Best first credit card for me

spartaman64

I want to get a credit card partially for the security and partially for the benefits like points, cash back etc.

I prefer for there not to be a fee but if its below 100 dollars then its fine.

I plan to pay it off fully every month so the interest rate doesn't really matter.

I also have pretty much no credit score.

I can probably convince my parents to apply for a credit card for me if it needs a credit score but idk if that breaks any laws or something or they can cosign.

My salary is 30k a year. I spend around 500 a month so I dont really need a high credit limit. Im 20 years old. I dont really travel and probably will mostly use it for food and buying stuff online.

Just get a debit card, I've known many people to fall into the trap of a credit card. 

Damn' I'm trying to remember an ad where they advertized a virtual credit card for all needs - one virtual card for every instance so if your account got hijacked  you won't be at a much loss .. 

It might have been - https://privacy.com/virtual-card

I edit my posts more often than not

6 minutes ago, floofer said:

Just get a debit card, I've known many people to fall into the trap of a credit card. 

I have a debit card but I want the security and the rewards of a credit card. And I'm not really planning on using it like a "credit" card

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I have a debit card but I want the security and the rewards of a credit card. And I'm not really planning on using it like a "credit" card

they always get you one way or another. Are the rewards worth the $100? There is no additional security of a credit card. 

7 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Damn' I'm trying to remember an ad where they advertized a virtual credit card for all needs - one virtual card for every instance so if your account got hijacked  you won't be at a much loss .. 

It might have been - https://privacy.com/virtual-card

Interesting but there does seem to be any rewards in using them and I want to be able to use them when going to a restaurant or something

Just now, spartaman64 said:

Interesting but there does seem to be any rewards in using them and I want to be able to use them when going to a restaurant or something

Yeah, haven't gotten too deep in exploring the options the free version provides, but I assume there would be an option to have larger sums in on one of the 12 cards, useable as a regular credit card. I recommend taking a look at it if you have not yet. 

And I'm not getting payed for promo...

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, floofer said:

they always get you one way or another. Are the rewards worth the $100? There is no additional security of a credit card. 

Benefits of using a credit card (in the UK anyway):

- Purchase protections: if you receive an item from a purchase online and it's not as described or paying a company for a service and halfway through, they dissolve, you can get your money back.

- Fraudulent activity protections: If there was fraudulent activity on your card, you can get the monies returned, as long as you were negligent with it. 

- Interest free loans/buy now, pay later: This can be good if something suddenly happens and you know you can afford it when you get paid next/can afford the interest for the short-period you do borrow but just can't afford it right now. 

- Building a credit rating: Good for dem mortgages and loans later in life (assuming you use the credit card wisely and properly)

Maybe it is just me but I think those are pretty good reasons to get a credit card :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

10 minutes ago, floofer said:

Disputing a bank charge can take months and my school probably wont like having to wait months for my tuition payment nor the car insurance company. And it's easier and more guaranteed than with a bank. And like i said I prefer no annual charge but I can probably break even with a 100 dollar charge with cash back and reward points

20 minutes ago, floofer said:

Credit cards at least in the US offer more fraud protection. 

Plus having a credit card will help the OP build credit if used wisely. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Disputing a bank charge can take months and my school probably wont like having to wait months for my tuition payment nor the car insurance company. And like i said I prefer no annual charge but I can probably break even with a 100 dollar charge with cash back and reward points

I won’t touch a card with an annual fee. If closed an account out because they decided to implement an annual fee. 

Not sure where your at in the world. But my card is thru Chase. You earn points you can use for gift cards and cash back. The points can be used on Amazon directly as cash. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

17 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Credit Card rewards are a fallacy for the most part.  You get them when you pay for them, which doesn't make them a reward.  Like AMEX Platinum  $500 a year fee, for rewards :)

Probably the best one I would say is American Express Blue Cash , you get cash back over time depending on usage.  It's a touch higher in it's payback than most.

Btw, what do you mean by "Security of a credit card"?   Their isn't anything in the way of security above and beyond a debit card at all.

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I won’t touch a card with an annual fee. If closed an account out because they decided to implement an annual fee. 

Not sure where your at in the world. But my card is thru Chase. You earn points you can use for gift cards and cash back. The points can be used on Amazon directly as cash. 

Yep im mainly planning to get a no fee card I just put that in my post in case someone thought there's a card worth the annual fee. I'm in the US

10 minutes ago, Lorant said:

Credit Card rewards are a fallacy for the most part.  You get them when you pay for them, which doesn't make them a reward.  Like AMEX Platinum  $500 a year fee, for rewards :)

Probably the best one I would say is American Express Blue Cash , you get cash back over time depending on usage.  It's a touch higher in it's payback than most.

Btw, what do you mean by "Security of a credit card"?   Their isn't anything in the way of security above and beyond a debit card at all.

There's cards with no fee and I'm referring to the fact I don't have to wait months to get my money back since it never left and it's much easier to file a claim with credit card companies thab with banks. My dad has an Amex platinum card but he spends like 50,000 a month for his business so I guess that could make it worth it

Just get one of those secured cards if you have no credit. You basically front a few hundred of your own cash and that is your limit. Then just use it for things like gas. Every time you fill up, charge it but then put then withdraw the money from your bank and it put it in an envelope for the monthly payment.

Only charge what you can pay off every month.

5 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Just get one of those secured cards if you have no credit. You basically front a few hundred of your own cash and that is your limit. Then just use it for things like gas. Every time you fill up, charge it but then put then withdraw the money from your bank and it put it in an envelope for the monthly payment.

Only charge what you can pay off every month.

My parents can cosign or just apply for it and give it to me I checked and that doesn't seem to be illegal. And I've saved like 80% of what I get paid so I don't think that would be an issue for me

Do you go to school? I got a college cash back credit card as my first credit card. My credit limit was $800 first but eventually upgraded into a Platinum Credit Card from consecutive on-time monthly payments. Helped me build my credit and my banker was really helpful. Prepare questions ahead of time before going to the bank.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

26 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

41 minutes ago, Lorant said:

1 minute ago, WhiteJaguar77 said:

45 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

50 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

ok i did some research and these are the cards that seem interesting

Discover it® Student Cash Back
Earn 5% cash back in rotating categories each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more, up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate.
Earn 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases – automatically

Balance Transfers Intro APR
10.99% for 6 months
Purchases Intro APR
0% for 6 months
Regular APR
19.49% Variable
Annual Fee
$0

Discover it® Secured

2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases every quarter, automatically.
Earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.

10.99% for 6 months
Purchases Intro APR
N/A
Regular APR
24.49% Variable
Annual Fee
$0

Discover it® Student chrome

Earn 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter.
Earn 1% unlimited cash back on all other purchases – automatically.

10.99% for 6 months
Purchases Intro APR
0% for 6 months
Regular APR
19.49% Variable
Annual Fee
$0

Petal Visa® Credit Card

Up to 1.5% cash back after making 12 on-time monthly payments.
1% cash back on purchases right away

N/A
Purchases Intro APR
N/A
Regular APR
14.49% - 25.49% (Variable)
Annual Fee
$0

which card do you guys think is the best one or recommend another card and I am a part time student in college.

Get the one from your bank. IMO it's the best choice, and they're more likely to work with you if you have a problem, or want an increase in credit.

Frankly, if you're making $30k a year I'm shocked you don't have one already. I had a credit card when I was 17. If you're making that much, you don't need a cosigner to get a small limit, and frankly, you should be able to get a much higher one. When I was 20 my cc had a $5k limit.

Go for the highest limit they'll give you. You don't have to spend it, but it's there if you need it, and not only that, it helps add to your buffer; it's best to keep your credit usage under 30%. So, lets say you have something come up and you need (or want) to put something on your card. If you had a $5k limit, you have a bigger chunk to play with before it starts affecting your credit score. This is also why it's better to find a card with a lower interest rate.

Don't get a card that gives you air miles. Get one that gives you cash back.

1 hour ago, floofer said:

It's not a trap, and building credit is a pretty important aspect of life. There's also many things you simply can't do without a credit card.

1 hour ago, floofer said:

Not if you're not an idiot.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Get the one from your bank. IMO it's the best choice, and they're more likely to work with you if you have a problem, or want an increase in credit.

Frankly, if you're making $30k a year I'm shocked you don't have one already. I had a credit card when I was 17. If you're making that much, you don't need a cosigner to get a small limit, and frankly, you should be able to get a much higher one. When I was 20 my cc had a $5k limit.

Go for the highest limit they'll give you. You don't have to spend it, but it's there if you need it, and not only that, it helps add to your buffer; it's best to keep your credit usage under 30%. So, lets say you have something come up and you need (or want) to put something on your card. If you had a $5k limit, you have a bigger chunk to play with before it starts affecting your credit score. This is also why it's better to find a card with a lower interest rate.

Don't get a card that gives you air miles. Get one that gives you cash back.

It's not a trap, and building credit is a pretty important aspect of life. There's also many things you simply can't do without a credit card.

Not if you're not an idiot.

i have a chase bank but they dont seem to offer any cards for people with no credit history though i guess it doesnt hurt to try and apply. the chase freedom unlimited looks interesting but i think its likely im going to get denied

Just get one according to your income.

I got a HSBC Advance Mastercard Credit card (2x points, no fees for the first 12 months) but I am changing it for a HSBC World Elite Mastercard.

Note that I am not a US citizen, but I heard good things about Amex, or Chase credit cards also.

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i have a chase bank but they dont seem to offer any cards for people with no credit history though i guess it doesnt hurt to try and apply. the chase freedom unlimited looks interesting but i think its likely im going to get denied

How long have you been with the bank?

They should work with you. That's why they're your customer. Most people forget that banks need you to make money, they need you more than you need them.

You might have to make an appointment and talk to them in person.

When I got my first cc, I wasn't even looking for one. I called the bank in regards to a different matter, and they asked why I didn't have one. Based on my balance, they gave me one with a $1,500 limit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, tankyx said:

Just get one according to your income.

I got a HSBC Advance Mastercard Credit card (2x points, no fees for the first 12 months) but I am changing it for a HSBC World Elite Mastercard.

Note that I am not a US citizen, but I heard good things about Amex, or Chase credit cards also.

I probably won't get approved for a lot of them since I have no credit history but it doesn't hurt to apply and I'll try applying for the chase freedom one. I don't like Amex because a lot of places dont take them.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

How long have you been with the bank?

They should work with you. That's why they're your customer. Most people forget that banks need you to make money, they need you more than you need them.

You might have to make an appointment and talk to them in person.

When I got my first cc, I wasn't even looking for one. I called the bank in regards to a different matter, and they asked why I didn't have one. Based on my balance, they gave me one with a $1,500 limit.

Ive been with them for about 4 years and I'll try applying in person 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Make an appointment though. Don't just go talk to a teller.

If that fails, get a department store card. Pretty much guaranteed approval.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I probably won't get approved for a lot of them since I have no credit history but it doesn't hurt to apply and I'll try applying for the chase freedom one. I don't like Amex because a lot of places dont take them.

Please list the places you go that don't take Amex.  I have only found that Costco and maybe food court shit restaurants don't take them.

Their fees are expensive for small businesses, but if you're a business and not trying EVERY way to get a customer to pay you... not all that smart.

Instead of worrying about what CC to get based on a lot of things you've read or heard, why not just get one and start using it to establish.  It's not like you can't cancel it and get more CC's when you want.

Hell, my ex-wife had over a dozen.  You aren;'t locked in to them, when you use them properly.

Edit:  I use a Visa Debit Card from my bank for cash and Amex Blue Cash for everything else.  Amex has been fantastic with disputes and customer service.