My Parents Don't Like Gaming

otherworldlynob
4 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

No they arent. Pawn Shops are actually one of the worst places you can go to sale stolen goods since you have to provide an id and its literally the first thing victims/police do when looking for stolen goods.

Most of the items in pawn shops are just from people who need fast cash.

Point is....dont worry about it. As long as you are not stealing it.

I concur.  Pawn shops have a tremendous rep for stolen goods and the result it there are huge controls.  A pawn shop owner can lose their license if stuff turns out to be stolen.  My understanding is the biggest place for fencing I atm is eBay and craigslist.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I concur.  Pawn shops have a tremendous rep for stolen goods and the result it there are huge controls.  A pawn shop owner can lose their license if stuff turns out to be stolen.  My understanding is the biggest place for fencing I atm is eBay and craigslist.

Yea places like ebay, craigslist, let go, etc are all much better for moving stolen goods.

Anytime you sell a product to another area (using ebay) its safer (for the thief) because nobody is capable of looking at every single area for their stolen goods.And even if you found your stolen laptop across the country the police wont do anything about it. It would cost them 100x more then your laptop is worth lol.

And then with craigslist like markets everything is anonymous. I could make a throwaway email and sale the stolen goods and be good to go. Even if they found the product when they ask the buyer who they bought it from and they say "randomguy@yahoo.com" thats the end of that investigation lol.

Is there a reason behind they dislike for gaming? This could be for religious or personal reasons. Both equal to the same place, honor thy mother and father. They are there to guide you until you reach an age where you can make your own decisions. Though to be fair I have seen people who where never able to do anything go crazy since they were never given a chance to try it out...cough drinking and partying. I am not condoning either for any minor ever, I am just saying what I saw when I was growing up. Until you reach an age where you can make your own decisions there is little that can be done best would be to look at the argument from their point of view and see if you can actively debate the topic in a very mature way. That doesn't mean go behind their backs or yell at them about their decision but instead see WHY they have said rule and see explain the other side. My family was VERY liberal growing up so I was allowed to do more than most families I know. I learned quickly that certain activities had a consequence that I would have to live with if I made X decision. If worse comes to worse and they ban you from games till you move out at least your only missing out on video games, definetly something that is non-essential to life. You could say technology is the future and having a more powerful phone/computer is good practice...phones are a very common place for some gamers these days (regardless of most peoples here view on mobile games lol).

Good luck with your endeavours on this topic and in the end we must respect your parents decisions. 

Note**I didnt read every comment so I dont have the whole story as to reasoning behind parents decisions. 

1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

No they arent. Pawn Shops are actually one of the worst places you can go to sale stolen goods since you have to provide an id and its literally the first thing victims/police do when looking for stolen goods.

Most of the items in pawn shops are just from people who need fast cash.

Point is....dont worry about it. As long as you are not stealing it.

The don’t worry about it as long as you aren’t stealing it doesn’t work.  “Receiving stolen goods” is a crime too.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

The don’t worry about it as long as you aren’t stealing it doesn’t work.  “Receiving stolen goods” is a crime too.

Kind of, but yes.

If you have a reasonable suspicion that the goods are stolen, or you should reasonably know that the goods are stolen, then yes, that's for sure a crime.

However, if there was no reasonable way for you to tell (eg: you bought them from a legit retailer or it came with a very legit looking receipt from the original owner), then no jurisdiction is going to pursue charges against you.

But he already said he suspects they're stolen, so for sure he's covered under receiving stolen goods.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Yes I know....that has nothing to do with my comment of the subject i was referring to in the comment i quoted.

Basically you need to talk to your parents. Not us. We cannot help you at all other then telling you to talk to them.

We dont know anything about your parents or their motives.

Its completely possible that you are just shit out of luck for the time being. That may change in the future...it may not.

The only thing you can do is talk to them and if they dont wanna talk about it then thats that.

I was mostly asking for advice on how to convince them or how to get one on my own or something.

37 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Is there a reason behind they dislike for gaming? This could be for religious or personal reasons. Both equal to the same place, honor thy mother and father. They are there to guide you until you reach an age where you can make your own decisions. Though to be fair I have seen people who where never able to do anything go crazy since they were never given a chance to try it out...cough drinking and partying. I am not condoning either for any minor ever, I am just saying what I saw when I was growing up. Until you reach an age where you can make your own decisions there is little that can be done best would be to look at the argument from their point of view and see if you can actively debate the topic in a very mature way. That doesn't mean go behind their backs or yell at them about their decision but instead see WHY they have said rule and see explain the other side. My family was VERY liberal growing up so I was allowed to do more than most families I know. I learned quickly that certain activities had a consequence that I would have to live with if I made X decision. If worse comes to worse and they ban you from games till you move out at least your only missing out on video games, definetly something that is non-essential to life. You could say technology is the future and having a more powerful phone/computer is good practice...phones are a very common place for some gamers these days (regardless of most peoples here view on mobile games lol).

Good luck with your endeavours on this topic and in the end we must respect your parents decisions. 

Note**I didnt read every comment so I dont have the whole story as to reasoning behind parents decisions. 

I’m still confused at this point, but I am going to wait a while before asking for now.

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Kind of, but yes.

If you have a reasonable suspicion that the goods are stolen, or you should reasonably know that the goods are stolen, then yes, that's for sure a crime.

However, if there was no reasonable way for you to tell (eg: you bought them from a legit retailer or it came with a very legit looking receipt from the original owner), then no jurisdiction is going to pursue charges against you.

But he already said he suspects they're stolen, so for sure he's covered under receiving stolen goods.

They will take back the merch though.  You will lose it and any money you paid for it.

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Only if they can prove you knowingly bought stolen goods. Which unless you are an idiot. wont happen. You can even suspect it might be stolen. but that still wont matter.

Also if you bought stolen good in good faith....depending on the areas law. you get to legally keep it.

My brother car was stolen and then sold to a unsuspecting family. We tracked the car down and the family told us where they bought the car from and there's a ongoing legal thing there. but the family gets to keep the car.

3 minutes ago, otherworldlynob said:

I was mostly asking for advice on how to convince them or how to get one on my own or something.

Talk to them. Thats literally the only way.

We dot know your parents at all so we cant really help you much except for saying talk to them.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They will take back the merch though.  You will lose it and any money you paid for it.

Oh for sure, you'd have to give up the stolen goods. As for whether you're out the money depends on how you paid for it. A Credit Card would almost certainly reimburse you. Cash or Debit? You are out of luck unless the money can be recovered.

But in neither case are you going to jail (unless you were in on it, knew about it, or reasonably should have known about it).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

My brother car was stolen and then sold to a unsuspecting family. We tracked the car down and the family told us where they bought the car from and theres a ungoing legal thing there. but the family gets to keep the car.

I can't possibly imagine a scenario in which the new owners would get to keep your brothers legally owned car.

Perhaps only if the new owners were trying to prove that your brother never owned the car in the first place? But assuming he's got the ownership info and all of that (and it was registered to him), it should be fairly easy to get the car back.

17 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Talk to them. Thats literally the only way.

We dot know your parents at all so we cant really help you much except for saying talk to them.

I meant how to talk to them, like what to talk about. Or maybe a way to get a PC on my own.

13 minutes ago, otherworldlynob said:

I meant how to talk to them, like what to talk about. Or maybe a way to get a PC on my own.

It could be useful to find out what exactly they don’t like about gaming.  All of it.  The rational stuff and the irrational stuff.  Just because their problem(s) isn’t rational (or at least doesn’t seem that way to you) doesn’t keep it from being an impediment.  You may even wind up agreeing with them.  They need to be dealt with in some way or other whether you think they’re dumb or not.  Some of it they might not even admit to at first so there could be stumbling blocks where you get part way, something new crops up, and needs to be dealt with.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It could be useful to find out what exactly they don’t like about gaming.  All of it.  The rational stuff and the irrational stuff.  Just because their problem(s) isn’t rational (or at least doesn’t seem that way to you) doesn’t keep it from being an impediment.  You may even wind up agreeing with them.  They need to be dealt with in some way or other whether you think they’re dumb or not.  Some of it they might not even admit to at first so there could be stumbling blocks where you get part way, something new crops up, and needs to be dealt with.

I understand, however I feel waiting a little is the best option in this case.

55 minutes ago, otherworldlynob said:

I understand, however I feel waiting a little is the best option in this case.

You’re the one that knows them.  

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

All of it.

No they dont communicate, so its gotta be short chit chat on surface stuff, more then likely.

4 hours ago, greenmax said:

No they dont communicate, so its gotta be short chit chat on surface stuff, more then likely.

? Well clearly not so far.  If there’s no way to get them to even express why they think something  it’s a bit of a difficult problem.  Seems odd though.  Parents in my experience often want to explain why.

4 hours ago, greenmax said:

Force communication (force is probably the wrong word, but you get the idea, YOU bring it up, they won't ever will they?)

Basically we can't suggest much because we don't KNOW them (their feelings, history, their life opinions and morals....etc)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

On 2/17/2020 at 10:16 AM, otherworldlynob said:

Well, he reads for twenty seconds and then stops and announces it's just an excuse for gaming. Wonderful.

well it does sound like an excuse for gaming. why not try another hobby or just play different games?

9 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

well it does sound like an excuse for gaming. why not try another hobby or just play different games?

Its hard for todays children to get off the computer, their phones, laptops etc. They dont want to go outside and play sports with other children and its going to stunt their inter-personal skills, along with writing skills and language skills. Heck I have even seen people write LOL in the online classifieds for a vehicle they want to sell. It gave off a vibe of immaturity, and I'd bet its been done on resumes too. Thats what technology does, its a form of addiction.

2 minutes ago, greenmax said:

Its hard for todays children to get off the computer, their phones, laptops etc. They dont want to go outside and play sports with other children and its going to stunt their inter-personal skills, along with writing skills and language skills. Heck I have even seen people write LOL in the online classifieds for a vehicle they want to sell. It gave off a vibe of immaturity, and I'd bet its been done on resumes too. Thats what technology does, its a form of addiction.

Technology is a huge advantage for today's society. Its a big leap in information access, you just have to be mature about the way you use it. It's more a variety of skill and culture development as an adolescent that should progress. Gaming is fine in moderation, lots of games designed specifically for kids in mind - nothing wrong with it, however this blurb suggests OP only wants to do that with the computer, and indeed with his/her time. That would be quite concerning. 

On 2/20/2020 at 3:22 PM, otherworldlynob said:

How would I buy games though? Also I would need a Chromecast Ultra and controller anyway, parents won’t let me buy anything gaming related

you can just buy an individual game on the stadia store, from there you'd be able to play on google chrome using a mouse and keyboard

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 hours ago, Citadelen said:

you can just buy an individual game on the stadia store, from there you'd be able to play on google chrome using a mouse and keyboard

As I said, how would I buy the game?

I'd like to point something out that might help you see your parent's view.. You say you won't spend all your time playing games, but how much time have you spent in here trying to get people to help you justify to your parents why they should let you play them? With the time spent in here, you could have been doing other things to prove to them that video games wont become an obsession. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your parents, but I can see where they are coming from. 

Edited by Voluspa
Grammar

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?