Dyeing Noctua Fans.

Winther

I dont really have a lot of good photos for this, but I just though it might give someone else some ideas.

Keep in mind that this probably good render your fans unusable.

I bought some noctua fans last summer becuase I wanted the best performance without the sound, I didnt really mind the colors, but later I didnt like that they where so easy to see through the top of the 600T. So i decided i wanted to dye them. I just didnt want to take them apart because they are sealed so dust cant efter the motor. So I decided to try and just dye them without takaing them apart, and here are the results.

I ofcourse let them dry before using them. Packed them in a towel and put them on the radiator for 48 hours.

I used black Rit powder dye, one bag of it in total. :)

zxUlVmWl.jpg

7g51uUsl.jpg

Su86LADl.jpg

And then the result:

d9eC9PIl.jpg

lx1mlZRl.jpg

(Comming soon)

So they remain quiet and well performing despite the fact that you didn't take them apart?

Pretty cool.

Ohhh, that kind of dying, I thought they were kaput. Looks much more sleek though, if you could get them as black as possible then that would definately be awesome!

Yeah I think everyone wants to know how the performance held up through that process...

Oh, sorry! I guess that is pretty important.

They held up fine! really fine! I didnt expect them to work after 1½-two hours in the oven at 150 degrees celcius.

I think it would be possible to get them even darker by adding another bag of color.

And I dont know if other models, such as the NF-F12's can go through this process. These are the NF-S12B's, and before anyone comments on it, I know they are not pressure optimzed.. :)

(Comming soon)

Nice 600t i hate mine lol i dont know how to setup a 360 rad on the top lol can u pm me tips pls

Aren't you supposed to take them apart and boil them on the stove? You're lucky they still work xD

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

They are still pretty brown not fully black like iv seen in some pictures but they still look better then before. Do they work 100% like they did new?

from the RIT Dye website: LINKY

This technique delivers the best color results when dyeing with black or other dark colors.
  1. Fill pot with enough hot water for fabric to move freely. Remember: Use 1 package of Rit powder or 1/2 bottle of Rit liquid dye and 3 gallons of hot water for each pound of fabric. Pre-dissolve powder in 2 cups of hot water. Add pre-dissolved powder or liquid to dye bath. Stir to mix.
  2. Wet fabric in hot water. Uncrumple and add to dye bath.
  3. Bring dye bath to simmer. Stir constantly (back and forth, up and down) at least 30 minutes.
  4. Rinse in warm water, then gradually cooler water until water runs clear. Wash item in warm water with mild detergent and rinse thoroughly in cool water.
  5. Dry item in dryer or hang to dry.
  6. Clean containers immediately with chlorine bleach. Scrub with chlorine-based powder, liquid, or gel cleanser, if necessary.

substitute the word fan for the word fabric. do not uncrumple the fan...

just some helpful hints from Heloise..

airdeano

Nice 600t i hate mine lol i dont know how to setup a 360 rad on the top lol can u pm me tips pls

Sure. Its pretty easy though. Get a dremel, the cheapest one isnt expensive really.. Then cut out the metal and plastic there the rad would be. The front fan is just attached to the rad and not at all to the case. PM me if you want more detail, but dont know if I can give you that much more detail. :)

Aren't you supposed to take them apart and boil them on the stove? You're lucky they still work xD

Yahr, but I didnt want to take them apart, and thought since they are sealed, they might survive it.. :P

And hot water is hot water, dont think it makes much difference if its in the oven or a pot. And I didnt want to potentialy destroy a pot..

They are still pretty brown not fully black like iv seen in some pictures but they still look better then before. Do they work 100% like they did new?

I know, like i said I think some more dye would have helped make them darker. As far as I can tell, yes.

I found that this really didnt work until I cranked the oven up to 150C.. started at 80, nothing hapened, then 100, still nothing, then I just cranked it up.

(Comming soon)

Yahr, but I didnt want to take them apart, and thought since they are sealed, they might survive it.. :P

And hot water is hot water, dont think it makes much difference if its in the oven or a pot. And I didnt want to potentialy destroy a pot..

Stainless steel pots don't stain.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I know, but I live with my grandmother so I didnt want to take the chance with one of her pots. And a disposable aluminum tray was just easier.. :)

(Comming soon)

For future reference: I'd recommend rinsing the fans with distilled water when you pull them from the dye, "pure" water doesn't hurt electronics when they are powered off, but the minerals deposited by tap water may be a problem when you power it up. Then spray it with some electronic contact cleaner to displace any remaining water to be safe. I used to run small motors in distilled water to clean them and never had one fail, you just have to be sure to lube the bearings which could be the biggest problem with fans.

I've found that liquid dye works much better and can turn parts pure black in under an hour, but I always do it in a pot on a stove top. 

$20 ones from Walmart do, but just go buy one and dedicate it to dying.

For future reference: I'd recommend rinsing the fans with distilled water when you pull them from the dye, "pure" water doesn't hurt electronics when they are powered off, but the minerals deposited by tap water may be a problem when you power it up. Then spray it with some electronic contact cleaner to displace any remaining water to be safe. I used to run small motors in distilled water to clean them and never had one fail, you just have to be sure to lube the bearings which could be the biggest problem with fans.

I agree. The iron content in normal tap water is what makes it conductive, if you use distilled water (de-ionized water) you won't short anything but over a long period of time the iron content will start to come back. As you said, just rinse, and then it's fine to use normal water :) 

This is why distilled water is so popular in water-cooling loops, as it won't kill your components if it leaks during its bleed.

zxUlVmWl.jpg

I kinda liked the first color better :p

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

So you're still getting the same temps as you would have when you didn't dye them? If so this is awesome news and I would love to try

I didnt actually take any record of the temps so I cant say. But the difference was very minimal if there where any.

But you should probably listen to what Scheer wrote, sounds very likely it would be better. :)

(Comming soon)

how well is it to put it in the oven for your cables?

Hi guys. So I have 8 Zalman ZM-F3 FDB fans. ZM-F3FDB_m_A7kISLioxlS3erXBlsFWTJbZ8ZNiD

I want to dye the frame Azure Blue (Or something like that), and Solid White blades. I know how to get the Blue, but what about the white. I found White dye on eBay, but it says that it's used for laundry. Take a look:            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rit-Dye-Powder-All-Purpose-Fabric-Color-Tinte-Laundry-Clothing-Jeans-U-Choose-/121041249863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=420121838091&hash=item1c2e9ee647

Will this work ? Do I need a bigger amount of dye to make the blades White ? I just want some simple instructions on how to do it :)

Help will be appreciated :D

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Hi guys. So I have 8 Zalman ZM-F3 FDB fans.

I want to dye the frame Azure Blue (Or something like that), and Solid White blades.

Will this work ? Do I need a bigger amount of dye to make the blades White ? I just want some simple instructions on how to do it

Help will be appreciated

your fan chassis is dense cast plastic and will not accept a dye. it'll just run off as there is no penetration.

same for the blade assemblies.. and they is no white dye, just bleach.. as your blade assemblies are also

plastic. the noctuas are nylon injected. the nylon is the material being dyed.

you'll need another fan choice.

another thing about dye is it'll take a dark color to cover dark (black). tinting a dark color base to

a lighter shade will not give you a lighter color. it'll only get darker.

airdeano

your fan chassis is dense cast plastic and will not accept a dye. it'll just run off as there is no penetration.

same for the blade assemblies.. and they is no white dye, just bleach.. as your blade assemblies are also

plastic. the noctuas are nylon injected. the nylon is the material being dyed.

you'll need another fan choice.

another thing about dye is it'll take a dark color to cover dark (black). tinting a dark color base to

a lighter shade will not give you a lighter color. it'll only get darker.

airdeano

Thank you Airdeano. Do you think that there is another way to paint my fans, other than spray, because I know that spray can increase the weight of the blades in certain places, and decrease performance. I would be glad to hear some suggestions. :)

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

painting can be successful when used sparingly. just not to allow the paint

to go on heavy and use light coats with fast strokes or an air brush with

pattern control.

airdeano