Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MineBloxCoderYT

Laptop M.2 In Desktop Motherboard

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I was wondering if I can use a m.2 ssd made for laptops on a Asus Prime A320M-K Motherboard? I Will update info about the motherboard and ssd tomorrow.

1 minute ago, MineBloxCoderYT said:

Hi, I was wondering if I can use a m.2 ssd made for laptops on a Asus Prime A320M-K Motherboard? I Will update info about the motherboard and ssd tomorrow.

As long as it fits in the slot you should have no issues, I would just reformat the drive before using it. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Noctua NF or Corsair ML?  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

Blueberry Pi  R7 3800X Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Gaming PC  i7-8700k OC@5.1GHz (Delid)  Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2  Corsair H100i Pro  Corsair ML RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

SFF ITX Home PC  i7-6700k  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey)

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Sold PC's  Big White

16 minutes ago, MineBloxCoderYT said:

From what I have seen M.2 drives are made in stanard sizes. You just have to verify what sizes your motherboard supports. 

1 hour ago, BecauseICanTBH said:

If it physically fits the slot and mount bracket then there shouldn't be a problem.

There is a problem. One Problem. Very Bad Problem. Ahem.

It Doesnt Register in the bios!

7 hours ago, MineBloxCoderYT said:

It says NVMe and my motherboard is compatible with something like NGFF Or something. Yes sata

SATA is not NVMe.  While many mobo's today can work with SATA, PCIe AHCI, or NVMe, not all can.  So some will fail to see a M2 drive plugged in if it uses the wrong protocol.

Home PC: 2013 Mac Pro connected to a LG 34" Ultra-wide 3440x1440.  Email, Youtube, light Adobe CC work, and Ripping Things.

Gaming PC: Old i7-4790k, 16GB DDR3 cheapo ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB too much for CPU stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: i7-4790k, 32GB DDR3, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 86TB FreeNAS.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

SATA drives have two slots in the connector, while NVMe drives have only one.

The Schnoz

21 hours ago, MineBloxCoderYT said:

You can use any m2 (aka NGFF) card designed for a laptop in a desktop except WiFi cards that require a CNVi chipset support.

Some laptops may only support mSATA/PCIe x1 (x2), while high performance laptops accept PCIe x4 and can take x1, but I've yet to see an x1 drive. Most desktops with M2 drives support PCIe x4. SSD's will almost always be M key, and motherboards will almost always be M key as well. 

just to check: are you using an athlon CPU?

3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics : 
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)

AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ 7th Generation A-Series/ Athlon™ X4 Processors : 
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode)

EDIT: i see you've went ahead with the athlon in your other thread. you're out of the NVMe option, i'm afraid

The storage interface is the slowest place for data.  Anytime you can increase the speed of storage, you really provide a massive boost to the responsiveness of a system.

Think of storage as tires.

Doesn't matter if you have 2000hp if you can't put it to use. 

Home PC: 2013 Mac Pro connected to a LG 34" Ultra-wide 3440x1440.  Email, Youtube, light Adobe CC work, and Ripping Things.

Gaming PC: Old i7-4790k, 16GB DDR3 cheapo ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB too much for CPU stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: i7-4790k, 32GB DDR3, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 86TB FreeNAS.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

5 minutes ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

The storage interface is the slowest place for data.  Anytime you can increase the speed of storage, you really provide a massive boost to the responsiveness of a system.

Think of storage as tires.

Doesn't matter if you have 2000hp if you can't put it to use. 

yes, but that's not the scope of this thread. OP's just looking to reuse an existing stick

I think I see the problem. I got this from a family member who helped me build my PC. He got a new 1 Terabyte M.2 and gave me his blank 512 GB M.2, Its an arm m.2 so I think that's the problem

This is an NVMe m.2 drive, but your motherboard only supports SATA m.2 drives when an Athlon CPU is used. So you can't use it with the CPU you chose.

Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K / GPD Win 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2020 at 3:00 AM, MineBloxCoderYT said:

Its an arm m.2 so I think that's the problem

samsung does not make SSDs with ARM controllers. that's an NVMe stick with a samsung NVMe controller. your fam most likely handed you a SATA M.2 SSD, so that's immediately compatible with your getup

keep in mind M.2 is a form factor, not an electrical communication standard like SATA and NVMe

Edited by VegetableStu
technically correct, but technically correct

Does look like he means NVMe when his particular configuration only supports SATA.

Samsung's consumer drives do all use ARM microcontrollers but that has nothing to do with NVMe vs. SATA or any compatibility issue for that matter. The 860 EVO (SATA) and 970 EVO (NVMe) both use ARM technology for example...

His picture looks to show a 960 series NVMe drive which has the Polaris controller (penta-core ARM Cortex-R5).

this is my setup.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JKfDn7

CPU: AMD Athlon 220GE 3.4 GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.93 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME A320M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($58.65 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($43.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($34.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Raidmax XT 300 W ATX Power Supply 
Total: $246.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-02 12:48 EST-0500

1 hour ago, MineBloxCoderYT said:

Actually its this one. two big black chips at the end. one small chip above those. Another big chip.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LMJwrH/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzhpu512hcgl00000

That's an OEM drive and predates even the 950 series; the 950 series had a tri-core ARM Cortex-R4 design called the UBX while the XP941 uses the older but similar UAX. Planar MLC, obviously. Irrelevant still as people pointed out a NVMe drive won't work with that CPU and board combination.