Being DDos'ed

PillowSmoke

Hey guys, just a question. What precautions do you guys take, to prevent being ddosed? Firewall? Vpn?

Those would really help against a DDoS attack, since it would flood the line coming from your ISP.

But, if you look at data centers, they usually use Arbor Networks DDoS protection and mitigation systems.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

B. I show them my afro in my user picture (since I don't have one in real life).

I always thought that the gif was a video of you

Dissapoint

OP, why would you get DDOS'd its not normally something that would happen to you, people dont around doing it randomly, they are targeted attacks

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Eat cheese and drink iron bru.

Sounds like a good plan ... but its Irn Bru just blame the ITC

Cry Havoc!

Hey guys, just a question. What precautions do you guys take, to prevent being ddosed? Firewall? Vpn?

I just use a proper networking firewall. For all of you who say "i don't give out my IP" as long as you use the internet that information is transmitted. Now if you were to say you broadcast a fake one through some sofware, well ok then sure that is possible.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I always thought that the gif was a video of you

Dissapoint

OP, why would you get DDOS'd its not normally something that would happen to you, people dont around doing it randomly, they are targeted attacks

It happens more often that not. If you have a firewall with a notifier for attacks you would see how many DDOSs are all over the internet.

I just use a proper networking firewall. For all of you who say "i don't give out my IP" as long as you use the internet that information is transmitted. Now if you were to say you broadcast a fake one through some sofware, well ok then sure that is possible.

If you send out a fake one you'll never receive any data back, because it will reply to that address ;)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

If you send out a fake one you'll never receive any data back, because it will reply to that address ;)

Have you ever used an IP masker? It is what square spaces uses and it is how they can make online streams like Netflix region free. I had one 6 years ago. I don't use it anymore.

Have you ever used an IP masker? It is what square spaces uses and it is how they can make online streams like Netflix region free. I had one 6 years ago. I don't use it anymore.

That's different form sending a fake address, your talking about something like a VPN.

15" MBP TB

That's different form sending a fake address, your talking about something like a VPN.

I made a mistake earlier about it being like square space, what i meant is that it is like hotspot shield and yes that is a VPN service but what i am talking about is finding servers around the world and using a certain software to use the server to get an IP address without their knowledge then the person continues to browse the interwebs. It can be considered a VPN but in reality it is accessing servers for your own use.

So you're telling me, that you don't ACTUALLY have an Afro?

Internet security, you're doing it right! Also, what was the back story to this? I'm curious...

Nope. I have short hair.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

cheese burger

Or fried chicken :P

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

And you spelt Irn Bru wrong, gg sir from the UK.

Stuff tastes fucking awful anyway. I can't stand the smell. Fuck, when someone drinks it and talks right in your face, I want to kill them. :P

I made a mistake earlier about it being like square space, what i meant is that it is like hotspot shield and yes that is a VPN service but what i am talking about is finding servers around the world and using a certain software to use the server to get an IP address without their knowledge then the person continues to browse the interwebs. It can be considered a VPN but in reality it is accessing servers for your own use.

It's still called a VPN, or a tunnel.

15" MBP TB

I once put my ip on 4chan 

How did that go lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Did Skype fix the IP exploit yet?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

dynamic ip, and not giving it away :P

Every 60 seconds in Africa...

A minute passes.

Using a VPN will only hide your true IP address but it won't actually stop anyone from DDoS'ing you if they already know your internet-facing IP.

Also, nobody is going to DDoS you. Script-kiddies might try and DoS you after you infuriate them in a game of LoL or whatever, naturally using their own machine and IP, making it nice and easy for law enforcement.

Real DDoS is reserved for larger entities/sites/services with well known, static IPs.

A hardware firewall might help. If you got a computer standing around, get Sophos UTM Home edition (it's free) and set it up as your router. It's got ddos protection integrated (to a certain degree ofc since brute force will always win vs everything...

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

I am pissing alot of ppl off, some of the forum members knows that. Then they lure me up on their TS3 server and they says: HA we got your IP, prepare for ddos.

Then I turn on and Off my router.

problem solved..

You know your ISP controls whether your public IP address is dynamic or static.  If they have set it to static then rebooting your router/modem won't change it.  You should probably find out.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud