Somebody watercooled a PS3 and it looks like something linus would do

WillOfTheLand

Why would anyone do that? It's not like this thing is a powerhouse...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

giphy.gif

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

8 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The early models actually ran quite hot. You know

PS3 Grill - Hacked Gadgets – DIY Tech Blog

42 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

It was tho. Over a decade ago but still.

51 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

So you say that, but PS3 emulation is still INCREDIBLY HARD even to this day because of the power that thing had. (720p, 30fps avg on an i7 x RTX 2080 system) 

PS3s actually ran on a Cell Microprocessor, that to this day is still slated to have the power of roughly two current gen i7s. (depending on math type)

Not to mention that first release PS3's (silver band) had physical Ps2 hardware internally for backwards compatibility. So those first Gen PS3s actually had Linux distros that were better at farm processing then many supercomputers. :P https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

4 hours ago, BrinkGG said:

So you say that, but PS3 emulation is still INCREDIBLY HARD even to this day because of the power that thing had. (720p, 30fps avg on an i7 x RTX 2080 system) 

PS3s actually ran on a Cell Microprocessor, that to this day is still slated to have the power of roughly two current gen i7s. (depending on math type)

Not to mention that first release PS3's (silver band) had physical Ps2 hardware internally for backwards compatibility. So those first Gen PS3s actually had Linux distros that were better at farm processing then many supercomputers. :P https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html 

For what it's worth, RPCS3 is actually competent! Least for a PS3 emulator, it is. Honestly think it's already a better emulator than PCSX2 is.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 hours ago, BrinkGG said:

Emulating is extremely taxing. This can't be compared to a normal pc's performance.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Emulating is extremely taxing. This can't be compared to a normal pc's performance.

It can however. The first ps3 was used to build supercomputers out off. It was just insanely faster than anything else available at the time in certain tasks.

21 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

For what it's worth, RPCS3 is actually competent! Least for a PS3 emulator, it is. Honestly think it's already a better emulator than PCSX2 is.

Depending on the game, yes... kind of. Roughly 60% of games are under the "playable" category, and many of them run at 720p, 30fps by default (the rated PS3 resolution and framerate), and most systems (even my 8700k OC and GTX 1080 OC) struggle to match that framerate in games like The last of Us. (though recent patches are making it better)

RPCS3 is nice for my old disks now that I don't own a PS3 anymore. :) 

18 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Technically, it can, but based on types of math and how well they can do each. 

When you think about the fact that a top of the line system when the PS3 launched was a Core2 Extreme x6850 and a GeForce 8800 Ultra, (an i3 4000 series + GTX 950 beats these), the emulation shouldn't be that high load imo... Hopefully FPGAs like the MiSTer bring more powerful console "emulation" soon. (I realize FPGAs are different from current emulation.) 

I also want to point out that my estimation of two modern i7s to the processing power of the PS3's Cell processor was too high a number. I thought I remembered hearing someone tell me that, but I can't find a source. Based on just FP32 it is beaten by modern CPUs, but based on workload, that Cell processor is apparently very powerful still. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.