1080 is dying, 3080 or 3080TI?

HerstalP90

Hello everyone, as the title says, my current GPU is dying. Artifacting, temps sometimes up to 98 degrees celcius. (Lowering graphics etc doesn't do anything to fix this)
And just a bunch of other issues. 
I have a 1440P 144hz monitor. And an i5 8600K overclocked to 5GHZ. I know i can expect some bottlenecking with my CPU. But i don't have the money to next to a new GPU also get a motherboard and CPU upgrade. 
Got a 1200W PSU platinum rated. So i'm not worried about that part. 

I have an "ASUS RTX 3080 ROG-STRIX" on pre-order. According to the lady i had on the phone i'm near the top of the list so i can expect it in october according to her. 
I'm wondering if i should cancel it and wait for the 3080TI

Want to know what you all think about this. Because a lot of people seem to think the 10GB isn't enough. I want to play FPS games at high graphics at high framerates. But also want to max out games like The Witcher, Cyberpunk 2077, RDR2 etc. 
Hope you all can help me make a decision, thank you. 

3 minutes ago, HerstalP90 said:

Hello everyone, as the title says, my current GPU is dying. Artifacting, temps sometimes up to 98 degrees celcius. (Lowering graphics etc doesn't do anything to fix this)

replace thermal past 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

no 3080 is enough you dont have to wait fot 3080 ti

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Personally I'm waiting to see if they drop a 3080ti/Super card before I pick one up. Who knows though it could be close to a year before we get one and the price point they offer it at may not be worth it. I almost picked up a 3090 this morning but the 10% performance gain over the 3080 for double the price is a no go. If a ti/super model doesn't drop before Cyberpunk comes out I may just grab a 3080 and sell it when the ti/super model drops if it's worth it. It's more or less a waiting game, if you can't wait for a ti/super model to drop just keep your preorder.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I'm doing the exact same thing, but if my current gpu was acting kinda shitty I wouldn't be against a 3080 now 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

I'm doing the exact same thing, but if my current gpu was acting kinda shitty I wouldn't be against a 3080 now 

Exactly. It all depends on if OP wants to wait or not. If their GPU is going out might as well just keep the pre-order for the 3080.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

also in the boat of "lets wait wheeee" although if my current placeholder card died i'd just get another placeholder card. the 3080 should be perfectly fine and people who dont know how vram works think 10gb isnt enough. i kinda fall into that boat lmao, cause i want this gpu to last a long time, hoping i end up with a 1080ti 2.0 in terms of longevity. we'll see what amd drops in a month and that should dictate what nvidia has in store.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

23 minutes ago, mahyar said:

replace thermal paste

27 minutes ago, HerstalP90 said:

Artifacting, temps sometimes up to 98 degrees celcius.

This will play a huge factor in the issues you are having....replacing the thermal paste on presuming you got this card when Pascal came out in 2016, is a real good idea since thermal paste dries out and loses its thermal conductivity, which explains the high temperatures you are encountering. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

25 minutes ago, mahyar said:

replace thermal past 

I've already done that a few weeks back, it helped slightly for a bit. And then it went back to just space heater temps.

21 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Personally I'm waiting to see if they drop a 3080ti/Super card before I pick one up. Who knows though it could be close to a year before we get one and the price point they offer it at may not be worth it. I almost picked up a 3090 this morning but the 10% performance gain over the 3080 for double the price is a no go. If a ti/super model doesn't drop before Cyberpunk comes out I may just grab a 3080 and sell it when the ti/super model drops if it's worth it. It's more or less a waiting game, if you can't wait for a ti/super model to drop just keep your preorder.

19 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I really want to wait, since i know how 2080 owners felt when the "super" versions came out. But since the 3090 seems to on average have between a 10-20% increase. I'm guessing the 3080ti will be 10% at max. Otherwise the 3090 would be obsolete if the TI version of the 3080 can get really close to a 3090. So if i can get a good OC going, i can probably get close to 3080TI specs with the 3080 STRIX. But we obviously don't know that yet. 

The games i like the most are competative FPS games. So the only reason i don't have a 4k screen is because high refresh rate, low latency 4K monitors are either not here yet. Or the ones that are, are incredibly expensive. 

I will also be getting a new PC case since the airflow in this one is bad. So i'm probably going for a "PHANTEKS Eclipse P500A" because airflow numbers etc seem very good. 
I'm pretty bad at building my pc, cables wise. And also i don't really know what to do with the fans. But hey i'll figure that out when i get to that point.

1 hour ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Exactly. It all depends on if OP wants to wait or not. If their GPU is going out might as well just keep the pre-order for the 3080.

Yea thats what i'm thinking. I'm worried about the memory tho. (only because other people keep bringing it up and making a huge deal out if it. I myself don't know tbh.)

If you're willing to wait then more power to you. I'd also like to wait but want a GPU now and I think a 3080 is fine for my 3440x1440p 100hz monitor. Sure there's going to be a 'super' model and Ti model out later but that'll be like 6-12 months away.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

14 minutes ago, HerstalP90 said:

Yea thats what i'm thinking. I'm worried about the memory tho. (only because other people keep bringing it up and making a huge deal out if it. I myself don't know tbh.)

If you're getting it for retail price don't worry, if you're paying a mark up or over retail I would wait.

2 hours ago, HerstalP90 said:

I have an "ASUS RTX 3080 ROG-STRIX" on pre-order. According to the lady i had on the phone i'm near the top of the list so i can expect it in october according to her. 
I'm wondering if i should cancel it and wait for the 3080TI

Dude if you have a 3080 on the way you should be celebrating. How long are you willing to wait without having a working system? If there are any faster cards coming they won't be out until well into next year. Don't get caught in the waiting game otherwise why not wait for the 4080....

2 hours ago, HerstalP90 said:

I really want to wait, since i know how 2080 owners felt when the "super" versions came out. But since the 3090 seems to on average have between a 10-20% increase. I'm guessing the 3080ti will be 10% at max. Otherwise the 3090 would be obsolete if the TI version of the 3080 can get really close to a 3090. So if i can get a good OC going, i can probably get close to 3080TI specs with the 3080 STRIX. But we obviously don't know that yet. 

The games i like the most are competative FPS games. So the only reason i don't have a 4k screen is because high refresh rate, low latency 4K monitors are either not here yet. Or the ones that are, are incredibly expensive. 

Indeed, this generation seems to be different, I don't expect Nvidia to shoot their 3090 in the back with a beefy 3080TI

I expect a 3080TI to be little more than a VRAM improvement at this point.

Honestly we don't know when it's coming it, nor how it will perform, I'd say go for the 3080