"Old" Tech that You must Keep

dual290x

My Laserdisc player, because i like Laserdiscs! 

It also plays CDs and DVDs pretty well.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

USB to serial adaptor that complies with the RS-232 standard.

The adaptor itself isn't that old (maybe 5 years at most) but the standard it supports is now 60 years old (introduced in 1960).

Reason why I use it? Because for some reason switches for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars still use that standard. And the ones who do have USB ports rarely work for a wide variety of reasons (for example you still need to emulate the console port, which requires special drivers which sometimes doesn't work, and with a bit of bad luck your USB port can send too much power to the USB port which can cause the switch to shut down).

I keep another pc with an optical drive just in case.

I used to have a firewire card because I have a ton of mini dv tapes, but I had to sacrifice it for my vertical gpu mount. (the old pc has built in firewire anyway, but it's inconveniently under the desk)

I still have a box of new 3.5'' floppy disks lying around somewhere, and I don't have a floppy drive.

The list goes on

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

I keep an old PowerMac G5 around just in case I need an old machine to burn an image to a dvd or something.

She/Her

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

for some reason switches for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars still use that standard

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

the ones who do have USB ports rarely work

I think you answered why they still use that standard :D

I find it hard to throw a functional peripheral away.  An old system might get tossed once I have stripped it of anything useful, but drives/adapters/etc will go in a box, just in case ;)

54 minutes ago, Koeshi said:

I think you answered why they still use that standard :D

I find it hard to throw a functional peripheral away.  An old system might get tossed once I have stripped it of anything useful, but drives/adapters/etc will go in a box, just in case ;)

Usable gets problematic though.  I’ve got a laser printer and a scanner for example, both of which are fully functional, but they’re so old I can’t get drivers.  I could build a cups/sane system to put them on WiFi and turn them into an appliance but I have to have a machine to run such.  I’ve also got an unopened pi zero but it doesn’t have useful usb out so it all got complicated.  The best solution turned out to be to buy new so I’m going to donate the whole mess to freegeek along with a bunch of other hardware

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/1/2020 at 7:05 AM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Definitely an optical drive. I'm ripping a new CD right now and have six more to go after that. I won't own a machine without an optical drive.

Why not just buy an external one, in case drives can limit airflow...

Just my 2 cents.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 hours ago, scuff gang said:

Just my 2 cents.

External ones take up desktop space, which is already crowded, require horsing around with another cable, eat up a USB port, a hassle to set up, put away, and store, and are slower than internally mounted ODDs. I've never had an airflow problem with case mounted ODDs.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I have a probably 15+ year old KVM switch, I only need it for a keyboard/mouse so it works fine for that still.
My main laptop is an 8 year old Precision M6700 and will probably stay that way, it's got everything...
I have an old Pentium II system but it rarely gets used.

Also have a few 2006 Apple Xserve 1,1s... these are probably going to get sold if anyone buys them...

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

5 hours ago, scuff gang said:

Just my 2 cents.

Isn't that why we use fans? I mean I guess a small chassis can have that issue,  but even so. 

Storage drives are more likely to stifle airflow than optical drives. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So I've got a USB 3.5in Floppy Drive for my bunch of DOS games, I've of course got the PS1 and 2, an N64, a few of the old plug and plays that took the little extra cartridge to "expand" what it was capable of, I've got 2 Genesis IIIs, a SNES, and a NES, a PSP Go, I've got original silver fat Nintendo DS, somewhere I think I've got a Gameboy Advance still.

I think that when it comes to music equipment, age might honestly be a bit different. 

I've got the Digitech GNX 3 workstation pedal, that takes a Smart Media Card, which I don't even know that they make Smart Media Cards anymore. I'm pretty sure this came out in 2002. 
image.thumb.png.d38784b8758d571077d2810f90125603.png

Then I mean again not that old but this amp of mine came out in 2009.
FB_IMG_1580491014374.jpg.cdb581e880fe6a5b553fa03dae908cc9.jpg

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

That'd be my Gigabyte GA-5AA. Not the fastest SS7 motherboard nor most featured packed. But it does 1 thing that no other motherboard to date has managed: Supporting every single pin-compatible CPU (aka everything Socket 5, 7 and Super 7) without needing any BIOS updates (mine also works with 512MB SDRAM sticks, I've had it run XP with 1.5GB RAM). Plus the previous owner already replaced the normally dead VRM caps as well.

If I had one of the K6-III + for it, it'd actually be competing with far newer Athlon 1400 based systems (only got a K6-2 500 however).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'd like to think it speaks for itself..when on a shelf aka a 3slot Display GPU or when you weigh the thing, and figure a spare brick never hurts to have.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-hd-7970-directcu-ii-top.b247

This is my image, not google images.

ASUS HD7970 1GHZ TOP 3Slot

IMG_20200206_201150.jpg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz