Network layout showoff

Ssoele

This is a general overview of my current home network setup.

nyc01.drawio.png

• 6 months later...

Networks

• VID10 - Production - 10.10.100.254/24 - DHCP
  • VID20 - Homelab - 10.10.20.254/24 - DHCP - Not currently in use, yet...
  • VID30 - Private WiFi - 10.10.30.254/24 - DHCP
  • VID50 - [NEIGHBOURS NETWORK] - 10.10.50.254/24 - DHCP
  • VID40 - IoT - 10.10.40.254/24 - DHCP
  • VID70 - Public WiFi - 10.10.70.254/24 - DHCP

Switches

• Netgear JGS516PE

Gateways/Firewalls

• WatchGuard T35

DHCP

• Runs off of the WatchGuard

DNS

• Runs on 3TKDC01

Access points

• 2 * UniFi UAP-AC Lite's

Servers:

• 1 Physical Dell PowerEdge T610, running Windows Svr 22 with Hyper-V role for following VM's:
    • 3TKUNIFI01 - Ubuntu, UniFi software controller for my AP's at home, one at my workshop and one in my neighbours house.
    • 3TKFS02 - Windows Svr 22, Basic file server, 01 no longer exists as Windows died and it wasn't worth my time/effort to repair so I just rebuilt it.
    • 3TK3CX01 - Ubuntu, hosts 3CX for use within the family.
    • 3TKMEDIA01 - Windows Svr 22, Hosts Emby, Radarr, Sonarr and "some other stuff"
    • 3TKDC01 - Windows Svr 22, Domain Controller, DNS, AD, GPO, etc
    • 3TKGAME01 - Windows Svr 22, Hosts some minecraft servers

For any wondering, my neighbour is my best mate and instead of having two internet connections in two houses, we have 1 good one in mine and a Cat6 run between the houses which serves his side, all VLAN'ed off as above.

Any questions, shoot.networkdiagramcensored.thumb.jpg.2844c57df8ef328ed4bbbfa660953288.jpg

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

• 1 month later...

Nothing particularly special.  There are a few devices (i.e. alarm panel) that still need to be added to the diagram.

NetworkDiagram.thumb.jpg.49b267c303f43a43d0022781179bc771.jpg

Acer Predator Helios 300 – Model #PH315-53-764Q CPU-Z

• Keyboard — Corsair K57 RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard – Model #RGP0085
  • Memory (RAM) — 64GB Kingston FURY Impact – Part #KF432S20IBK2/64
  • Mouse — Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse – Model #RGP0052
  • Operating System — Windows 11 Professional (64-bit)
  • Stand — TopMate C11 Gaming Cooler
  • Storage (HDD, SSD)
    • 1× 4TB Samsung 870 EVO – Model #MZ-77E4T0B/AM
    • 2× 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus – Model #MZ-V7S2T0/AM

Anda Seat Kaiser Series Premium Gaming Chair – Kaiser II – Model #AD12XL-02-AB-PV/C-A02

HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e

Samsung 7.1.2 Soundbar – Model #HW-Q900A/ZC

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite – Model #SM-T227U

Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro – Model #SM-R925F

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 – Model #SM-F721W

TP-Link Archer AX11000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router

• 3× TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 8-Port PoE+ – Model #TL-SG1016PE
    Noctua 40x20mm Premium Fan – Model #NF-A4x20 FLX
      • TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender – Model #RE705X
    • IoT
      • TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender – Model #RE305

• 4 weeks later...

This is my current network setup network-wise, excluding all of my clients.

Router: Ubiquiti UXG-Pro

• WAN Handoff: 2.5GbE to ISP via Mikrotik S+RJ10
  • LAN Handoff: 10Gb Ubiquiti UC-DAC-SFP+
  • The LAN RJ-45 Port is assigned as a "Lab Network" uplink which occasionally has a Mikrotik CHR instance virtualized inside of Proxmox VE, which goes to my network lab (primarily used to QA and configure a local LAN party event's network).

Switches:

Ubiquiti USW-Enterprise-24 PoE

2x Ubiquiti USW-Flex-Mini

The USW-Enterprise-24 PoE is my core switch. ALL network devices including the APs and USW Flex Minis uplink over Ethernet to the core switch. There are no wireless uplinks. All network switches and APs are PoE powered by the USW Enterprise 24.

The USW-Flex-Minis provide additional Ethernet ports to devices in two different bedrooms. Primarily Gaming PCs, Smart Televisions, and PlayStations.

Access Points:

3x U6-Enterprise-IW

1x U6-Enterprise

The U6-Enterprise-IW APs are wall mounted in bedrooms, and provide 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/6Ghz Wireless access to the house. They also act as a four port switch for hard wired devices like Smart TVs, PCs, and Game consoles in the bedrooms.

The U6-Enterprise is ceiling mounted in the basement to provide service.

All access points are running two different SSIDs - a WPA2 SSID for devices older than 802.11ac Wave 2 which do not support WPA3, and this SSID only runs on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. A second SSID operates on 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and 6Ghz, and runs WPA3. Any device supporting WPA3 and/or 6Ghz will be joined to the second SSID. All APs are evenly spaced in an triangle arrangement between any three APs. The signal on 6Ghz is no weaker than -75dB at any point in the house.

Noteworthy Devices:

For my NAS I have a Synology DS1819+ which is provided 4x1GbE in an 802.3ad (Link-Aggregation/LACP) bundle. This device runs some various programs such as Plex and rrdtool, in addition to acting as a file server. This has ~80TB of Storage.

A secondary NAS, a Buffalo LS-CHL, is also connected with a 1Gb Ethernet link. This device simply backs up important directories on the primary NAS on a regular basis and goes offline when complete. This has 1TB of storage.

A Raspberry Pi 3B+ running Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS (64-bit) is connected via 100Mbps Ethernet and uses a PoE power supply. This device runs as my UniFi Network Controller.

ISP:

1Gbps/35Mbps DOCSIS 3.1 service. Tests 1.2Gbps down, 42Mbps up, and soon will be 1.2Gbps down, 940+Mbps up once the provider finishes High Split upgrades.

IPv4 / IPv6 Dual Stack with public IPv4 addressing, and a /56 block of IPv6 addresses.

ISP provided CPE (only hardware available supporting high split DOCSIS)

Wiring:

1x CAT5e drop to every room. All APs run 2.5GbE over CAT5e. The USW-Flex-Minis are 1Gbps. 10Gbps between the core switch and the router via DAC. 2.5GbE between the ISP modem and the router via CAT5e. All NASs are 1Gbps Copper. All clients are 100Mbps or 1Gbps depending on capabilities.

sw.png

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my current home setup.

All the wiring is Cat 6. 

At some point I would like to upgrade to a switch with 10G capabilities, but this is where it stands now.

NetworkTopology.jpg

20230728-114220-1.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

• 4 weeks later...

This is just my home network setup minus wired regular devices/WIFI devices as that would be super cluttered with everything i have wired. I try to wire everything that can be. I have my NAS's/Servers listed though. Not the best drawing lol, but threw this together quickly and using libre office; first time using that instead of Visio as I am not on my work PC currently lol. I am using a lot of Unifi's setup, talk/protect/network. Realized after posting this I left my network printer off the diagram but oh well 🙂 

image.png.ff0031e6a7f8905d2a067d8cb30f1604.png

image.thumb.png.6d5acf8bc240cfd26be36032f7b1d863.png

I'll soon be replacing the DES-1005P and TL-SG105-M2 with a Ubiquiti Enterprise-8-poe. I'm also thinking of replacing the QSW-1105-5T with another QSW-2104-2T, and then I'd be able to have [totally-unnecessary-but-awesome] 10G running throughout my apartment

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jack Harryy said:

This string is intended to show us your organization design. A few guidelines. You should have a legitimate organization graph; Something made in Microsoft Visio,

Page 1:

It must be your own network; Don't try to impress by showing off a corporate network, we are looking for consumer networks

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 2 months later...

Mine's pretty simple, but here it goes:

image.png.26a106f5e20fbf37c1984cac776e954a.png

My router is a R5S with OpenWRT, load balancing 2x 500Mbps links with mwan3. I have it attached to a dumb 8 port switch that's also connected to two access points, one is a Tenda MW6 whitelabel (has gigabit ports), and the other is a MW3 whitelabel (100mbps ports only), the third AP is wireless only.

Rest is just a bunch of clients that are either on wifi or on the switch.

All of this is backed by a 2KVA UPS, I'm currently waiting on a add-on for it with 2x 12v 40Ah batteries (in series) for some extra run time whenever power fails.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

• 1 month later...

Network has been updated, added a cisco 1841 to handle my BGP, the other "routers" are just my PFSENSE boxes which I also use BGP.

image.thumb.png.c0eedd944519eba9148168582dc3cfb3.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

• 3 weeks later...

I used LucidChart for free to make my attached diagram.

About my network:

• The ER-X's main purpose is to support failover between 5G Gateway (primary) and DSL (failover because its slow and less reliable) - Failover wizard was easy to use with moderate networking knowledge.
  • ER-X's SmartQueue QoS doesnt bottleneck my 5G home internet as long as download traffic doesn't hit 200+ mbps (which 5G can hit sometimes). Instead of SmartQueue I tried prioritizing specific traffic instead via DSCP tagging & Advanced Queue config, but it was tough to get it working well and do much for me.
  • There's a double NAT with the 5G Gateway to the ER-X because ISP hardware can't be configured with a DMZ or passthrough. It's caused no issues so far, but I also don't play much online games and I don't access my NAS from the internet. I have my best practices with 5G home internet here in this guide.
  • ASUS ZenWifi Mini AX1800 for me was a solid mesh upgrade from an AC1200 mesh that I couldn't disable the router of. Just the higher non-traditional QAM alone (like 1024 @ 5 GHz band) really helped with higher link speeds at moderate to far distances, enough for the 3 APs to cover most of my two story home in solid 5 GHz. I temporarily put one node in wireless mesh mode due to some home improvement, and it's worked fairly well for handling a handful of devices connecting to it that can demand a total of 100-200 mbps.
  • There are up to 20 devices that can connect to wifi, but for the ~10 not pictured here I couldn't find good pictures for them and most of them are smaller devices anyways which don't communicate often or use much data.  The APs and router seem to handle them all well.
  • NAS backups are hardly bottlenecked by 1gbps networking speeds because most files I backup are small, and random write speeds are trash for HDDs are weak. So the cost of 2.5 or 10gbps networking wouldn't really benefit me, especially when my internet isn't pushing more than 200 mbps.
  • I went with MoCA 2.0 bonded (1gbps) and 2.5 (2.5gbps) instead of ethernet because there was already perfect locations for coax and coax splitter where I would've otherwise put ethernet. So I didn't want to go through all the extra effort to remove the coax runs on the home's exterior, pull ethernet through the coax holes, re-seal them, etc. I just wish it was easy to check the signal/quality of the coax connection, as the steps provided with the coax adapters to access their web interfaces don't seem to work. I tried to mitigate signal issues by placing a coax terminator on the unused port of the 4 port coax splitter.
  • I bought my Edgerouter, ASUS mesh, and two 2-packs of MoCA adapters all from ebay for half off their usual new price. Otherwise, it could've cost me as much as $600 to buy them all new. I bought my switch new, since switches are the cheapest network hardware.

NobleGamer Network Layout - Feb 2024.jpg

• 1 month later...

Main goal of the network setup: Insane speed. Everything related to me and what I do needs to be connected via 10G, family gets 1G Ethernet. Whenever two switches get connected, dual LACP 10G trunk is used to avoid even the slightest chance of me having to wait an additional nanosecond. And being able to transfer 2-3 Gigs in just a two or three seconds. Because: lack of patience.

The ML rig is copying quite big chunks of data around, which is being changed a lot.

Also I'm running completely on Linux, so my home-drive is located on the server. Because backup. And replication. All systems and servers are AM4-based, using the Asrack B550D4ID-2L2T mainboard. With the Ryzen 7 5700X3D as CPU, because that thing is awesome when it comes to DB-operations. One chiplet and the huge cache is super cool.

network.thumb.png.9a3f80c475b6d41be9cad5f20d1d774e.png

• 4 weeks later...

My "On A Budget" Telecom Industry Professional Home Network:

ISP:

• Bell Fibe 1.5Gbps (running 940/940mbps symmetrical)
  • ONT removed from the Sagecom Router and Inserted into a 1Gbps Media Converter

Router:

• UISP EdgeMax 12 Router
  • VLANs for Bell Fibe and PPPoE configured
  • MTUs on VLANs configured so the WAN/LAN ports running at full 1500 MTU

Switch: 

• Cisco SG500X-48MPP
  • 4x 10Gbit SFP+ Ports
  • 48x 1Gbit PoE++ Ports

WLAN:

• 1x Omada OC200 WLAN Controller
  • 1x Omada EAP650 WAP
  • 3x Omada EAP655W WAPs

NAS:

• 1x Synology RS2418RP+ 91.3TB usable storage
  • 1x Synology DS1513+ 43.3TB usable storage
  • SMB disabled and using NFS based network shares to maximize file share performance

SERVERS:

• 1x Beelink Ser7 Pro w/ 32GB RAM Ryzen 7 7840HS running Windows 11 Pro
  • Beelink connected w/ 2.5Gbps NIC via CAT6 to MultiGIG SFP+ module in SG500X 10Gbps SFP+ Port
  • NFS Mounted Shared Drives from Synology NAS Appliances
  • EMBY Premier and QBitorrent running with storage for media and emby cache stored on Synology NAS Appliances

SMART HOME:

• 40x WEMO Dimmers & Smart Switches
  • WEMO was one of the worst investments I could have made. It was 2018 so my bad.
  • 2x KASA Switches for HRV & Backyard LED lights
  • 10x Google Home Hubs and Speakers
  • Google Home Smart Tech was the second worst investment next to WEMO

FAVOURITE CLIENTS:

• Beelink GTR7 Pro Ryzen 9 7940HS w/ 64GB Kingston Fury Impact DDR5 & 2TB WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe
  • Lenovo P14S Gen 4 Ryzen 7 Pro 7840U w/ 64GB DDR5 & 1TB NVMe PCIE 4.0 SSD

On 3/19/2024 at 1:18 PM, BigFatTeddy said:

Main goal of the network setup: Insane speed. Everything related to me and what I do needs to be connected via 10G, family gets 1G Ethernet. Whenever two switches get connected, dual LACP 10G trunk is used to avoid even the slightest chance of me having to wait an additional nanosecond. And being able to transfer 2-3 Gigs in just a two or three seconds. Because: lack of patience.

The ML rig is copying quite big chunks of data around, which is being changed a lot.

Also I'm running completely on Linux, so my home-drive is located on the server. Because backup. And replication. All systems and servers are AM4-based, using the Asrack B550D4ID-2L2T mainboard. With the Ryzen 7 5700X3D as CPU, because that thing is awesome when it comes to DB-operations. One chiplet and the huge cache is super cool.

network.thumb.png.9a3f80c475b6d41be9cad5f20d1d774e.png

Do you have issues with roaming between D-LINK APs without a WLAN controller coordinating the handoffs? 

I previously had Google Wifi before deploying OMADA products. Roaming between my APs in my house was always an issue. 

On 2/9/2024 at 7:52 PM, NobleGamer said:

I used LucidChart for free to make my attached diagram.

About my network:

• The ER-X's main purpose is to support failover between 5G Gateway (primary) and DSL (failover because its slow and less reliable) - Failover wizard was easy to use with moderate networking knowledge.
  • ER-X's SmartQueue QoS doesnt bottleneck my 5G home internet as long as download traffic doesn't hit 200+ mbps (which 5G can hit sometimes). Instead of SmartQueue I tried prioritizing specific traffic instead via DSCP tagging & Advanced Queue config, but it was tough to get it working well and do much for me.
  • There's a double NAT with the 5G Gateway to the ER-X because ISP hardware can't be configured with a DMZ or passthrough. It's caused no issues so far, but I also don't play much online games and I don't access my NAS from the internet. I have my best practices with 5G home internet here in this guide.
  • ASUS ZenWifi Mini AX1800 for me was a solid mesh upgrade from an AC1200 mesh that I couldn't disable the router of. Just the higher non-traditional QAM alone (like 1024 @ 5 GHz band) really helped with higher link speeds at moderate to far distances, enough for the 3 APs to cover most of my two story home in solid 5 GHz. I temporarily put one node in wireless mesh mode due to some home improvement, and it's worked fairly well for handling a handful of devices connecting to it that can demand a total of 100-200 mbps.
  • There are up to 20 devices that can connect to wifi, but for the ~10 not pictured here I couldn't find good pictures for them and most of them are smaller devices anyways which don't communicate often or use much data.  The APs and router seem to handle them all well.
  • NAS backups are hardly bottlenecked by 1gbps networking speeds because most files I backup are small, and random write speeds are trash for HDDs are weak. So the cost of 2.5 or 10gbps networking wouldn't really benefit me, especially when my internet isn't pushing more than 200 mbps.
  • I went with MoCA 2.0 bonded (1gbps) and 2.5 (2.5gbps) instead of ethernet because there was already perfect locations for coax and coax splitter where I would've otherwise put ethernet. So I didn't want to go through all the extra effort to remove the coax runs on the home's exterior, pull ethernet through the coax holes, re-seal them, etc. I just wish it was easy to check the signal/quality of the coax connection, as the steps provided with the coax adapters to access their web interfaces don't seem to work. I tried to mitigate signal issues by placing a coax terminator on the unused port of the 4 port coax splitter.
  • I bought my Edgerouter, ASUS mesh, and two 2-packs of MoCA adapters all from ebay for half off their usual new price. Otherwise, it could've cost me as much as $600 to buy them all new. I bought my switch new, since switches are the cheapest network hardware.

NobleGamer Network Layout - Feb 2024.jpg

UISP Edge Router products from Ubiquiti are such hidden gems. I love the UISP portfolio.