Issues with Hyperlinks in Firefox

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

This is a firefox bug, tracked in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1357365

Browser, version and OS: 

Firefox Nightly, 81.0a1 (2020-08-21) (64-bit), Windows 10

Firefox (Stable), 79.0 (64-bit), Windows 10

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Enter a URL into any content editor, continue typing after the URL.

What happened?

If you continue typing, all text, including spaces, will also be included in the hyperlink.

What did you expect to happen?

Match Brave 1.12.114 (Chromium 84.0.4147.135) behavior. Hyperlink should end after a space.

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 

All content editor instances.

Any other relevant details:

Issue occurs when using:

• Firefox Safe Mode
  • New Profile
  • New 79.0 Install

Firefox Nightly demonstration:

2020-08-21 13-25-25.mkv

Brave demonstration:

2020-08-21 13-26-27.mkv

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

that's specific to firefox i assume, i use chrome 84.0.4147.135 on Windows 10 and i haven't had this problem.

She/Her

2 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Enter a URL into any content editor, continue typing after the URL.

What happened?

If you continue typing, all text, including spaces, will also be included in the hyperlink.

This bug has been around for as long as I've used these forums. The workaround I use is to insert several spaces, then paste the URL between them. That said, yes, it is an annoying bug.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Ashley xD said:

that's specific to firefox i assume, i use chrome 84.0.4147.135 on Windows 10 and i haven't had this problem.

Yes, it is.

3 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Match Brave 1.12.114 (Chromium 84.0.4147.135) behavior. Hyperlink should end after a space.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 minute ago, PorkishPig said:

Yes, it is.

i figured but i just thought to include it as info. google chrome is not brave, so..

Edited by Ashley xD
typo's

She/Her

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

This bug has been around for as long as I've used these forums. The workaround I use is to insert several spaces, then paste the URL between them. That said, yes, it is an annoying bug.

I end up just coping a space from elsewhere in the post, it's a real pain.

Desktop

Homelab

I just press enter after I paste a link

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

I didn't know this was a bug, I always thought it was an overlooked feature that someone wrote for whatever reason.

please fix tho

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

3 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

why i don't use firefox... does mozilla even listen to their community? 

image.png.2182f50cd2eec90b4c008870f970f572.png

It's actually 14 years old. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=339071

Desktop

Homelab

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

does mozilla even listen to their community?

Have you even seen the shitshow that is the newest version of Firefox for Android? No, they really, really don't listen.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Have you even seen the shitshow that is the newest version of Firefox for Android? No, they really, really don't listen.

i'm an iOS user so no.

She/Her

Another workaround is to line break after link. Like line break, add space and the remove line break.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/22/2020 at 2:03 AM, WereCatf said:

What's the problem with it? Except for the relocation of the URL bar to the bottom - which you can turn off anyway - it's really pretty decent.

On 8/22/2020 at 12:48 AM, Ashley xD said:

why i don't use firefox... does mozilla even listen to their community? 

image.png.2182f50cd2eec90b4c008870f970f572.png

I see your point... but this is a barely perceptible bug with tons of workarounds. Can you really blame them for prioritising other things?

I have my criticisms of Firefox, but what's the alternative really? Because yeah sure, google listens to its community. Chrome users definitely wanted not to be able to see the URL of the web page they are reading. And they definitely wanted changes to the extension API which have the potential to break extensions that people have been using for years. Sure.

(Sorry if it sounds like I'm reading into what you're saying. I'm more responding to the common arguments than to what you specifically have said)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Chrome users definitely wanted not to be able to see the URL of the web page they are reading. 

Safari did it first and it can be disabled. 

image.png.d9167d0073e42481c9551124e9801f1d.png

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

And they definitely wanted changes to the extension API which have the potential to break extensions that people have been using for years. Sure.

i'm quite heavy with extentions and everything i use still works even in the latest Canary build of Chrome. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, pythonmegapixel said:

What's the problem with it? Except for the relocation of the URL bar to the bottom - which you can turn off anyway - it's really pretty decent.

• The landing-page was changed, with me now only getting one row of icons instead of multiple ones in the previous version.
  • The icons are way too tiny and the text below them is too small to be legible
  • The space that's reserved for the text below the icons is too short, meaning that everything gets shortened
  • No access to about:config anymore
  • Multiple websites are now broken
  • The constant fucking push for me to save my open tabs as a "collection", including a big, white box on the landing-page demanding me to use "collections" and no way of removing this fucking box
  • You previously got a thumbnail of what each tab showed, thereby allowing you to quickly recognize each tab just from the thumbnail without having to remember their order or reading what the tab contains. Not so anymore!
  • The new tab-switcher takes WAY too much space for what it actually provides
  • Extensions are broken
  • No way of blocking all autoplaying video anymore
  • A lot more that I can't even remember right now

7 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

(Sorry if it sounds like I'm reading into what you're saying. I'm more responding to the common arguments than to what you specifically have said)

did you make this edit after what i posted above? regardless mozilla just makes bad choices and does not listen. google actually fixes issues relatively quickly when they come up. same with Microsoft tbh, i prefer Edge to Chrome as a browser just for the interaction i have with the team behind it. the community manager for Edge is actually active in the Microsoft Community discord and i have reported bugs to her personally and she and the team behind edge really do care. i've seen one of that from mozilla. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

Safari did it first and it can be disabled. 

Yeah, for now... Google removes options from chrome://flags whenever they feel like it, and usually without notice.

Desktop

Homelab

5 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

did you make this edit after what i posted above?

Nope... made it before, seems like Invision Community is being stupid again. Apologies for any inconvenience.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:
  • The constant fucking push for me to save my open tabs as a "collection", including a big, white box on the landing-page demanding me to use "collections" and no way of removing this fucking box

Not seen that...

• The new tab-switcher takes WAY too much space for what it actually provide

I actually prefer it, because (a) it doesn't take over the whole screen anymore and (b) more space for the website title

• No way of blocking all autoplaying video anymore

Ummm... settings -> site permissions -> Autoplay (block audio and video)

Everything else I've not quoted is stuff I didn't use anyway though obviously that's no reason for you not to do so

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

5 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Yeah, for now... Google removes options from chrome://flags whenever they feel like it, and usually without notice.

maybe so but i prefer it hiding the url so there's that. if i wanna see the full url i just hover my mouse over the address bar. 

She/Her

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

Not seen that...

Well, now you have:

Screenshot_20200827-223217.thumb.jpg.a1524720f1f59068ae9f938534930847.jpg

The word "Kokoelmat" is the collections-thingy, with no way of removing it or the box below it. Also, do notice all the absolutely wasted space below it and the tiny icons above!

4 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

Ummm... settings -> site permissions -> Autoplay (block audio and video

Only blocks videos with audio, so nope.