Network layout showoff

Ssoele
3 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

@Lurick - how much did the ASAv licenses end up costing if you don't mind me asking?

For me it was free since I got it as part of my job role pretty much :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 2 weeks later...

5lv1ph.png 

so then this is the network as it stands at this moment 

Device list 

• Entertainment 
    • TV is a Sony 55 inch 4K android 
    • STB 1 and 2 are as advertised one for my ISP IPTV and the other is nationall IPTV provider for channel diversity 
    • and the sony Bluray 
  • Mobile computing 
    • Tile is a Lenovo Yoga 910 and is my mobile daily driver 
    • Tile-old is a Hp Probook that is too old too heavy and now too slow and now changes OS as a whim hits me 
    • work laptop well thats prtetty much as advertised 
  • the printer is a cheep brother wireless Laser printer 
  • Servers 
    • Nas is in build atm amd while technically attached to the network its defs a WIP at the moment 
    • Slate is a scratchpad server that is my testing location for all the stupidity before i roll an idea live 
    • Firebrick serves as web / mail / database and will soon take over DNS / DHCP from my modem  
  • Workstations 
    • Cornerstone is the PC i have been using as my non mobile daily driver for the past 4 years its currently being replaced by Cornerstone V2 
    • Cornerstone V2 is the new kid on the block  and as soon as i get all my data moved over or off to the NAS (when complete) there will be a name refactor 
  • Switches 
    • switch 1 is a D-link DGS-1016a 16 port Gigabit non managed consumer switch 
    • switch 2 is a TP-Link TL-SG108 8 port Gigabit consumer switch 
    • the access point is a Ubiquity unify UAP-AC-PRO
  • Modem 
    • this is fairly unremarkable POS ISP supplied ADSL modem.  i have 3 diferent iterations of them and they change out regularly as i end up testing them for work and one of these days im going to get my Cisco 867 sorted out (we no longer offer that as an option to business customers so its not in the testing rotation )

General Thoughts an musings about my network 

The only real reason for switch two is so that i only have one Ethernet cable running to my office. and i think that the 16 port one will soon be replaced wiht a second hand HP procurve 3400CL switch ... they can generally be found online for a good price and are fully non blocking with something like an 86Gig back-plane and space for 2 10Gig fiber up-links (that i would have almost no use for atm ) the 48port ones would have fun trying to saturate that back-plane. The main reason for the upgrade is not that im saturating either of the Gigabit switches i currently have but more that the HP is managed.

Slate and firebrick are currently running on Rasberri Pi's, Firbrick on a pi 3 and slate a pi2, i dont do a lot of work out to the world with my web/mail so atm the Pi is completely suitable for that job but im really wondering if i am going to take the Cornerstone hardware and throw ESXi on it then pull mail web and Database into different VM's 

as it stands i haven't had a need for web/mail or associated stuff for a while so the addition of Firebrick is only about 3 weeks old at the moment and was put in place to get some network management running in this case Cacti and smoke ping. 

initially cacti and smokeping were put in place to help me identify some network issues that i was seeing (massive prolonged ping spikes huge chunks of lost packets)  but as per bloody usual as soon as i added monitoring and got it going the issues are gone 

if yall are interested in my connection to the world i have pulled some of the relevant cacti graphs onto http://www.fish-tank.ninja/network.html this page where you can see my latency over time to 4 DNS servers and some strategically chosen points in my routing too a game server in London that i use a lot 

there is also the smoke ping page that shows similar data in a different way  http://www.fish-tank.ninja/cgi-bin/smokeping.cgi?target=MULTIHOSTS 

smoke ping shows the latency in a better way but Cacti's SNMP integration means i can do a whole lot more with it in the long run (this is where the 3400CL comes into the picture) 

there also needs to be a name reorganization as traditionally Cornerstone is the center of my network and all devices are named after brick/stone products in this case Firebrick probably needs to be renamed as it is in no way any sort of firewall. that said there definitally needs to be some kind of firewall device added into the network some time soon 

On 17/01/2018 at 10:23 PM, Lurick said:

Made some changes/updates :)

:o could you take a picture of the front? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

11 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

:o could you take a picture of the front? 

That's about as much of the front as I can get. It's maybe a few feet from the wall so a proper front picture is hard :(

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

46 minutes ago, Lurick said:

That's about as much of the front as I can get. It's maybe a few feet from the wall so a proper front picture is hard :(

Aw. :( How comes you have multiple switches? I've got 2 only. xD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

30 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Aw. :( How comes you have multiple switches? I've got 2 only. xD

Just two switches :P

One is for UPOE and MGig and the other is for POE+ and just does gig (excluding the 10Gig module)

Then I've got a 3504 WLC

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, sapage said:

Hopefully in the spirit of fun for this thread.

https://imgur.com/a/XTorV

I should really cable it up or something. 

LOL xD

My network. :)

Network pic.jpg

On 3/10/2018 at 2:32 PM, Denned said:

Not enough Cisco in here, so here's my little setup. :)

That stuffs old man!

You need to get the new 3504 and some Catalyst 9300s, gosh! :P

Upgrade that 5506 to a 5585 :D

Kidding of course, it looks nice :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Still under construction....any suggestions for the Storage Closet to change the 3 computers into an Array or a server? Or should i look for a NAS?

Network Set Up.PNG

Xilence Interceptor Pro / Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z / Intel i7 2600K 4.8Ghz / 8GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 2133mhz / Gigabyte RX-550 2GB / Corsair RM750

NetDiag.thumb.jpg.378fb1158fd9d4704aeb28c50e1dfaa8.jpg

My setup at home:

• 1000/1000 Fiber Internet
  • Pfsense Router/Firewall (Fujitsu Esprimo, Pentium G645, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Intel PRO/ 1000 PT Dual Port NIC)
  • Netgear GS105 Switch
  • Unifi AP Lite (For mobile, my laptop(s) and guests)
  • HP Microserver Gen8 (4x8TB Seagate IronWolf HDD's, 16GB RAM, FreeNAS)
  • Webserver (Intel Core i7 2600K, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 5TB HDD, FreeBSD)
  • Workstation/Gaming PC (Check my signature for specs)
  • Fileserver (Xeon 1230v3, 8GB RAM, 15TB HDD, Debian, Not connected to this network though)

Temporary cable management, just moved all the stuff to the closet.

Going to drill some holes for cables in the back later.

Dautaskaup-1.thumb.jpg.f38d2a48fb4bab6b6e6338116dfa139b.jpg

Dautaskaup-2.thumb.jpg.b8f3ae1772c5f54a2d990827fc3c3c99.jpg

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

• 3 weeks later...

I should set up a real server for NAS and VPN because my router cannot run OpenVPN properly (still talking on support for past 3 months, apparently their office in california does NOT have a R8000P so they cannot troubleshoot properly)

Everything on 192.168.0.xxx so streaming video from one room to another is really easy. Had thought of using Mesh wifi but I have doubts on the wi-fi capabilities since satellites can't connect to the main router through Ethernet (Asus added mesh to some normal routers right?).

Sony HDTVs connected by cable for DLNA and both cast dongles are by wi-fi.
image.png.26d1e2c70a56d9557df34aae5f0803a2.png

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

• 3 weeks later...

My humble setup:

• Modem -> Arris SB8200 with Xfinity gigabit service
  • Firewall/router -> pfSense 2.4.1 on a Supermicro A1Sri-2758f - handles gigabit with snort all day long.
  • Core switch -> HP 1810-24G v2
  • PoE switch -> JGS516PE PoE semi-managed switch
  • AP -> DLINK DAP-2660
  • Printer -> Brother 2700 series All-in-one
  • Cameras -> Mixture of wireless and wired Foscam (cheap and functioanl)
  • NAS -> HP Microserver running Freenas (a hell of an upgrade from a crappy ARM based QNAP appliance).
  • VM Server -> Supermicro mini server with a 6 core Xeon running Citrix XenServer and hosting my surveillance box, plex server, PBX, bunch of other stuff. 
  • Time Capsule -> self explanatory
  • Gaming and Non Gaming boxes -> self explanatory. 

Untitled Diagram.png

• 1 month later...

My junk's pretty basic, moved into a new-to-me house that didn't have any Ethernet wiring and I've been too lazy to run any :P

On 2/5/2018 at 7:25 AM, Lurick said:

Then I've got a 3504 WLC

How are you liking that WLC?  I was slightly depressed when they suddenly launched EOL/EOS notices for the 2504 I have :(

network_new_house (1).png

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Just now, beersykins said:

My junk's pretty basic, moved into a new-to-me house that didn't have any Ethernet wiring and I've been too lazy to run any :P

How are you liking that WLC?  I was slightly depressed when they suddenly launched EOL/EOS notices for the 2504 I have :(

For the most part it's been pretty nice. Not much different than the 2504 in terms of the GUI (for now, lol)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 17/08/2014 at 12:49 PM, Ssoele said:

Consumer routers can be a pain to work with, they often do stuff you don't want them to do, or vice-versa.

Normally I've found you're lucky to even get bridging support, on low-end consumer hardware at least.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:27 PM, jagdtigger said:

@McFuzz89

Pro-tip. Never use wireless cameras....

And pourque? I'd agree that you should not be using them for mission critical (i.e. actual surveillance you care about), but mine work perfectly fine for monitoring my nuggets. Both of my 960p cameras do 30 FPS during daytime and 10 at night without missing a beat.

12 minutes ago, McFuzz89 said:

And pourque? I'd agree that you should not be using them for mission critical (i.e. actual surveillance you care about), but mine work perfectly fine for monitoring my nuggets. Both of my 960p cameras do 30 FPS during daytime and 10 at night without missing a beat.

Pretty much this, its way too easy to jam them :D (didnt think you were using them for some not so important stuff :D ). Or if you unlucky like me and there is a crap ton of AP's around you running channel bonding.... (Even the 5GHz range is pretty crowded last time checked.)

• 4 weeks later...

High level overview of my home infrastructure:

network-2018.thumb.png.10014614b663421717fd7f1e21fd7fa5.png

It's pretty basic in terms of actual networking. Just a few VLANs, some routes, two IPv6 networks, two VPN tunnels and a load of firewall rules.

The unRAID box runs a virtual router that tunnels traffic over a NordVPN link (primarily used for downloading), it's way faster than trying to run OpenVPN on an (already busy) EdgeRouter.

I also have a cloud-hosted VPS for out-of-band management from other networks (that are often IPv4 only), it runs a dedicated IPSEC tunnel over IPv6 to my internal management-host.

Unfortunately my ISP doesn't provide the credentials for their VOIP platform, so I have to use their stupid all-in-one router/VOIP ATA with another ATA right after it to get a usable VOIP line. Migrating the landline to a cloud VOIP provider is on the roadmap for Q4 2018.

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

• 2 weeks later...