does anyone use internet explorer 11 in current day?

oali24

Does anyone use IE 11 in 2020? I used IE during my childhood on a windows 7 dell all in one and it was fine, I used it until about 2015, I've been using it a bit and honestly things still load completely normally, the only site that has trouble is reddit which tells me to use the old UI, which then works fine, did IE 6 really taint its reputation that much?

2 minutes ago, oali24 said:

Does anyone use IE 11 in 2020

I have a few work-specific applications that only run under IE11

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have a few work-specific applications that only run under IE11

what sort of applications?

1 minute ago, oali24 said:

what sort of applications?

I work for the gov't, in a secure facility. I'm not at liberty to say, sorry. Suffice to say they were coded specifically for IE  

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I work for the gov't, in a secure facility. I'm not at liberty to say, sorry. Suffice to say they were coded specifically for IE  

And that's secure somehow?

4 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

And that's secure somehow?

Never said the software was secure, only that the building is. 

I’m going to assume he’s joking.  The problem with older versions of ie is security issues.  Big ones I vaguely recall.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

are you a Jordanian, or is the location on your profile some reference I don't understand.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m going to assume he’s joking.  The problem with older versions of ie is security issues.  Big ones I vaguely recall.

Yeah but like the newer versions like 10 and 11 must have at least improved somewhat and microsoft's a big company, its hard to imagine that they never fixed them.

my job still uses Windows 7 Enterprise so like I'm using it as we speak. 

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

For work (Credit Union) yes, we're trying to get away from it, but unless those sites update we have to stick with it.
Mostly, remote deposit and our CUSO.

34 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Never said the software was secure, only that the building is. 

Wasn't talking about the building.

42 minutes ago, oali24 said:

are you a Jordanian, or is the location on your profile some reference I don't understand.

Some ref you don't understand.

It's a reference to Dante's Inferno, it's a circle of Hell where Heretics are condemned,

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Some ref you don't understand.

It's a reference to Dante's Inferno, it's a circle of Hell where Heretics are condemned,

Oh okay, because here in Amman, people refer to some parts of the city by the roundabout thats nearest to it, and here people call roundabouts circles.

3 hours ago, oali24 said:

Does anyone use IE 11 in 2020? I used IE during my childhood on a windows 7 dell all in one and it was fine, I used it until about 2015, I've been using it a bit and honestly things still load completely normally, the only site that has trouble is reddit which tells me to use the old UI, which then works fine, did IE 6 really taint its reputation that much?

The office I work at still defaults to MSIE11.

The problem with MSIE6 is that many, MANY software programs were written against the VBScript in MSIE6. So while the broader internet has adopted some (arguably worse) javascript frameworks to do whiz-bang stuff, enterprise intranets still drag their heels in replacing software that "is working perfectly fine"

But the consequence there, as an example, is if I try to access the Dell or HP support sites. They are broken on MSIE11. So if Chrome isn't installed, then there is no way to use the support site. In fact, Chrome's insistance on switching to HTTPS everywhere and then turn around and depreciating most of SSL/TLS, actually creates a scenario where the firewall's won't put up with some TLS1.2 requests from sites that get an A rating from SSLLabs. MSIE 11 still works on TLS 1.2, but if you missed the cut off in Windows 7 to update the root certificates, it's dead in the water.

MSIE 6 stuck around mostly because bots ID'd themselves at it. Like contextweb (pulsepoint, an advertisement network) always identified itself as MSIE6, and made a HTTP call every single time someone visited the site to scrape the page. So if you look at the site statistics for nearly any site before the advertisement networks tanked at the introduction of EU GDPR, you'll still find MSIE6 higher than some Android devices.

There are countless companies that require IE for their intranet and custom applications. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

There's still tons of reasons I have to use IE on a daily basis (professionally, not personally).

Lot's of companies are still using older softwares, devices and infrastructures. Some of the upgrade cost is too prohibitive, so they keep those old things until they die and are forced to upgrade.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I also use applications that only work on IE, im in the automotive industry and some of the firmware update tools I use only work in IE, very annoying

i have a number of systems at work that refuse to work with anything not IE11

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

My in-laws still have to use it for Taxes for there home trucking company. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Ofc, when it comes to work people will be using old pcs for years, windows XP etc, will guranteed be in use for atleast one more decade. 

im using internet explorer for some old java based aplications and for internet dowload manager because ie is the only one who works whit amd uvd 3.0 video hardware acceleration and firefox drop support and opera and chrome, so long live ie 11 in win 10.