Pokemon Sword/Shield kinda sucks (if you think about it)

jaytrl
29 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Lets say it is, unless you worked on the modeling for the game, how are you sure that they didn’t remake the models because the old ones didn’t work correctly with the updated game engine?

So you are implying that they remade the models perfectly 1:1 to the older, including making them 3DS quality? I would say that is even less likely. That would be really stupid.

The hardest part would be the textures, but most pokemon uses really simple ones, so that's not that hard to upscale and fix any issues that might be visible and make them look good enough.

11 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

So you are implying that they remade the models perfectly 1:1 to the older, including making them 3DS quality?

The models used for the 3DS are significantly higher quality than the 3DS could leverage. So, if they did, I still don’t see an issue.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

they already have your money. They will get your money again with the next shitty release. Its called chasing the dragon. They will never give you the game you are seeking. They will keep selling you crappy games because you will forever seek the original high.

59 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

except its worse than the hand held versions in a lot of ways. the story in pokemon games have never been something to write home about but sword and shield's story has been significantly weaker. there zero depth and i dont really feel close to any of the characters are the end and believe me its super easy to get me attached to a character. and the game has no challenge at all i went through most gyms and battles with one of my pokemon fainting except for the rock gym in which he got 3 critical hits in a row one shotting 3 of my pokemon and i still managed to beat him with 2 pokemon. i wanted it to at least be just as good as the hand held games and it fails at even that. 

This sounds bog standard for the handheld games anyway.

"The story has zero depth" - Well yeah. The story's always been "go get badges, go beat up the 'Team' because they want to take over the world, go win against the Elite 4 and the Champion"

"game has no challenge at all" - I can't recall any Pokemon game that was remotely challenging because literally all you have to do is figure out what the next boss specializes in, figure out what level the game expects your team to be at, and take one or two Pokemon at said level or above who can beat the type the boss uses. The only difficulty the game has is the leveling curve.

Relatively speaking against other RPGs I've played, Pokemon is boring as hell. It's a game meant for 6 year olds to play. The thing they have to learn for the MSQ of the game is learning the type chart because all it is is a giant 17-way rock-paper-scissors game.

1 minute ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

"The story has zero depth" - Well yeah. The story's always been "go get badges, go beat up the 'Team' because they want to take over the world, go win against the Elite 4 and the Champion"

"game has no challenge at all" - I can't recall any Pokemon game that was remotely challenging because literally all you have to do is figure out what the next boss specializes in, figure out what level the game expects your team to be at, and take one or two Pokemon at said level or above who can beat the type the boss uses. The only difficulty the game has is the leveling curve.

Relatively speaking against other RPGs I've played, Pokemon is boring as hell. It's a game meant for 6 year olds to play. The only real difficulty curve to the MSQ of the game is learning the type chart because all it is is a giant 17-way rock-paper-scissors game.

except there isnt really a team unless you count the team yell guys and i dont really count the chairman since theres only a problem with him for one scene. ive gotten stomped by cynthia and there were times in sun and moon where i had to do some planning in sword and shield i dont even really have to worry about type advantages my super effective pokemon against the rock gym got one shot by lucky crit hits and i still managed to easily wipe him

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

except there isnt really a team unless you count the team yell guys and i dont really count the chairman since theres only a problem with him for one scene. ive gotten stomped by cynthia and there were times in sun and moon where i had to do some planning in sword and shield i dont even really have to worry about type advantages my super effective pokemon against the rock gym got one shot by lucky crit hits and i still managed to easily wipe him

I'm surprised you even bothered picking up the game. I thought you were convinced Game Freak wasn't going to give you what you wanted. So instead of voting with your wallet to express your complaints, you just went ahead bought the game going in with the low expectations and zoning in on the faults you can find to further dig yourself deeper in what you believe.

So are you just upset you wasted your money supporting the company that you were so certain wasn't going to give you what you want? Because that's what it sounds like.

6 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm surprised you even bothered picking up the game. I thought you were convinced Game Freak wasn't going to give you what you wanted. So instead of voting with your wallet to express your complaints, you just went ahead bought the game going in with the low expectations and zoning in on the faults you can find to further dig yourself deeper in what you believe.

So are you just upset you wasted your money supporting the company that you were so certain wasn't going to give you what you want? Because that's what it sounds like.

guess i can never win. if i dont buy the game you would say well you never played the game so you cant say anything and if i get the game to see how it actually is you say oh you are just bitter. no i gave the game a fair chance and i even said in my post that the models and animation isnt a deal breaker and it could still be a great game despite that but it isnt. and i dont care about 60 dollars i gave away 300 dollars to a charity last week. 

2 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

And every franchise with a series that attempts to keep some semblance of past iterations has the same issue of being "samey", but those "same" things is what makes that franchise unique.

I agree, and it seems especially true for Pokemon granted it's one of the longest running franchises in gaming history, so we've probably a lot more exposure to these games than say... Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. I understand they have to balance consumer demand for iterative improvements while not alienating everyone with drastic changes to the core design. However, Sword & Shield fell really hard into that trap. It feels more faithful to the original design of GameBoy's Red & Blue than Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, despite the fact that Pikachu/Eevee takes place in Kanto. Basically, we were hoping for evolution, but the franchise is holding onto an Everstone (BAM!).

If this was the state of Pokemon maybe 10 years ago, I would have been delighted. But it feels like we've taken a huge leap backward in design regardless of the marginal steps forward in graphical fidelity. 

Also, hello from San Gabriel Valley fellow Californian. :D

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Relatively speaking against other RPGs I've played, Pokemon is boring as hell. It's a game meant for 6 year olds to play. The thing they have to learn for the MSQ of the game is learning the type chart because all it is is a giant 17-way rock-paper-scissors game.

You obviously never play rom hacks in which trainer team often consists of level 1 studry Arons that will sandstorm, endeavor, and murder your lvl 100 legendary. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

its not awful its just not good and in many ways its worse than previous games

That sounds like awful to me.

4 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So... you enjoyed the game, but then read someone wrote a piece about a hypothetical game that could have existed, which in turn made you deny your own experience and retroactively overwrite it with a negative one?

It sounds a bit like:

- I'm dating this girl, she's beautiful! :)

- Well... she's not Scarlett Johansson, though :dry:

- True... man, I hate this girl! :(

Hey I mean, she gotta be hot though right?

#Muricaparrotgang

9 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Why should I have to play a ROM hack to get a challenge?

Because all based games are design to be easy.  Heck, no Pokemons are even max levels, not even elite 4. Post game materials are where Pokemon actually challenge you competitivly. You have access to battle frontiers and multiplayers by this point in which you need to know all the tricks and strategies of Pokemon to succeed, not just throwing higher lvl Pokemon with type advantage at something.

You can legit send a legendary fire type against a lowly grass type like Bellsprout and your opponent will either one hit KO it at first turn or use stalling moves that will disable your stronger Pokemons and wither its health until it dies. It isn't uncommon to see one fast Pokemon boosted by 3 sword dances that just sweep wipe your entire 6 poke teams. Not just a game of rock paper and scissor by this point. 

Real competitive players spent vast amount of time ev train Pokemon and breeding them from eggs with the proper iv values as well picking battle items and egg moves. 

Edited by LogicalDrm
Typos

Sudo make me a sandwich 

11 minutes ago, wasab said:

Because all based games are design to be easy.  Heck, no Pokemons are even max levels, not even elite 4. Post game materials are where Pokemon actually challenge you competitivly. You have access to battle frontiers and multiplayers by this point in which you need to know all the tricks and strategies of Pokemon to succeed, not just throwing higher lvl Pokemon with type advantage at something.

You can legit send a legendary fire type against a lowly grass type like Bellsprout and your opponent will either one hit KO it at first turn or use stalling moves that will disable your stronger Pokemons and wither its health until it dies. It isn't uncommon to see one fast Pokemon boosted by 3 sword dances that just sweep wipe your entire 6 poke teams. Not just a game of rock paper and scissor by this point.

... So again, why do I need a ROM hack to get a challenge if you spelled it out right here?

6 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

... So again, why do I need a ROM hack to get a challenge if you spelled it out right here?

for making the base game challenging. No one wants to wait until post games for challenges. I just want an elite 4 with max 100 lvl pokemons and gym leaders that will throw 6 maxed ev trained Pokemons at you. Fire type gym leaders will have a balacne team that can one hit ko even water types and ground types that are levels higher than them in these battles. They are modified to use strategies, moves, Pokemon, and battle items that are meta from competitive matches. Beating them are a real accomplishment. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Try the rom hacks. In these games, NPC trainers will troll battle you like in this video

Sudo make me a sandwich 

*** Thread cleaned ***

Stay on topic and keep the pickering somewhere else.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't know that it's reasonable to evaluate a game for what it could have been. Many games could be way better than they are if they wouldn't have had to consider time or budget constraints, but that's just not how it works. Given Nintendo and Gamefreak's record with the Pokemon franchise, I think many people simply overestimated what this game could've been. If there were any desire to make a big, all-encompassing Pokemon title featuring a lot of what fans (myself included) wished for (multiple regions, Pokemon following you, a complete Pokedex, etc), then there would've always been the opportunity to create it. Pokemon has always been artifically limited to handheld devices, but it could've easily been the next AAA home console title in full 3D.

Whatever their reason for not doing it may be, in the meantime there'll be incremental Pokemon titles every couple of years. I think it's fine to like them, and by no means are they ever truly bad games. I can see why people are disappointed though, a franchise the size of Pokemon could easily be expected to be treated way differently.

That's the norm for Pokemon games – continue milking same old, bad and dead concept as long as people will buy it.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Making a MMO would finally do what Pokemon GO failed to do : Connect people around pokemon.

They've built a huge lore and world around Pokemon, yet we are still limited to a solo adventure in a small region ? Just seeing people sharing the same world as me in PRO was a game changer. Just imagine an official game with some gameplay innovations, maybe with some interactions with GO ?

Either way, the OG pokemon way seems to be reaching its limits.

1 hour ago, tankyx said:

Making a MMO would finally do what Pokemon GO failed to do : Connect people around pokemon.

I would argue online communities do that just fine. And if anything else, I believe the multiplayer aspect of Pokemon has been primarily designed around the idea that you should go out and meet people.

1 hour ago, tankyx said:

They've built a huge lore and world around Pokemon, yet we are still limited to a solo adventure in a small region ? Just seeing people sharing the same world as me in PRO was a game changer. Just imagine an official game with some gameplay innovations, maybe with some interactions with GO ?

I don't see how seeing any other PCs in the world would change anything, especially if there's little to no content that revolves around doing something with said PCs other than PvP (which I don't care for either).

Plus again, an MMO requires a lot of resources to start up and maintain. How do you expect them to handle it? I'd rather not have microtransactions or subscription fees in a mainline Pokemon game.

17 hours ago, wasab said:

Try the rom hacks. In these games, NPC trainers will troll battle you like in this video

i would be interested in a randomizer

15 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i would be interested in a randomizer

You get trollish lvl 1s that endeavor and quick attack as well as annoying stalker that stun, disable, encore, and toxic or Pokemons that will just OHKO in one turn in these hack roms.

The base game as well as the story remains the same, all these hacks do are jacking up the difficulties. Just Google up something like star sapphire or  supernova sun. Trainers have Pokemons that are Max in their EVs and gym leaders all have Pokemons natures, abilities, characteristics EVs, and dual typings that are meta in competive matches. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 12/4/2019 at 12:50 PM, JZStudios said:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since someone beat the final four in Gold and then just literally said "Hey, I beat this, you want it?"

But I'm thinking... Persona 5 had pretty good reviews, and relatively speaking the personas don't do shit. They all have an idle animation and an "active" animation. Thinking about how many Pokemon there are and how many attacks they get over time, that's a pretty insane amount of animation depending on how detailed they get with it. Even something simple like the sand swipe or whatever that a large amount of them have would need to be an individual animation for each one. And then things like TMs or HMs that you can apply to a large portion of them also need to be accounted for each.

That being said, I haven't seen the Pokemon games to know how awful it is.

I get it, that it takes a lot of time, but they didn't even try. And Pokemon grossed them more than a Billion dollars. They've got the money and they've got the time. They just suck imo.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:11 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

So... you enjoyed the game, but then read someone wrote a piece about a hypothetical game that could have existed, which in turn made you deny your own experience and retroactively overwrite it with a negative one?

It sounds a bit like:

- I'm dating this girl, she's beautiful! :)

- Well... she's not Scarlett Johansson, though :dry:

- True... man, I hate this girl! :(

Yeah. Is that a problem? I agreed with what I read and it changed the way I viewed my Pokemon Shield experience. Yeah, just like how if a man sees a hotter girl, he'll want to leave her for the hotter chick. 

You've never seen something disgusting while you were hungry and eating that made you lose your appetite? You've never read something that changed your perspective on something you haven't noticed before? 

We're talking about whether or not everyone in this forum enjoyed Pokemon Sword/Shield or not, and you're here criticizing other people about stuff that has nothing to do with the actual subject. This is just my opinion. What's yours, regarding Pokemon Sword/Shield? 

5 hours ago, jaytrl said:

I get it, that it takes a lot of time, but they didn't even try. And Pokemon grossed them more than a Billion dollars. They've got the money and they've got the time. They just suck imo.

Maybe. How many Pokemon are in the game, multiplied by a conservative estimate of 10 moves each...

According to Google, Sword/Shield has 400 Pokemon. That's 4000 independent animations right there. I was going to argue that there's evolutions, but logically even evolutions would need their own animations for carryover attacks.

https://pokemondb.net/pokebase/298985/how-many-moves-can-the-average-pokemon-learn

According to this site, because of course some one's already asked this question, the average Pokemon can learn literally anywhere from 20 to 58 to 73.

So, doing the math, that's 8,000, 23,200, or 29,200. Any one of those figures would be insane. Especially considering most would have to be done by hand. Even for a billion dollars, that's frankly what's technically called a fucking ludicrous amount. Anywhere from 4,000 to 30,000 animations is a little intense.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Sword/Shield has 400 Pokemon. -snip- I was going to argue that there's evolutions,

Evolutions are counted in that 400.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.