Tempered Glass Etching - Overwatch Mercy

Rune

I recently bought an SL600M to upgrade from an aging 900d. I wanted something that was kind of unique that wouldn't compromise on performance, but was smaller than the 1000D because jesus christ my desk. After getting everything mounted properly, I began to make a stencil (first time) for a free mercy design I found online. Unfortunately made the mistake of using the wrong side of the vinyl like an idiot and had to use an xacto to attempt to save the stencil and more or less ruined the first go, but I think it ended up being okay in the end. I think, with some more cable management, this will be my best looking system yet :) Hopefully my next project will go a bit smoother.

Parts:

CASE: Cooler Master SL600M

CPU: 9900k @ 5.2Ghz

MB: Z390 Aorus Xtreme

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600c17

SSD: 960 PRO 512gb || 2x Sandisk Extreme Pro 512gb

GPU: 2080ti FTW3 + Hydrocopper block

PSU: EVGA 850P2

RADIATORS AND COOLING: 2x EK Coolstream XTX 360 || EK Supremacy Evo || 6x Corsair ML 120 PRO Red

LIGHTING: Nzxt Hue+ || Custom Overwatch ssd covers :)

Link to build on b.gg : https://builds.gg/builds/overclocks-never-die-19897

And also, a link to my website where you can see other stuff I've done, or order one yourself :) https://ctgsetchings.wixsite.com/view

DSC_0342.thumb.PNG.fac0628af52f8da171631dd6beeb3b1f.PNG

DSC_0359.thumb.PNG.6ba46d9c0c6b8d1cce90fe3290b1c485.PNGDSC_0360.thumb.PNG.7ea42b1f903f97f70b0b02664ee5e0fb.PNG

Cool, how do you even do that?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Cool, how do you even do that?

It was etched with a mixture of barium sulfate, sodium bifluoride, and sulfuric acid. Basically just eats away the top layer of the glass and changes the diffraction of light when it hits that edge.

Just now, Rune said:

It was etched with a mixture of barium sulfate, sodium bifluoride, and sulfuric acid. Basically just eats away the top layer of the glass and changes the diffraction of light when it hits that edge.

Very cool

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

This is awesome!

8 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

This is awesome!

Thanks ^^

Edit: Slightly nicer looking pictures with a bit better cable management

Double edit: I am now wondering if I should flip the ssd covers to have blackwatch up top since the red is there. hm...

84720_1920.jpg

45 minutes ago, MikeEld83 said:

I would love to know where you got the SSD covers, I would love to use the OW one in my build.

I had coldzero make those for me. I'm not so good with internal LED's yet.

15 hours ago, Rune said:

I had coldzero make those for me. I'm not so good with internal LED's yet.

Thanks I'll look them up, and I'm totally going to etch my Cosmos II 25th when I get it now. Thanks for the insperation.

7 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

This is awesome!  Do you have a link to a instructions for the etching?

Nvidia actually did a pretty great step by step. They were the one I heard about this from, and with your tools I'm sure you could do it super easy :)

Edit: If you etch a dickbutt into a machine I'd love an inspirational namedrop ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this is super cool ?

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Just now, Rune said:

Thank you!

im struggeling to figure out what the bottom one is.

the one you posted above my comment.

the dude looks like the first integrity knight from sao alicization war of underworld.

but the girl looks like the red haired one from fairy tail

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

im struggeling to figure out what the bottom one is.

the one you posted above my comment.

the dude looks like the first integrity knight from sao alicization war of underworld.

but the girl looks like the red haired one from fairy tail

steins gate, my avatar

So, I have a laser cutter that I can use to do this sort of thing. I know you said you use a mix of chemicals to do the etching, but do you have any suggestions for "off the shelf" etching solutions? I'm not really confident mixing that stuff myself. 

7 hours ago, Mbowen said:

So, I have a laser cutter that I can use to do this sort of thing. I know you said you use a mix of chemicals to do the etching, but do you have any suggestions for "off the shelf" etching solutions? I'm not really confident mixing that stuff myself. 

Armor Etch works well on tempered glass. Never used a laser cutter before.

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2020 at 5:48 PM, Rune said:

Bumping this. I swapped cases and redid the internals a bit , but its still technically the same build so:

aHhQJyf.jpg

I like that a lot more, nothing against your mercy... but i dunno, the etching for the people just feels flat and lifeless. 

But I do really like that case.

MY RIG

CPU: i7-9700k

Motherboard: Asus Strix Z390 E-gaming board

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000

SSD: WD Blue 500GB 

HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm

Graphics: Geforce RTX 2070 Super

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 80 Plus Gold

1 hour ago, MrHoliday said:

I like that a lot more, nothing against your mercy... but i dunno, the etching for the people just feels flat and lifeless. 

But I do really like that case.

How can I improve for future etchings in your opinion?

• 5 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 7:56 AM, Rune said:

How can I improve for future etchings in your opinion?

id like to etch the panel on my Q100L or whatevr it is called lol. where can i find a guide, and does it cost a lot?

😕