Baby's first desktop build. (Gaming oriented)

Kjhendir

Budget (including currency): 1500-2000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Modded Minecraft, The Witcher III, Modded Skyrim, PSX/2 Emulation, GC/Wii Emulation (i have the games but all the consoles [except PS1] are dead), Path Of Exile, Mabinogi at 1080p or even 2K if it's possible

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): NewEgg build

I plan to use 2 monitors because i'd like to stream in the future (2021/Q3+) and also for looking at other things while i play in more grindy games (like MMOs)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x GHz 8-core Processor
CPU cooler: Default AMD Wraith Prism LED RGB Cooler Fan
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max AM4 AMD SATA 6Gb/s ATX
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8 GB) DDR4 3200
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7200 RPM 64MG cache HDD + Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Internal SSD.
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super Windforce
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Black ATX Mid Tower.
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PSU: Seasonic EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 80+Gold Fully Modular
UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD

I'm not into RGB because it mostly distracts me, I BELIEVE there's no incompatibility, also i'm kind of afraid of OC so, if i can benefit from a lesser CPU or i can find a good solution of OC without much (or any at all preferably) instability, it'd be great if you'd teach me of the ways of the smart builder. In the build i tried to choose items with 4+ rating and with the largest amount of ratings while being comfortable in my budget, i plan to bulild this thing late 2020 or early 2021 (max Feb) Thanks for the responses.

3 minutes ago, Kjhendir said:

U Emulation

This is bairly a thing., it will be a bit.

do you need the monitors too, ot just the pc?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

id probably get a 3070 when it comes out(if you can) if you plan to build this late 2020 or 21, if your using a 3rd gen ryzen, while ya do have to, ya might as well get a b550 or a x570 board. while the stock cooler will serve you well, if any oc is involved, id recommend a aftermarket cooler or an aio, also, for the love of all that is holy, if at all possible, stay away from spinning storage.  other than that everything seems compatable, though your board may or may not need a bios update when you get it.

I would get a 4700x or 4800x depending on what you can afford when ryzen 4000 comes out. 

Emulators can be very memory hungry, so I did 32gb of ram. I got a better CPU, a better GPU, and a bit less storage.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4th gen Ryzen is announced October 8th, I'd wait until then (also good luck getting any 3000 series cards before october anyway)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Well forget the Wii U emulation, the only game i'd like to emulate from there is MH3U anyways and i have it on 3DS (although higher res would be better), Also i have no monitors but i could do with 1 until the next month or two after building the thing... guess i'll wait until 2021 for the R4 and Nv3080, i just hope i'm able to afford all that after all, i'd be even willing to go to 2500 if there's a BIG increase in performance... but if the margin is less than 10% then i'd rather not suprass the 2k. Thanks @HelpfulTechWizard , Also is that for default use or for OC? is Water cooling NEEDED for OC?

@RadiatingLight Yeah, that's why i went with a 2070 Super, all those 30X cards were sold before the hour hahaha

4 minutes ago, Kjhendir said:

Well forget the Wii U emulation, the only game i'd like to emulate from there is MH3U anyways and i have it on 3DS (although higher res would be better), Also i have no monitors but i could do with 1 until the next month or two after building the thing... guess i'll wait until 2021 for the R4 and Nv3080, i just hope i'm able to afford all that after all, i'd be even willing to go to 2500 if there's a BIG increase in performance... but if the margin is less than 10% then i'd rather not suprass the 2k. Thanks @HelpfulTechWizard

@RadiatingLight Yeah, that's why i went with a 2070 Super, all those 30X cards were sold before the hour hahaha

There is Wii u emulation I'm not used to it since I have the actual thing, don't know how stable cemu is but iirc it is a real Wii u emulator not sure if it works good / at all

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

15 minutes ago, Kjhendir said:

Well forget the Wii U emulation, the only game i'd like to emulate from there is MH3U anyways and i have it on

R4000 will be out by november, and will not have the same shortages as gpus. 3080 will be more prevalant by jan/feb 2020, is history is anything to go by. for 2500$ you could have a bunch more storage, and better cooling. No, watercooling is not "required" for OCing. A good air cooler, like the dark rock pro 4 would be fine. I also tried to make it as anti rgb as possible.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Kanna said:

There is Wii u emulation I'm not used to it since I have the actual thing, don't know how stable cemu is but iirc it is a real Wii u emulator not sure if it works good / at all

Yeah, i tried Cemu on my Laptop Dell G3 17, and boy i can't get past the first textbox on the hunting area hahaha, it just hangs. and as no one's emulating i couldn't get any real helpl troubleshooting, but MK8, Smash4, other staples are very stable and running fine for most people, although i don't really care for them.

8 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Ive heard it woorks fine

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Citra is a "Highly experimental" wii u emulator. R4000 will be out by november, and will not have the same shortages as gpus. 3080 will be more prevalant by jan/feb 2020, is history is anything to go by. for 2500$ you could have a bunch more storage, and better cooling. No, watercooling is not "required" for OCing. A good air cooler, like the dark rock pro 4 would be fine. I also tried to make it as anti rgb as possible.

Ah ok, then i won't try OC until i can aford the next thing in a couple years because waranty violation and stuff, also storage is ok as that because my LT has a 1Tb HDD and i haven't filled it up yet... although i'm uninstalling and reinstalling games constantly to have a 250+ Gb of wiggle room for whatever may arise.

8 minutes ago, Kjhendir said:

Ah ok, then i won't try OC until i can aford the next thing in a couple years because waranty violation and stuff

I gave a list that had the better cooler. AMD does not void your waranty (unlike intel) if you OC your RAM.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Citra is a "Highly experimental" wii u emulator. R4000 will be out by november, and will not have the same shortages as gpus. 3080 will be more prevalant by jan/feb 2020, is history is anything to go by. for 2500$ you could have a bunch more storage, and better cooling. No, watercooling is not "required" for OCing. A good air cooler, like the dark rock pro 4 would be fine. I also tried to make it as anti rgb as possible.

Citra that's a 3ds emulator iirc

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Citra that's a 3ds emulator iirc

Ah, yeah. My bad.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just go with something like this?

You can of course change the case, and add a Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler for overclocking

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $114.99 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $219.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $96.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $109.98 @ Newegg
Custom Ryzen 4700X (Estimated Pricing) $329.00
Custom RTX 3080 $750.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1760.94
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-18 01:53 EDT-0400  

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I gave a list that had the better cooler. AMD does not void your waranty (unlike intel) if you OC.

Incorrect. Overclocking voids warranty on both Intel and AMD. (However, neither can really check if you overclocked, so it doesn't matter all that much)

The difference is that Intel voids warranty for XMP, while AMD doesn't.

Desktop:

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Just go with something like this?

You can of course change the case, and add a Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler for overclocking

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ B&H
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $114.99 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $219.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $96.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $109.98 @ Newegg
Custom Ryzen 4700X (Estimated Pricing) $329.00
Custom RTX 3080 $750.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $1760.94
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-18 01:53 EDT-0400  

Also looks good, any keyboards and mice you reccomend? As i stated earlier i don't care for RGB but a backlit keyboard will save my ass when i'm crunching overnight work. We'll have to see what's up with the new bois when they arrive.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Incorrect. Overclocking voids warranty on both Intel and AMD

Thats what i meant. I meant "if you OC ram"

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Thats what i meant. I meant "if you OC ram"

Does that have a tangible effect? like take a game/thing from 60 FPS to 80+ or make video rendering take at least 20% less time? (Light video edit, nothing crazy that needs 200+Gb of memory)

2 minutes ago, Kjhendir said:

Does that have a tangible effect? like take a game/thing from 60 FPS to 80+ or make video rendering take at least 20% less time? (Light video edit, nothing crazy that needs 200+Gb of memory)

Absolutely has a tangible effect, especially on Ryzen.

We don't know how Ryzen 4000 will behave, but on Ryzen 3000 (Zen 2) going from stock 2133Mhz to 3600Mhz could easily lead to a 20% performance uplift in FPS.

This is because the interconnects within the Ryzen CPU are directly linked to memory speed. If you increase memory speed by 30%, those interconnects (Infinity fabric or FCLK in BIOS) get faster too. So even if your app isn't memory-heavy, the CPU itself gets better.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Ah ok, so that could be like a "Light" alternative to CPU OC? then i'll try it, i'll have to read a lot on that before though hahaha, i'll look into that and compare both builds that have been posted here, also isn't haveing an SSD for games and OS and a HDD for the rest a basic norm? because it looks like the price for 1 TB vs 2 TB SSD is not that worthy comparing to the 50 USD i can spend to get a 2 TB HDD for stuff and regular storage and the other 50 USD to buy a nice meal.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:
-snip-

Crucial P1 in a $2000 build, that'll also sound like a jet engine because of those fans?

Also, since when is the 3800X "a better CPU"? It's been known ever since launch that it's a pointless SKU, since it offers almost identical performance in the real-world to the 3700X. If all you care about is 100 more points in Cinebench R20, sure, go for it, otherwise it's a waste of money. 

Not to mention that going with a 3700X/3800X for a gaming only build with a 3080 is odd at best, unless OP plans on gaming at 4K, but anyway.

52 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I gave a list that had the better cooler. AMD does not void your waranty (unlike intel) if you OC your RAM.

Anything over 3200MHz on Zen 2 is technically considered an overclock, since it's outside the spec.

So yeah, that'll "void your warranty". Will that affect you when you actually try to RMA your CPU? No, because you can just tell them that you ran it within spec.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

38 minutes ago, Kjhendir said:

also isn't haveing an SSD for games and OS and a HDD for the rest a basic norm?

Ssd for games you play most and hdd for other games/whatever else. I would leave a couple hundred gb left in the boot, as you may need it some time.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler