsed to make a diagram as lovely as some of the ones on here, but here's a general overview of my house.

I don't run a VMWare lab anymore and no fancy storage, fibre or 10gbit networking at home - network is designed to be low power and low noise

Gateway used to be a combo of Meraki gear (MS220-8P, MR32 and MX64) and a Cisco 2702 AP (best AP I've owned to date, iperf speeds were balls to the walls fast) but we've been trialing some of the Ubiquiti kit in work as we'd like to move away from HP and Cisco and it's so cheap that general enthusiasts aren't priced out. I find some of their kit limited in its capabilities but it's amazing value. I don't know how Ubiquiti make money.

Domain controller is doing the usual DNS, RADIUS, SFTP, AD, yadda yadda.

Network in the 10.0.0.x/24 range, personal wifi authenticated via 802.1x, guest network for peasants on seperate vlan, Cat5e all over the house, dedicated switch ports VLAN'd off so I can plug straight into work, NAS is fast enough for Plex transcoding.

Nothing fancy tbh.

Next step is to swap out the old HP 2520 and Ubiquiti switch and get some layer-3 hardware in there and at least get some OSPF goodness throughout the house :D

Home.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First Time doing this, but this is how I have everything hooked up.

Home Network.jpg

• 1 month later...

And here's my network setup. In the lowerright corner is shown what every wire is. Wireless devices are phones, tablets and laptops and are not shown. Wires running through rooms to other rooms are actually running through those rooms in real life. Wires running around boxes are running through walls.

I also didn't display the Unifi Cloud Key which is connected to the TP-Link switch in the network closet.

Screenshot_143.png.28e8d9f897c23555fd2bca8fbd8ecad5.png

Made using gliffy.

2 hours ago, Zandor300 said:

And here's my network setup. In the lowerright corner is shown what every wire is. Wireless devices are phones, tablets and laptops and are not shown. Wires running through rooms to other rooms are actually running through those rooms in real life. Wires running around boxes are running through walls.

<snip>

That's awesome Zandor300.

I whipped this one up to give people an idea of what's what here. Not shown are the wireless devices and I've omitted a few other things. The backup AP is to give laptop users who are going to be outside for a while a decent connection speed. I'd like to buy another one or two Unifi APs and a controller but seeing as it's a family residence we all paid towards the initial setup of this new network when our FTTH was installed.

If I had the money I'd like to replace the cables at home with shielded Cat5e at the minimum and re-lay the existing runs but I don't and quite frankly I can't be bothered with actually doing it. It all works well enough for what we need even if I'd like to get maximum use of the internet speed over Wi-Fi.591ddeb1a74e9_ScreenShot2017-05-18at5_53_27PM.png.8d4ae06e64b0a4908a4afb27e65a9ed5.png

• 1 month later...

Here is mine. I did not try to to make the diagram look pretty so don't complain :) 

Selection_043.png

1 hour ago, CFstorm said:

Here is mine. I did not try to to make the diagram look pretty so don't complain :) 

Selection_043.png

What's with the connection from the modem to the Switch in the lower right? Is that for a VOIP phone system? How do the phones actually connect, is there a separate VLAN, VPN/tunnel, or separate public IP for them? Also what's the shell/console icon between your PC and the hypervisor server represent?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

10 hours ago, CFstorm said:

Selection_043.png

How do you run the Cisco 3725 non-stop. Isn't it very loud and hot? and guzzles your power bill like crazy. I think that the power savings would easily justify a migration to something like a Cisco 1921 which is faster, smaller, quieter and runs a newer version of IOS (version 15).

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply

23 hours ago, brwainer said:

What's with the connection from the modem to the Switch in the lower right? Is that for a VOIP phone system? How do the phones actually connect, is there a separate VLAN, VPN/tunnel, or separate public IP for them? Also what's the shell/console icon between your PC and the hypervisor server represent?

The branched connection is our 'second' network. The first one is mine, the second is the families. The Shell console shows that my computer and the server have direct SSH access to each other; also, you are correct on the phone system, separate public IP. 

12 hours ago, Cree340 said:

How do you run the Cisco 3725 non-stop. Isn't it very loud and hot? and guzzles your power bill like crazy. I think that the power savings would easily justify a migration to something like a Cisco 1921 which is faster, smaller, quieter and runs a newer version of IOS (version 15).

Most of the gear is stored in the crawl space. I have considered the 1921 and am planning to upgrade in the near future. 

A lot of very nice networking setups here:)

Here's mine:

First time I did a network topology with Libre Office so not as clean as I wanted...

595f7a5a595e8_HomeNetworkTopology.thumb.jpg.2112c170bf4d1571ce3a848e7a8fb0e8.jpg

So from my ISP I get 100Mb/s download and 30Mb/s upload.

They provided a router but I just use it as bridge to my TP Link TL-ER6020 router, configured with no-ip for remote connections.

Windows 10 server and OMV File server are connected in 10Gb/s SFP+ to the central DGS 1510-20 switch.

The VM server is connected with 3 1Gb links to a DGS 1210-16 switch.

The other members of the network are my girlfriend's laptop (an Asus something, just can't remember it right now), my laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S7210), an all-in-one HP 6500a printer/fax and my good old HTPC.

The servers, switches and router are racked in an 42U open cabinet so the setup is not very clean for now.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my current home network, though it's still a work in progress.  Diagram is drawn using Visio.

Home Network.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 10:05 AM, Lurick said:

Updated diagram after some additions and changes :)

oVjvG1C.jpg

I love how you named your computers: Goliath, Orion, Oceanus, and Upstairs.

12 minutes ago, newgeneral10 said:

I love how you named your computers: Goliath, Orion, Oceanus, and Upstairs.

Upstairs is for the wireless AP :D

I try to name everything after Greek Titans for consistency.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Here is an updated topology of mine. I have other people connecting to my network and I am using BGP for my routing protocol. I am assigning autonomous systems to them.

Spoiler

SNMPc_Root.PNGSNMPc_Mike.PNGSNMPc_Ron.PNG

SNMPc_Trevor.PNG

3 hours ago, droidrzrlover said:

Here is an updated topology of mine. I have other people connecting to my network and I am using BGP for my routing protocol. I am assigning autonomous systems to them.

Reveal hidden contents

SNMPc_Root.PNGSNMPc_Mike.PNGSNMPc_Ron.PNG

SNMPc_Trevor.PNG

Looks cool, but this layout sharing topic is supposed to be home networks - I have a hard time believing that this is your home network, and if it is, why? (serious question, not sarcastic)

On 8/29/2017 at 5:47 PM, brwainer said:

Looks cool, but this layout sharing topic is supposed to be home networks - I have a hard time believing that this is your home network, and if it is, why? (serious question, not sarcastic)

It is my home network and I have some friends connecting to me via GRE. The third octet in my IP addresses correlate with the VLAN they are on. To give an example 172.16.10.0/24 is my network for all my PCs and main wireless devices. .20.0/24 is my phone VLAN, .30.0 is my server VLAN, .40.0/24 is my wireless management for all my controllers for my wireless lab. .75.0/24 is for my console, .100.0/24 is for my guests who come to my house.

I purchased my routers off of eBay.

I have hot standby router protocol running in my home network so that I have 99.9% uptime.

The routers were fairly cheap on eBay.

To be simple, the network is really only two routers with multiple sub interfaces on them and two routers on a stick.

3 hours ago, CK1968 said:

59b095b7b84f0_Screenshotfrom2017-09-0702-36-46.png.5b97bf103efadc9d91867c1074b155ba.png

So.... based on this diagram, it looks like your main PC is acting as either a switch or router? Why?

Here is an updated version of my home network diagram.

Untitled Diagram.png

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

23 minutes ago, idiocracy said:

Simple.

Sometimes simple is the best, its a PAIN to wire all this stuff xD! 

20170910_191556[1].jpg

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

43 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

Sometimes simple is the best, its a PAIN to wire all this stuff xD!

I suppose it could've been a lot worse. And updated the diagram.

DSC_0004.JPG

Nope....Just nope.

This is my home network.

RED = LAN

GREEN = CAMERAS

BLUE = DMZ

YELLOW = TRUNK

59b6ae41e452a_HOMENETWORK-Page1.thumb.png.45d24e78591882706b4d56bbaeb9c5fd.png

I use mostly Unifi gear, but there are some 10/100 Netgear switches in there that I didn't mention for places like my entertainment center and garage.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

My work in progress setup. Need to add in the 24 port, Spirit server (once I can get an OS to install and boot thanks HP), move the netgear switch from the family room desk to TV area and finally reconfigure the AC 1750+crapy AT&T box. 

sfi3pgoq6df5iyjn0gej.png?utm_medium=live

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

My work in progress setup. Need to add in the 24 port, Spirit server (once I can get an OS to install and boot thanks HP), move the netgear switch from the family room desk to TV area and finally reconfigure the AC 1750+crapy AT&T box. 

sfi3pgoq6df5iyjn0gej.png?utm_medium=live

you have "R700 just as AP" - do you mean a Ruckus R700? because that can only be an AP. But its a really good one.

Just now, brwainer said:

you have "R700 just as AP" - do you mean a Ruckus R700? because that can only be an AP. But its a really good one.

no the netgear sorry its n900

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs