LinusTechTips SI?

LilRamenCHS

With the whole new workshop, and 30 employees, why not just become a System Integrator? They have the resources to make custom PCs with custom branding, and could probably charge a bit of a surplus. Maybe just make cases?

3 minutes ago, LilRamenCHS said:

With the whole new workshop, and 30 employees, why not just become a System Integrator? They have the resources to make custom PCs with custom branding, and could probably charge a bit of a surplus. Maybe just make cases?

Linus would have to many RMA after dropping everything...

LSI doesn't have the same ring to it.

Just because you have 30 employees doesn't mean you need to do something else.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, LilRamenCHS said:

because they are a media company

There's really not enough money for the time + employee + support that this requires.
Esp with how many SI there aleready are..

(Heck, I'm pretty sure they already talked about that not being a thing some time ago)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

It's the worst business ever. So much overhead, so little reward, so much that can go wrong. 

I think it was maingear that tried to do a crowdfunded round of investor funding a couple years back and their financials were like... Not investment-worthy

Just now, LinusTech said:

It's the worst business ever. So much overhead, so little reward, so much that can go wrong. 

I think it was maingear that tried to do a crowdfunded round of investor funding a couple years back and their financials were like... Not investment-worthy

THE GOD KING HATH SPOKEN

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

We've all seen Alex and his heatsinks. Not a good idea at the moment.

20 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

There's really not enough money for the time + employee + support that this requires.
Esp with how many SI there aleready are..

(Heck, I'm pretty sure they already talked about that not being a thing some time ago)

19 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Well with over 9 million subscribers (probably 3-4 million that pay attention actively) you do have an audience and a foot in the door. Especially with ties to Corsair and other SI's you could probably get some help. Yeah it does take a lot to break into an industry basically owned by like Dell, Apple, and HP but maybe like very few custom PCs. Like build once a week and auction on the merch store would let you get a lot of overhead on profit if you make it a special thing like that. 

Either way thank you for responding mr Linus i'm a huge fan you've helped me a lot to learn about computers and get me the experience I have. ❤️❤️ 

7 minutes ago, LilRamenCHS said:

Well with over 9 million subscribers (probably 3-4 million that pay attention actively) you do have an audience and a foot in the door. Especially with ties to Corsair and other SI's you could probably get some help. Yeah it does take a lot to break into an industry basically owned by like Dell, Apple, and HP but maybe like very few custom PCs. Like build once a week and auction on the merch store would let you get a lot of overhead on profit if you make it a special thing like that. 

Either way thank you for responding mr Linus i'm a huge fan you've helped me a lot to learn about computers and get me the experience I have. ❤️❤️ 

Subscriber count matters not.
For the average view count per video never seems to exceed 1.5M (mostly around 1m, sometimes as low as 500k) 
But it doesn't matter tbh.
Remember, this community is very much tipped towards the "Build it yourself and be proud of it" side.

It's extremly expensive to run
it's a pain in the ass to have to deal with [This community's level of kid-telligeance] and the subsequent problems & returns & other kind of stupid crap these companies have to deal with.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

11 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

Subscriber count matters not.
For the average view count per video never seems to exceed 1.5M (mostly around 1m, sometimes as low as 500k) 
But it doesn't matter tbh.
Remember, this community is very much tipped towards the "Build it yourself and be proud of it" side.

It's extremly expensive to run
it's a pain in the ass to have to deal with [This community's level of kid-telligeance] and the subsequent problems & returns & other kind of stupid crap these companies have to deal with.

Understandable. LTT aside, what do you think of the concept of doing a specialized theme built PC every few weeks and selling for a markup. Like Mac Pro level specs, with a custom built case and handbuilt system being auctioned by someone with an influence? It'd be the weirdest flex to say like "Oh yeah my PC was custom built from the ground up by BitWit" or something lmao

9 minutes ago, LilRamenCHS said:

Understandable. LTT aside, what do you think of the concept of doing a specialized theme built PC every few weeks and selling for a markup. Like Mac Pro level specs, with a custom built case and handbuilt system being auctioned by someone with an influence? It'd be the weirdest flex to say like "Oh yeah my PC was custom built from the ground up by BitWit" or something lmao

People with that kind of budget will either build it themselves, or buy from a big company with full support deserving of that price point and pro level hardware. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

So I had an idea earlier for a SI or influencer, 

A completely unique and custom PC. Custom case built from scratch on a CNC with a theme of each, like one focused on storage, or on cooling. Also Mac Pro level specs like 2x Vega 64/Quadro - 128 GB + Xeon W / Threadripper. 
What'd be unique about it is one is built every 1-4 weeks and auctioned off with a reserve. 

TLDR - handmade PC with high quality and attention to detail with pro specs auctioned off every 1-4 weeks. 

EDIT : Probably by a current SI like IBuyPower or something since they have the resources.

Such a system would already be niche as a single unit, couple that with the much higher cost it would demand due to all the custom work there would be very very few potential buyers

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Such a system would already be niche as a single unit, couple that with the much higher cost it would demand due to all the custom work there would be very very few potential buyers

Yeah, it'd be a novelty but a thing for sure

I think LTT could sell or auction some speciality builds like sleepers, you can make a video on building the sleeper and then sell it on ebay to the highest bidder or something? Lots of people would love a RTX 2070 in a Xbox case lol

I could see them doing one-offs and such, particularly with custom cases and themed builds. But not for selling. If they were auctioned off they would always go for absurd amounts and end up in the hands of special few creating a vibe of elitism which is not what this community is about. They'd be better off just doing giveaways. But giveaways are a huge headache. I think it was Kyle (Bitwit) who recently talked about this, but between shipping and other issues it can cost more than the system is worth just to get it to the winner.

In the end it's just not worth the hassle to make a small number of people happy. Besides I think they'd rather keep their coolest creations in house.

I also think this would present a bit of conflict of interest with the youtube channel. Pretty hard to remain credible when reviewing things like towers from other SI companies when you yourself are making them. Best to keep a clear division between church and state.

overhead is too high, and the profit margins are too low.  they'd make a lot more money just sticking their logo on existing products (like they did with Noctua)

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.