Sleep mode Or Power Off?

Redrooster
Go to solution Solved by Redrooster,

it seems like one of those "choose for your self" type of deals. I think I am going to keep using the Sleep Mode while I sleep UNTIL I get an ssd later this year (when I finally get an ssd, I'll power it off when I go to sleep and only use sleep mode when Im out to lunch or something) Thanks for all of your feedback 

(I'm making this post on mobile and totally don't know how to delete a quote)

So I just built the PC I wanted to build for 5 years now, but there are two key purchases that I still need (a high refresh rate 1440p va monitor, and a high capacity sata SSD [at least 1TB])

I was wondering weather it's better for my parts to leave them on sleep mode while I sleep for 9 hours, or if I should power it off and just power it back on when I wake up?

To my understanding, the sleep feature suspends the last state it was in by using your Ram, does this put any noticeable wear and tear on your RAM? Or is it negligible at most?

I would be very glad to hear your opinions and why you think the way you do (hopefully with some evidence for your belief on if i should either reconsider using sleep mode while I go to sleep or not)

I heard something along the line of, "if you power it all the way off when you go to sleep and power it back on it accelerates the deterioration of your hard drives, but leaving it on sleep mode deteriorates your RAM quicker"

Can someone help put clarity on this argument? (My computer is normally on for most of the day)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

I usually put mine on sleep whenever I go to sleep, or if I'm going out, the only thing I noticed was that my PC would sometimes turn on on its own (screen remains off) because of something called update orchestrator service (which is important afaik)

I just let it do it's thing or I shut down my PC if I really need to (or if it keeps turning it back on after I manually put it to sleep again)

Just use the time you are sleeping for the computer to FOLD!!

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1091921-ltt-official-folding-month-2019/

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Just shut down I'd you are away for longer periods and sleep if you are just running to the store for an hour

literally does not matter. hardware and electronics has progressed to the point that any "wear" by either method is negligible 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

52 minutes ago, jason938 said:

This, but I would add a bit more thing: If you use shutdown & also unplug (or turn off from PSu) instead of sleeping, you will save more money for electricity bill. I don't know how it's for other computers, but for my gaming computer, if I turn it off, it still uses some power until I unplug it. I tested it once by turning off everything in my house except my PC and monitoring my electricity monitoring device. It was still running until I would unplug it.

Every PC uses the same amount of power when off and plugged in. It's 1W or so on the +5VSB rail. It's safe to ignore that as it won't amount to more than 1$ over the span of 10 years

3 minutes ago, jason938 said:

I tested mine and my wife's PCs and my wife's PC that doesn't have graphics card and has light specs (i3 cpu & one SSD) & my PC which has graphics card, plus 3 HDD and 1 SSD and my PC was running our electricity monitoring device much faster.

Under load yes, but the VSB only powers the boards power on circuitry

I shut it down whenever i don't need it for an hour or more.

Realy don't care if have to wait 20 seconds for it to fully boot.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

I always POWER OFF/SHUTDOWN my computers. There is no point to put the computer in the sleep for 10+ hours. I will let the computer sleep if I am away from the computer for a while (like less than 2 hrs). All my computers are using SSD and can boot in to Windows from power on within 20s. (some of them are under 10s) So put them in to sleep for faster boot/wake up time is also doesn't make sense too.

OTOH, my media server is always on.

6 hours ago, jason938 said:

This, but I would add a bit more thing: If you use shutdown & also unplug (or turn off from PSu) instead of sleeping, you will save more money for electricity bill. I don't know how it's for other computers, but for my gaming computer, if I turn it off, it still uses some power until I unplug it. I tested it once by turning off everything in my house except my PC and monitoring my electricity monitoring device. It was still running until I would unplug it.

did you turn off the furnace? the refrigerator? there are so many things that use power it is redicilous.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I completely power down if I'm going to be away for more than an hour, but that is because I am paranoid about power fluctuations negatively impacting my systems that aren't hooked up to my UPS. 

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

it seems like one of those "choose for your self" type of deals. I think I am going to keep using the Sleep Mode while I sleep UNTIL I get an ssd later this year (when I finally get an ssd, I'll power it off when I go to sleep and only use sleep mode when Im out to lunch or something) Thanks for all of your feedback 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming OC RAM: 32GB 3200mHz Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Display: Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" (2560p x 1440p) NVIDIA G-SYNC IPS MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK STORAGE: 120GB SSD boot drive, 10tb USB 3.0 Seagate game drive PSU: 650w Corsair CX CASE: NZXT H500i

I just shut it down.  SSD boot times are so fast that it really doesn't matter unless you're an uptime whore.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

1 minute ago, FezBoy said:

I just shut it down.  SSD boot times are so fast that it really doesn't matter unless you're an uptime whore.

that's what I'll probably do too when I get an SSD

What constitutes an "uptime whore"?

2 minutes ago, Redrooster said:

What constitutes an "uptime whore"?

Someone who brags about their thousands of hours of uptime.  I've never seen one, and pretty much made it up, but knowing enthusiasts it has to exist.

The only situations where uptime really matters are things like servers and folding, both of which are good reasons to keep it running at all times.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

2 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

Someone who brags about their thousands of hours of uptime.  I've never seen one, and pretty much made it up, but knowing enthusiasts it has to exist.

The only situations where uptime really matters are things like servers and folding, both of which are good reasons to keep it running at all times.

ah, makes sense. I'm definitely not one. my uptime is probably around 8 hours a day, maybe 12 on days where I'm not busy

I leave mine on but I lock it. I never bothered with that until one night I woke up a victim of the Teamviewer hack from 4 years ago. I was laying in bed and all of a sudden I get 3 emails on my phone about accounts and a 2FA push notification from Google. I look over at my desktop and windows are opening and closing with the mouse cursor moving around. I yanked the power from the wall and rebooted my computer with the network cable unplugged. They tried logging into my Steam account, paypal account, and email when they found out that I had 2FA and Steamguard active. I refuse to use Teamviewer now. 

3 hours ago, lloose said:

I leave mine on but I lock it. I never bothered with that until one night I woke up a victim of the Teamviewer hack from 4 years ago. I was laying in bed and all of a sudden I get 3 emails on my phone about accounts and a 2FA push notification from Google. I look over at my desktop and windows are opening and closing with the mouse cursor moving around. I yanked the power from the wall and rebooted my computer with the network cable unplugged. They tried logging into my Steam account, paypal account, and email when they found out that I had 2FA and Steamguard active. I refuse to use Teamviewer now. 

That's some scary stuff mate

I’d only use Sleep mode if I had HDD, as I’d understand that cold booting into Windows can take some time and if I had some important apps opened or some work that I needed to do but need to go to sleep at night.

I dislike the blinking LED lights in my room, so I turn my PCs off.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…