Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel
5 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

It feels wrong to miss out on more important stuff for a lesser anime. I mean, despite my attitude I can definitely appreciate lesser anime too, but if you're going to miss out on homework or something, then at least do it with something that might justify the wasted time.

I see what you are saying, However just because you didn't like Shana as much doesn't mean it is a "lesser" anime. Shakugan no Shana is on my top 5 favorite Anime list. But everyone's list a different.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

12 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

Season 3 was my favorite. It was an all put war. So i don't know if you're being sarcastic or not.

However just because you didn't like Shana as much doesn't mean it is a "lesser" anime.

Yes, I'm being partly sarcastic, but... well, I don't really like shattering sweet delusions, so I'll just hope that you still feel that way after watching a lot of anime. We all have our sentimental favorites that we'd like to believe are better than they really are, after all.

2 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

I don't really like shattering sweet delusions, so I'll just hope that you still feel that way after watching a lot of anime. We all have our sentimental favorites that we'd like to believe are better than they really are, after all.

Why can't you understand that not everyone likes the same Anime? I have watched alot of anime and still feel the same way. So I don;t see where you're getting at.

it honestly just seems to me that which ever anime you don't like you feel that anyone who does like them are just plane dumb or wrong. if that's the case then i feel bad for you.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

42 minutes ago, DudeWazap said:

Why can't you understand that not everyone likes the same Anime? I have watched alot of anime and still feel the same way. So I don;t see where you're getting at.

it honestly just seems to me that which ever anime you don't like you feel that anyone who does like them are just plane dumb or wrong. if that's the case then i feel bad for you.

Thing is, I wasn't talking about your personal enjoyment of the anime, but just its critical merit (that's kind of my thing around here, I'm a critical bastard). From that perspective it's quite clearly a lesser anime (and it has a LOT of company in that regard). That's all. No one is saying you're not allowed to enjoy it, or that it has to be critically good to be a favorite of yours. We all have our sentimental favorites, and critically great things we don't enjoy. But life's too short to take anime so seriously that you can't even joke about them.

28 minutes ago, BashZeStampeedo said:

Thing is, I wasn't talking about your personal enjoyment of the anime, but just its critical merit (that's kind of my thing around here, I'm a critical bastard). From that perspective it's quite clearly a lesser anime (and it has a LOT of company in that regard). That's all. No one is saying you're not allowed to enjoy it, or that it has to be critically good to be a favorite of yours. We all have our sentimental favorites, and critically great things we don't enjoy. But life's too short to take anime so seriously that you can't even joke about them.

It really helps keeping those things separate when you accept that every ones tastes are shit. There are a good number of anime I love that I am more than willing to admit really are not that good.

30 minutes ago, Charger said:

It really helps keeping those things separate when you accept that every ones tastes are shit. There are a good number of anime I love that I am more than willing to admit really are not that good.

It's just a question of being able to accept some criticism and jokes at the expense of things you like, I think. If you can enjoy cheesy cartoons (be they Japanese or not), then that shouldn't be a problem ;)

In the last 2 days I got excited for a manga pod cast and than disappointed that it didn't happen. Yesterday I found out that mangapod, a podcast I watch, had mysterious girlfriend x as last weeks pod cast so I started looking for the vod of it and today I found out it just didn't happen so there is no vod to watch :(

Is it odd that I watch a podcast about manga but really dont read much manga lol

I got an error...

um____by_dragon_tamer_10-d9yusv2.png

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Is this some sort of famous song? I feel like I've heard it before.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

8 hours ago, ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen said:

Is this some sort of famous song? I feel like I've heard it before.

I've seen non non biyori and I do not recall hearing it. Not even talking about hearing it somewhere else.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

ab3.gif

ahahah xD

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

5 hours ago, JuztBe said:

I've seen non non biyori and I do not recall hearing it. Not even talking about hearing it somewhere else.

It's non non biyori repeat if you haven't seen that.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Just now, ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen said:

It's non non biyori repeat if you haven't seen that.

Seen it.. twice :D
It's not something that stuck in my mind.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

More manga this time (mostly), including reading on a couple of new ongoing series... seems I can't find much time to devote to anime or TV stuff lately, just bedtime-reading. Oh well, that goes with doing typesetting and editing for the new Spice and Wolf 10th anniversary stuff. Plus it's not like the anime I've watched have been all that amazing lately.

Aria the Avvenire (2). so-so.
The overall idea of this episode is a great one, but the execution was sloppy and it lacked that "Aria" charm and ambiguity. Akari especially felt like she didn't need that last encounter, and the way they handled it was pretty lazy. Whereas before Cait Sith felt like part of Akari, here they made it impossible to see it that way. If Akari had been presented as clinging to her childhood in this episode, and then symbolically taking a step into adulthood, without it involving other characters in any unsubtle way, then it would have been exactly what I wanted. The right elements were there, but the details and execution made it feel more like an amateurish fanfiction take on the material. Plus the new girls are Aika and Alice clones, and even Ai has no personality yet beyond "wants to be Akari". That's lame. Alice is also still in highschool for some reason... odd, given that Ai has aged so much between series. Overall a disappointing episode that failed to conjure up the magic, and landed with more of a thud than anything.

Flying Witch (1). decent.
This is another kinda odd one. It's mostly another of those pleasant-yet-mundane slice of life series, and has all the elements of something as soothing and vaguely-fascinating as Aria, but it also has its moments where it's just plain weird. And no, I don't mean "fun weird", i mean it feels like they aren't conveying what they intend to convey. I don't get the impression that the witch is "mysterious" more than just an aloof fish out of water. I don't get the feeling that the little girl is clever enough to make that joke about mistaking her cousin for her mom. I have no freakin' clue what I was supposed to feel at the mandrake scene. And yet, it's mostly just a harmless fluffy slice of life otherwise, so at the very least it might prove to be a decent sleep-aide. I'm willing to give it a couple episodes to find out if it has anything more to it.

My Hero Academia (2). decent.
This was a pretty decent execution of the themes in the episode, though too crybabyish and angsty in places to really hit the ball out of the park. Thankfully they're managing to give this just enough nuance to make it fun, rather than an exercise in obnoxious stuff. It's unfortunate that Midoriya won't be given the chance to be a hero without a superpower in the story, but at least the anime seems to want to pull what little character he has out to show that he's not just a self-sacrificing nitwit by nature, but rather by virtue of his determination to be better than he is (due to the odds being stacked against him). Not sure if the story will deal with it in that regard, but the anime seems to want to bring that aspect of him out to the forefront. That's about all it can do to elevate the otherwise basic story of the manga from simply being decent wish-fulfillment stuff to actually exploring its themes to some degree.

Girl Meets Bear (2). decent.
Much like Flying Witch, there wasn't much to this episode, but I found the humor worked more smoothly here. I still wonder why a guy had a girl's bike, but maybe that's just an animation error or something. What was weirder was that he had a sofa-chair just to set up a lame joke at the end of the episode. But anyway, I like how they played around with the "hardships" Machi had to face, making it range from dim-wittedness to embarrassment to actually kinda scary moments.

Tomo-chan's a Girl! manga (c295-301). decent.
Basic Tomo-chan stuff that came and went as quickly as usual (though the "It spoke" joke was a fun one).

Seitokai Yakuindomo manga (c370-371). so-so.
Basic SyD stuff that came and went as quickly as usual (though nothing particularly tickled my funny-bone here).

Mushoku Tensei manga (c21). mediocre.
A pointless hot springs scene, Eris fawning over clothes made for her by Rudeus, Rudeus thinking about copping a feel, and the "god" character being a douche... yeah, this chapter was oh-so-necessary. The only real outcome of this chapter that feels like it will amount to anything is in randomly getting Rudeus to pick the next quest they'll go on, and then to give Rudeus a completely random "bad end" vision. Why not just start from there instead and have Rudeus pick the quest at random? Same outcome, less of my time wasted on nothing.

My Hero Academia (c86). good.
Not bad. They're playing up what a disorganized mess this situation is, though they're relying a bit too much on Bakugou's "pride" as a plot device. It works, but it's a shame that he seems to be incapable of actual character growth. Maybe by the end of this arc? Well, if we're fortunate then something interesting will happen soon, instead of just another big chaotic fight. I don't think it'll happen, but then I didn't expect them to aim even this high with this chapter, so it all depends on what their goal is here. They have a chance to build some serious plot momentum here, rather than just blowing their wad again like they always seem to do. Oh, who am I kidding? This is a Jump series; they rarely go 4 chapters without some explosions or ADD-riddled plot manipulation.

Yumekuri manga (c1-33). decent.
I'm obviously not usually one to like harem wish-fulfillment stuff, and indeed this one starts off on the shaky side; choppy and unclear about its motivations. However, the flimsy "Ah! My Goddess" aspect and moments of iffy fanservice aren't enough to topple it entirely. There is a solid makeshift-family slice of life story developing here in spite of those lesser elements that's slowly growing on me, and there is some potential that they'll even be able to wrangle a solid little "romantic" story out of the rest. In other words, it has lamer cliched elements, but they only sometimes rear their heads for a bit before the story continues on. It's a "take it or leave it" affair, and over time I've found myself teetering more on the "take it" side of the fence. My biggest problem with it is actually that it doesn't flow so well that I can always tell exactly what's going on or where I am in the story. But it's a light enough read that it hasn't been a deal-breaker yet. So not for everyone, but as far as these support harem things go, it's pretty decent.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari (c1-22). decent.
This one's right up there with Mushoku Tensei for this kind of premise. It's a touch sillier, with 80's cartoon style villainy, but still manages to make it's darker stuff blend with that. There are worrying moments as to whether it's going to ruin itself by getting too stupid or lame, but so far it's kept walking the fine line well. No annoying fanservice, edgy drama that's actually handled fairly well, and an MC who's actually a fucking character and not just a walking trope factory. Heck, he doesn't even consider the younger girls he travels with as potential future romantic conquests. The biggest problems have to do with a general lack of compelling plot, relying instead on the cheesy drama and comedy to keep you reading. And yet, I didn't mind that once I got past the initial concentrated dose of angst. Once in a while a dumb story like this is fine, and this one's at least putting some effort into being fun, even on its limited level.

On 11/4/2016 at 11:37 PM, Typho said:

Anyone else watching  Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu? 

I am, it's pretty interesting so far and no stupid censorship has been spotted.

I'm going to continue watching it since I heard the light novels are pretty good.

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

Sumo is awesome. :3

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

corpse party is coming to pc on the 26th of this month. 

holy crap this has been a fantastic April. 

Got my literal dream job at a games company

Got commended by multiple professional race drivers 

But most importantly ive finally got my parents to accept that I listen to japanese music and nothing they can say will stop me. 

Also realised Ram dimms are pretty decent darts well they dont stick but you can tell were they land due to the bloody large mark they leave on the board. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

5 hours ago, Belgarionbg said:

Sumo is awesome. :3

It is the Japanese exclusive sport lol.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

57 minutes ago, brownninja97 said:

corpse party is coming to pc on the 26th of this month. 

holy crap this has been a fantastic April. 

Got my literal dream job at a games company

Got commended by multiple professional race drivers 

But most importantly ive finally got my parents to accept that I listen to japanese music and nothing they can say will stop me. 

Also realised Ram dimms are pretty decent darts well they dont stick but you can tell were they land due to the bloody large mark they leave on the board. 

that's nice. sadly for me i'm too much of a deadbeat to get anything good. have fun though

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Netflix just added Cyborg 009 vs Devilman.  They rate it TV-14.  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

why is that not good? 

Gotta keep that anime/manga hobby going...

Usakame (1). decent.
I can't say this worked for me any differently than Teekyuu, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It was honestly just a slightly mellower (and longer) Teekyuu episode, and it felt a bit choppier in terms of delivery, since it didn't have the excuse of just cramming everything into 2 minutes. The ED was really unexpected; that much is for sure.

Space Patrol Luluco (2). so-so.
This didn't really do it for me, as it was pretty middle-of-the-road "young romance" fare with not that much comedy or insight into anything about the show beyond introducing a pretty typical character archetype.

Rinne S2 (1). so-so.
It's nice to see this series back again, even if I'll be one of a dozen people who probably care about it at all, world-wide. More simple deadpan humor will be a nice treat given how rare it is these days in anime. This wasn't one of the better episodes, but as far as introducing Oboro goes, it was alright. Hopefully things will pick up as they introduce more of the extended cast. I really hope they introduce them more quickly this time around, and then use them to better effect.

Actually, I'm... manga (c120). decent.
There were some amusing gags in this one, though it didn't really go anywhere and I'm still doubtful of this subplot about Shiho.

Seitokai Yakuindomo manga (c372-373). good.
There were some decent bits this time that played off a bit better than usual, between that "the president's gone mad" gag and them getting good mileage out of the "misunderstandings" with Aria.

Kaguya Wants to be Confessed to manga (c11-14). great.
Ah, this manga's finally back, and it's still as fun as I remember it. I like stories about idiots who are hoist by their own petard, and this manga really picked the perfect premise for that formula to work if you like it. These chapters were funny in spite of me seeing the final punchlines coming, since they give their characters just the right personalities that you can enjoy their reactions to every "challenge" in the rest of the chapter. It's right there with Jitsu wa Watashi wa in terms of comedy style for me, and these four chapters show that they still have enough ideas to cycle through to keep it fun for a while longer.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san manga (c21-28). good.
Thankfully, these chapters didn't get as close to breaking the spell as the last one, though there are moments where I wonder what ages the characters are really supposed to be. One way or the other, it's still adorable in that overly-engineered way, and it's steadily showing more tiny signs that they might eventually get to a conclusion. Of course I doubt it, but the possibility is there.

Helck (c1-66). decent.
This manga surprised me by actually having a fine sense of true comedy. I laughed fairly regularly (Hello!), and appreciated the story's desire to keep the tone lighter despite featuring the usual dark-and-edgy stuff that modern fantasy manga are addicted to. Charming characters, fun punchlines, and a sense of high adventure even while building up to some impending war... and then they jumped the shark in the "Helck's Past" arc. Now it's just another half-decent war manga for teens that could have told its story a lot more methodically without a sudden sharp turn into pointlessly-edgy melodrama. Still, it did make me kinda care about the characters during its earlier phase, so I'm willing to see where it goes. It's just a shame they didn't pace that stuff properly and reveal the backstory without the sudden gear-shift. Levity is now an omake-only zone, and the action is mostly of the asspull "this isn't my final form" style of writing, with surprisingly weak villains and a penchant for revelatory chats during battles. It makes me miss the earlier stuff.

10 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

@BashZeStampeedo

How do you feel about a Devilman crossover being rated TV-14?

To be honest, I'm already underwhelmed by the idea of a Devilman/Cyborg-009 crossover, regardless of the rating. I think TV-14 might be doable (though it won't help me feel any less underwhelmed).

10 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

Yeah, never. It's not important to begin with. 

Well we got up to 73 weekly threads so I think it is clear that we do view it as a bit important and a little over double that if you want to count all of our threads. It will come back just not sure when.

I think @MyInnerFred was talking about another anime club giveaway at some point not sure if that is still going to be a thing or not.