Ultimate overkill

Leon Ramesa

Linus could a possibly chat with you? I want to build a benchmark killer but I am not sure about some bottlenecks that might occur and I don't want to bottlenecks anything.

I'm looking to put anywhere between 8 and 16 Samsung's 970 Evo plus ssds (250gb) in raid zero.

Now, ddr5 has throughput of 32gb/s. My question is: is that for a single Chanel, would that be 64gbs for dual Chanel or 128gbs for quad channel memory.

Would there be a bottlenecks in the chipset?

Would there be a bottlenecks in the pcie?

Would there be a bottlenecks in the CPU?

Also I would put 32gb of ddr5  for caching.

Any word of smt4 for ryzen threadpiper?

Also I would use one or two best amds gpus at the time.

And what do you think about water-cooling CPU and gpus separately, would that effective double the cooling performance?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I would appreciate any help I could get. I really plan on doing this in 2 or three years.

I will be following this post.

Thanks everyone.

Ok, so after considering the comments ill go for something like:

Ryzen 7 3800x

corsair 150i pro

Asus strix x570e gaming

32gb corsair dominator ddr5(im building the pc next summer, so i hope itll be out by then, same goes for the graphics card, probably a newer cpu and mb, this is just an aproximation)

rx 5900xt

seasonic 1200w prime platinum

i alreadi have fractal define r6

i already have 970 evo 250gb but i might go for

970 evo plus 500gb

i already have 4tb of hdds 

what do you think

Edited by Leon Ramesa
Taking in consideration the comments.

1 minute ago, Leon Ramesa said:

I'm looking to put anywhere between 8 and 16 Samsung's 970 Evo plus ssds (250gb) in raid zero.

That would be one of the biggest money waste I've seen on this forum this month.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

That would be one of the biggest money waste I've seen on this forum this month.

What was the biggest waste of money last month?

7 minutes ago, Leon Ramesa said:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-knpa-u16-amd-epyc-7000-series/p/N82E16813119178

or even better get a motherboard like this and put in 2TB of ram and use some of them as a ramdisk :P

14 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-knpa-u16-amd-epyc-7000-series/p/N82E16813119178

or even better get a motherboard like this and put in 2TB of ram and use some of them as a ramdisk :P

Ram is volatile, I would have to copy everything to ramdisk on a daily basis, doesn't work for me, but maybe, if there is too much bottleneck on the chipset. Thanks

What's the use case?

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

28 minutes ago, Leon Ramesa said:

Linus could a possibly chat with you? I want to build a benchmark killer but I am not sure about some bottlenecks that might occur and I don't want to bottlenecks anything.

That's kinda dumb. You'll increase the sequential transfer speed, but small reads and writes will remain slowish once you get to a high enough number. 

Threadripper has 64 pci-e lanes, out of which 4 are reserved for the connection to chipset. So you are left with 60 pci-e lanes.

Most motherboards support bifurcation, at least into 2 x8, but some support 4 x4 - that's how those Hyper M.2 cards from Asus work, they take a pci-e x16 slot and take advantage of bifurcation support to split the 16 lanes into 4  x4 groups, for 4 M.2 SSDs.

So in theory, you could have 60 / 4 = 15 M.2 SSDs. In practice, probably not all pci-e slots will support bifurcation, or some pci-e lanes are used internally on the board for stuff like 10g ethernet, extra usb 3.1 gen 2 controllers etc.

But even if you do get to install those M.2 SSDs, I'm not sure you can do a RAID 0 with M.2 drives. If you can, I doubt you can do it with SSDs on multiple pci-e slots.. 

Now, ddr5 has throughput of 32gb/s. My question is: is that for a single Chanel, would that be 64gbs for dual Chanel or 128gbs for quad channel memory.

DDR5 is in the future. If you're thinking of GDDR5, that's for video cards. Right now we're using DDR4

DDR4 transfers at a maximum  of 2 bits per Hz x interface bus width x real frequency.

If we go with something realistic like 3000 Mhz, we have real frequency of 1500 Mhz and each memory stick is 64 bit wide, so the maximum transfer speed would be 1,500,000,000 Hz x 2 bits per Hz x 64 bit wide bus = 192,000,000,000 bits per second or 24,000,000,000 bytes/s = 24 GB/s or 22.35 GiB/s

Dual channel means CPU reads and writes from 2 memory sticks at same time, so maximum theoretic speeds of 48 GB/s ... for quad channel DDR4 you would have 96 GB /s maximum theoretical speed... again, for 3000 Mhz memory sticks (1500 Mhz real frequency)

These are theoretical maximums, in real world you're probably gonna get within 90-95% of these numbers with long sequential transfers. If you read and write data randomly in RAM, just like with SSDs and hard drives, you won't get these speeds.

Each time the processor makes a  request to get some data or put some data in memory, the RAM spends a few of those Hz to "get ready" and then it can accept a flow of bits from processor, or send a burst of bits to the processor.

The more random requests, the more the ram will waste time preparing to do stuff, or look up data in the memory cells.

Theres also other technicalities , like for example if a core on Threadripper requests data from ram that's on the memory controller on the other CCX then you may have increased latency when reading data from that ram stick... it's beyond the scope of this post

Would there be a bottlenecks in the chipset?

Chipset connects to the CPU with a pci-e x4 link, which means 4 GB/s (for pci-e 3.0)... with pci-e 4.0, you may have double.

If you read from a M.2 SSD that's connected to chipset and from 4-6 SATA SSDs at the same time, you may saturate the 4 GB/s going to the CPU.

Would there be a bottlenecks in the pcie?

Would there be a bottlenecks in the CPU?

You would probably have bottlenecks in the Infinity fabric (the connection that links pci-e to cpu and ram) on AMD systems and on Intel there's something similar. I don't know the peak values.

Also I would put 32gb of ddr5  for caching.

Any word of smt4 for ryzen threadpiper?

There's no such thing as ddr5 yet , as least for AMD systems.

No SMT4 on threadripper.  Milan (the EPYC cpus after Rome) were supposed to get it, but didn't see it in latest roadmaps.

Either way, SMT4 is in theory worst for peak performance, but better for throughput ... if you want to win benchmarks you don't want SMT4

Also I would use one or two best amds gpus at the time.

nvidia cards would be higher performance at the moment. Even though AMD has pci-e 4.0, the nvidia cards are faster with pci-e 3.0 at the moment.

If AMD releases something better than 5700xt, maybe you'd go with that.

There's also professional radeon cards with 16 GB or 32 GB of memory and on which you could install an additional SSD to store textures and stuff without going through the pci-e bus to local ram and storage

Unless you have applications that can fill more than 8 GB of video card memory such cards would be useless to you

And what do you think about water-cooling CPU and gpus separately, would that effective double the cooling performance?

Won't make much of a difference. you can get 7000 rpm delta fans and cool stuff system better than using watercooling, would be noisy but cooler. 

But for the M.2s some fans blowing air over them will be enough. Video cards, same story, they could work just fine with air cooling.

There's other solutions that work better than liquid cooling, like that 3M  liquid which would allow you to submerge everything in that liquid and cool better.

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

-snip-

Smt4 or not, I'm good either way, I'm looking to build this in a couple of years so ddr5 is gonna be available. I'm looking to futurproof(I know there's no such thing) this machine for about 10 years and most importantly build something I'd be proud of, something that I can show off and something that I can use to draw customer later on as I am looking forward to making money from building PC's.

4 hours ago, Leon Ramesa said:

Smt4 or not, I'm good either way, I'm looking to build this in a couple of years so ddr5 is gonna be available. I'm looking to futurproof(I know there's no such thing) this machine for about 10 years and most importantly build something I'd be proud of, something that I can show off and something that I can use to draw customer later on as I am looking forward to making money from building PC's.

Also I'm looking to hit 100fps in 4k later 8k

4 minutes ago, Leon Ramesa said:

Just wanna note uh... there is a slight difference between 4K and 8K in terms of how hard they are to run... 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

There's no point in even thinking about stuff like this until you're ready to build, especially if you're talking about years down the line. Way too much will change. We have no idea what products will come out or what their performance will be. You didn't even think of Intel GPUs which may crush what AMDs got. 

I don't think there's much point in RAID0 that many drives. Larger SSDs get better performance, so you're already at a deficit there. Plus you're exponentially increasing the risk of failure for what? Performance that means nothing in real world use? 

Customers will be impressed with the value you provide. Excellent service, excellent prices. Not that you can dump tons of money into something pointless. On a side note, don't count on that as primary income. You can make money, sure, but it's not a living. 

It's fun to dream, but really, you're not going to get anything useful. Merely wild speculation. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, Leon Ramesa said:

In what?

You don't appear to be an extremely wealthy person who can just throw away money like this. What on earth makes you want to do this? Have you considered the other things you could do with the astronomic amount this would cost you?

6 minutes ago, Leon Ramesa said:

build something I'd be proud of

There's nothing to be proud of here; anyone with a load of money could get expensive stuff and show off. There's no extra skill or knowledge required. Just the fact that it's more expensive, doesn't make its existence more impressive than that of some cheap rig (and perhaps the cheap rig is actually more impressive depending on how good the deal was)

You could be proud of the ability to afford the thing (basically how rich you are), but then you don't even need a computer, you may as well buy a block of pure gold. 

16 minutes ago, Leon Ramesa said:

something that I can show off and something that I can use to draw customer later on as I am looking forward to making money from building PC's.

That's one hell of an expensive item for drawing customers' attention. Also about building computers for a living (if that's your plan) that's perhaps harder than you'd think. Building computers is great as a learning process, and I recommend everyone does it, but it's not exactly a skill anyone is looking for; unless you want a job at an assembly line.

Most people just buy laptops and prebuilts, and this especially goes for the enterprise. Those who are savvy enough to know that they want a custom rig, are often clever enough to build the thing themselves, or they already know someone who can do it for them. This leaves an extremely small market segment for folks who "want to make money building PCs", 

26 minutes ago, Leon Ramesa said:

Planning a build for 2-3 years from today is pointless.  Tech moves so fast you'll be WAY behind the curve.  Additionally, no build will last 10 years without being horribly outdated.

You can build something a LOT more reasonable and still be proud of it.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

4 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Planning a build for 2-3 years from today is pointless.  Tech moves so fast you'll be WAY behind the curve.  Additionally, no build will last 10 years without being horribly outdated.

^^^ Can attest to this. I have X58 hardware (2009, exactly 10 years ago) and sure it still works (I even ran a 1080 TI with my X5670 once, lmao), but a heavily OCed hexacore struggles to catch a stock R5 1600, and they're missing many instruction sets and also only run SATA 2 (the SATA 3 controllers on this gen were all shit) and USB 2.0 for the most part, unless you get PCIe add-in cards. Also on PCIe 2.0 vs the newer and much faster 3.0 (and now 4.0 and IIRC 5.0 with Intel's 2021 stuff?). You can make a rig last 10 years pretty easily if you go for HEDT stuff at first, but it'll be struggling to keep up with midrange systems near the end of that time. 

7 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

You can build something a LOT more reasonable and still be proud of it.

Yos! I'm pretty proud of my X99 based rig, and at this point (counting only what's in it, not other stuff I've accumulated over time and swapped in and out)... it's probably around $2K or so in the rig? And a good chunk of that would be due to running a custom loop, not purely hardware. Currently a j-bin 5960X (swapping it in tonight/tomorrow, rig has a 5820K right now), 32GB RAM, and an RVII. Pretty reasonable high end rig, and plenty beefy enough to be damn proud of. 

Heck, really you can be proud of anything. Back when I ran an i5 2400 and 1050 Ti I was pretty proud about that build, I just love hardware and muh eye candy so I've continued to upgrade since then, also as I've accumulated harder to run games. There's no need to waste masses of money making a completely impractical and difficult to use rig unless you only ever plan to bench. And in that case I'd say you should build your main rig first, then build a benching specific one as a secondary. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch