Lenovo stop selling things in germany for now

rockaut

Summary

According to a new article Lenovo is stopping sales in germany because of a patent dispute with nokia over h.264 video codecs. As it seams they haven't bought/payed their codec licenses.

Quotes

Keine Desktop-PCs, Notebooks, Tablets und Smartphones mehr von Lenovo in Deutschland: Lenovo fehlen Lizenzen zur Nutzung des Video-Codecs H.264.

No desktop-pcs, laptops, tablets and smartphones from lenovo in germany: lenovo is missing licences for usage of h.264 video codecs.

My thoughts

That sounds might be pretty bad for them 😲. But if they really just "forgot" to pay fees ... I mean they are a multi-billion world-wide selling corporate, whoever done bad is screwed I guess.

Sources

https://www.heise.de/news/Patentstreit-mit-Nokia-Lenovo-stoppt-Verkauf-in-Deutschland-4935904.html

Motorola phone prices to skyrocket in 1... 2... 3...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Good thing i got the thinkpad for my girlfriend a few weeks back.... They were already short in supply cause amd made too good of a processor

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Interesting, this must be why Fedora doesn't ship H.264 out of the box even though Cisco has a open-source implementation. https://www.openh264.org/ Which upon reading the FAQ says they are not responsible for patent holders, but covers royalties.

I think patents like these should die out, it's quite literally the definition of a software monopoly. I however am not that familiar with patents to really comment however.

1 hour ago, rockaut said:

That sounds might be pretty bad for them 😲. But if they really just "forgot" to pay fees ... I mean they are a multi-billion world-wide selling corporate, whoever done bad is screwed I guess.

From what I gather, they didn't forget, they just didn't want to cooperate. https://www.brandingirononline.info/gadget/3352/nokia-tried-to-implement-a-directive-against-lenovo-seeks-to-block-lenovo-sales-over-patent-licensing/ With Lenovos push towards the open-source community, I wonder whats really going on.

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

I think patents like these should die out, it's quite literally the definition of a software monopoly. I however am not that familiar with patents to really comment however

Well tbf they could just make a similar compatible code and call it hL.363, but that would cost money, something they're obviously not willing to do since leeching off the work of others is so much cheaper! 

3 hours ago, rockaut said:

That sounds might be pretty bad for them

My thoughts are the opposite, they must be really well off if they can afford to lose a huge market just like that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Germany is EU, so while they might not be specifically on sale in Germany might they still be purchased from France or wherever?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

I think patents like these should die out, it's quite literally the definition of a software monopoly. I however am not that familiar with patents to really comment however.

All patents are monopolies, by definition. Patents and copyright are monopolies granted by law to whoever successfully files a patent / copyright at the respective office. The expiry date of a patent or copyright is the day the legal monopoly ends.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Germany is EU, so while they might not be specifically on sale in Germany might they still be purchased from France or wherever?

If I remember correctly, France does not acknowledge software patents. Which is why VLC has support for a significant amount of proprietary codecs - because VideoLan is based in France.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What were they using h.264 for? And why not just remove it for German models?

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

@Bombastinator

Yes the EU has banned geoblocking ( example if you visit Amazon.fr and you live in Germany, they can’t force you to use Amazon.de )

the models are all still available at German retailers just not directly from Lenovo 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

2 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

Yes the EU has banned geoblocking ( example if you visit Amazon.fr and you live in Germany, they can’t force you to use Amazon.de )

Yep, I use the .de site sometimes from the UK, as they have different inventories.

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

yes

9 hours ago, ausham said:

What were they using h.264 for? And why not just remove it for German models?

It’s used for media encoding.

the encoders are built into the processors ( only those with graphics cards ) or graphics cards so they can’t simply remove it. Lenovo sells only computers with integrated or dedicated gpu. 

The owner of the paten often doesn’t charge the chipmakers ( intel Nvidia amd and Qualcomm)  but rather the OEMs ( Lenovo and others ) who are using the chips

why? 

Probably because they can easier set the OEMs under pressure than the chipmakers because they could just make  a new standard. The OEMs mainly rely on devices with chips that have the Encoder and have therefore almost no choice.

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

It’s used for media encoding.

the encoders are built into the processors ( only those with graphics cards ) or graphics cards so they can’t simply remove it. Lenovo sells only computers with integrated or dedicated gpu. 

The owner of the paten often doesn’t charge the chipmakers ( intel Nvidia amd and Qualcomm)  but rather the OEMs ( Lenovo and others ) who are using the chips

why? 

Probably because they can easier set the OEMs under pressure than the chipmakers because they could just make  a new standard. The OEMs mainly rely on devices with chips that have the Encoder and have therefore almost no choice.

So its like like they installed the codec in a media player? but the hardware suports it they are going after them?  the fudged up. I would not pay the fee ether.