My Thoughts On FuchsiaOS

1. It's not a unix based kernel, neither is it nt based.

2. it's main graphics driver is vulkan, not opengl.

3. the kernel is a microkernel, seen in HaikuOS (the discontinued version is BeOS) and the LK (little kernel) project

4. better userspace memory allocation than other OS's

5. apps are all made in the flutter language, normally used in android and ios.

6. very fast boot ups.

Bad Points

1. Not ready yet

2. The only UI is a developer shell

3. Worst of all. ( @LinusTech would hate this) It lacks full AMD CPU support (no virtualization)

Creator Of DahliaOS - The First FuchsiaOS Fork

Why tho

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

SOooo basically it only exist in case Google wants to maybe someday possibly not use Linux?   Since they are now trying to bring the version of Linux used in Android in sync with the mainline they seem to be going to the other way.  

I'd be interested in a video on it.  But I care about OS's most folks don't.

@Uttamattamakin

I have talked to the google devs on freenode (#fuchsia) 

They do say they are trying differen't ideas on operating system kernels.

They are bringing android to fuchsia... not much to do with that but a few commits. But nothing big.

@Arika S

from what you've said, there is literally no good points to using it.

Well you don't even use it yet, it's still in development. FuchsiaOS is a mircokernel based OS which there is not many. Fuchsia is based off the LK (little kernel) project. HaikuOS is similar using a hybrid microkernel.

Back to the point. 

Maybe true there is not many reasons to "use" it. But lots of opportunitys to learn how a microkernel works. And for opensource development.

Google are trying something different and thats the point. It's not linux or BSD it's something totally new. And it's better for userspace memory allocation. It's kernel (zircon) is snappy it boots in less than 4 secconds. (Maybe less)

It's truely a magnificent opensource project by google.

also tbh... I need to edit the main bit for main points... I got a bit too carried away again.

6 minutes ago, Camden Bruce said:

@Arika S

Well you don't even use it yet, it's still in development. FuchsiaOS is a mircokernel based OS which there is not many. Fuchsia is based off the LK (little kernel) project. HaikuOS is similar using a hybrid microkernel.

Back to the point. 

Maybe true there is not many reasons to "use" it. But lots of opportunitys to learn how a microkernel works. And for opensource development.

Google are trying something different and thats the point. It's not linux or BSD it's something totally new. And it's better for userspace memory allocation. It's kernel (zircon) is snappy it boots in less than 4 secconds. (Maybe less)

It's truely a magnificent opensource project by google.

Might not be so much an LTT thing.  They seem to be more hardware geeks than software nerds.   
(We ... we're all OK with that here though right? We all know what we are.)

Yeah thats fine. I just do a lot of development with fuchsia and I wanted to share my excitement.

3 hours ago, Camden Bruce said:

It's not a unix based kernel, neither is it nt based.

This is not an advantage in itself. Most operating systems, including (but not limited to) Plan 9, Haiku, Linux, DOS and the Hurd, use a kernel that is neither Unix-based nor NT-based. Also, what's wrong with NT's design, for example?

it's main graphics driver is vulkan, not opengl.

If only there were more than two "graphics drivers"! Oh, wait - there are? ;)

the kernel is a microkernel

This is (finally) a good point, actually. I find microkernels - like Minix's and the Hurd's - rather amazing from a technical point of view. The merits for less tech-literate "end users" are relatively small though.

better userspace memory allocation than other OS's

Compared to which ones?

apps are all made in the flutter language

You mean Dart? This is not an advantage in my opinion. I would prefer to choose the language myself. Android, for example, gives me some freedom here, I can write Android apps in quite a lot of different languages - the only additional requirement is glue code to plug them into the Java-based UI framework.

very fast boot ups.

This is not an inherent advantage of a certain operating system.

Not ready yet

For what?

Write in C.

I wonder what google is trying to do with it. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 12/17/2019 at 2:53 AM, wasab said:

I wonder what google is trying to do with it. 

It may have been as an experiment or insurance against Linux doing things it does not like.  

4 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

It may have been as an experiment or insurance against Linux doing things it does not like.  

I don't see how that can be a problem. If anything, it is the other way around. Google is doing a lot of things the Linux community doesn't like. 

Sudo make me a sandwich