Is there ANY hope for game streaming? We tried them all.

James

Buy Nvidia Shield: On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/DrIGZob On Newegg: https://geni.us/Trqf

There are so many game streaming services popping up, with so many idiosyncrasies, that it’s hard to keep it all straight. In this video, James takes Linus through a tour testing GeForce Now, Google Stadia, Microsoft Project Xcloud, and Sony PlayStation Now to see which one makes the most sense...except we didn't try Shadow.

9 minutes ago, James said:

except we didn't try Shadow

You mean you didn't try RAID SHADOW LEGENDS one of the biggest mobile role-playing games of 2019 and it's totally free! Currently almost 10 million users have joined Raid over the last six months, and it's one of the most impressive games in its class with detailed models, environments and smooth 60 frames per second animations! All the champions in the game can be customized with unique gear that changes your strategic buffs and abilities! The dungeon bosses have some ridiculous skills of their own and figuring out the perfect party and strategy to overtake them's a lot of fun! Currently with over 300,000 reviews, Raid has almost a perfect score on the Play Store! The community is growing fast and the highly anticipated new faction wars feature is now live, you might even find my squad out there in the arena! It's easier to start now than ever with rates program for new players you get a new daily login reward for the first 90 days that you play in the game! So what are you waiting for? Go to the video description, click on the special links and you'll get 50,000 silver and a free epic champion as part of the new player program to start your journey! Good luck and I'll see you there!

28 minutes ago, James said:

game streaming

You live by the lag, and you die by the lag.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

30 minutes ago, James said:

...except we didn't try Shadow.

So you basically didn't try the best and most professional game streaming service. But say in the title "We tried them all". C'mon

No one ever mentions Steam and Playstation Remote Play options. I think they added these features not long ago and I've used them both and they're great. You basically use your own computer/playstation as a server that streams a game to your phone or another computer.

It allowed me to finally play Bloodborne by having it streamed to my PC from my friend's PS4 (I don't own a PS4). I also use Steam Remote Play to play games at work. 

Since most people in LTT audience already have gaming computers, I think this option offers a better way to enjoy their game libraries on the go than paying for a separate cloud service. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

11 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

No one ever mentions Steam and Playstation Remote Play options.

Xbox has a similar service, though I've only been able to play Forza Horizon 3, and not any of the 120+ games I have/had on my HDD.

Also, is Sony not bundling PSNow with their TVs anymore? I thought that was a thing they were doing?

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

12 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

Also, is Sony not bundling PSNow with their TVs anymore? I thought that was a thing they were doing?

This is not PS Now, this is actually streaming the game from your own PS4 to another device. You don't need to pay a PS Now subscription for it. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

1 minute ago, Giganthrax said:

This is not PS Now, this is actually streaming the game from your own PS4 to another device. You don't need to pay a PS Now subscription for it. 

No, yeh, no, I get that, for the remote play service. I meant that question to anyone in general.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

Thinking back, I can't remember if Borderlands on OnLive had co-op or not.

I liked that service for single player experiences.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

Have you tried parsec gaming?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

3 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

No one ever mentions Steam and Playstation Remote Play options. I think they added these features not long ago and I've used them both and they're great. You basically use your own computer/playstation as a server that streams a game to your phone or another computer.

I also use Steam Remote Play to play games at work.

Since most people in LTT audience already have gaming computers, I think this option offers a better way to enjoy their game libraries on the go than paying for a separate cloud service. 

Completely agree; it's a travesty that they didn't mention Remote Play Anywhere (or Parsec). Technically they may compete more directly with Nvidia GameStream than the services in the video, where you don't need a PC, but most of Linus' viewers have a PC and a large game library, often on Steam, making Remote Play Anywhere a zero-friction alternative. You don't need to pay or even make a new account!

Plus, you can even do it on iOS, which several of these services don't support yet. And Remote Play Together to play local multiplayer games together remotely is awesome, especially in these trying quarantine times. Only the host has to own the game.

I created an account just to point this out, haha. I probably sound like a total Steam shill, and to be honest, I kind of am. Valve actively contributes to efforts towards supporting gaming on Linux and (generally) the consumer, so Valve gets my money. And yes, you can use Remote Play Anywhere (and all forms of Remote Play) from Linux. But regardless of my bias for Valve, Remote Play Anywhere is a competitive service that should be objectively tested against its competitors!

I thought it was a good video. Always like it when there is some kind of discussion going on, instead of Linus (or anybody else on the team for that matter) just going through talking points. It feels more engaging.

But, that ending is kind of a let down. Kind of feels like a cop out / safe non-answer. I think you should be a little more opinionated than that. At least answer why, for you, pick a service and state a reason. Would have liked to know what James prefers too.

Like, Stadia, cause I believe Google will get over this issue they're having with "no games" and it's available on #everything. GeForce Now, because I already have these games and I just want to play them somewhere else, and if the service dies, I still have my games, I just need to buy my own computer. PS Now, because I love PlayStation exclusives, and this is the only service you can get them. And XCloud, because fucking game pass is awesome, and it doesn't hurt that I have an Xbox at home...

Is this the same shield Linus bought at the NCIX auction?

On 3/24/2020 at 10:19 PM, Giganthrax said:

I always do try to mention them in a discussion about gamestreaming, myself. I use both whenever I travel to the other side of the country to visit relatives, because my laptop can't anymore run the latest and greatest games all that well -- gamestreaming lets me completely ignore my laptop's specs.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Maybe I missed something but when I watched this video.

The thing I was thinking the whole time was that LTT has super high end internet connection speeds beyond what most of the buying audience has available or can afford to get.

The real test of products like these are what can they give the average person who has average internet speeds?

Like he said in the video the jury is back on most of these and everyone is just waiting to see what the Microsoft product can do.

Much faster baseline internet speeds at cheaper prices.

To me this seems the only way likely for many products of all different kinds to make it that are trying to sell.

🤖 This does not compute to me.

😄