OnePlus Announces Product... A TV?

jiyeon

Source: The Verge | OnePlus Forums - Pete Lau's Post

The OnePlus TV has been announced officially by Pete Lau, founder of OnePlus, earlier today.

The OnePlus TV is coming next month, founder Pete Lau revealed today — just one year after the phonemaker first announced it would build a TV set.

Pete Lau has said that the OnePlus TV will be exclusive to India for an indefinite amount of time, explaining that they have seen great success in India and have elected to give India the OnePlus TV first, and Pete Lau re-assured us that OnePlus are aiming to launch the TV in other expanded regions later.

Over the past 6 years, we have achieved great success in India in large part because of our passionate and supportive community. Even after all these years, we’re excited to explore exciting new opportunities hand-in-hand with you. The OnePlus TV is such an important product for all of us, and we can’t wait to see it in living rooms all over India.

We are also working hard to launch OnePlus TV in North America, Europe and China regions as soon as we establish partnerships with most of local and regional content providers.

Pete Lau also explained why OnePlus decided to launch a TV in his forum post:

In keeping with that belief, you can rest assured that the OnePlus TV will live up to your expectations of what is, without reservations, a new premium flagship.

I am confident that there are many things that you can expect from the OnePlus TV. Image and sound quality are fundamental features that we must get right. Alongside these key essentials, I believe the TV’s remarkable design and smart interconnectivity make this product even more exciting.

Our goal is for OnePlus to set the standard for future smart TV products, because we focus on every last detail. To me, designing a TV is about more than creating a high-quality display. A TV takes up a prominent spot in a household, meaning its design has to be worth viewing even when the TV is turned off.

I feel like this is a nice direction for the company to go as their moniker of being the 'flagship killer' has kind of worn off after having aimed for the big buys with their recent phones. It will be interesting for sure to see if India - for now - has a positive reception towards the OnePlus TV.

I read Pete's post and he says that OnePlus are aiming for good quality in all fronts for their new TV, everything from visual quality, sound clarity, and even a nice-looking design, so at least we know they've got the mindset for enterting a new vertical segment in the industry.

I find OnePlus with this move to be liken to the likes of Samsung and LG whom are very dominant in multiple segments of the technology industry, we'll have to see if OnePlus has the strength to follow suit.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I already see issues. If they wanted to go for a really good TV, don't focus on sound. Most people, if they care that much about sound, will have a proper setup. Which is something you simply can't compete with in regards to something that's included in the TV.

Props on the name change. You made the right choice.

15 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Will it have headphone jack?

God I hope not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

41 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

To hook up to simple speakers. What were you thinking?

the speakers that use 3.5" are probably not better than the speakers that come with it. 

51 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

yukkkkkk...hdmi or optical for sound ..... 3.5mm jack stereo (shudders)  ??

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

I already see issues. If they wanted to go for a really good TV, don't focus on sound. Most people, if they care that much about sound, will have a proper setup. Which is something you simply can't compete with in regards to something that's included in the TV.

Props on the name change. You made the right choice.

God I hope not.

I agree don’t focus on sound. But still put some decent speakers in the TV. Some of us don’t want to use a separate thing to get decent sound. I don’t expect Dolby 5.1. But at least not the bottom of the barrel speakers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'm going to assume this time around that the OnePlus TV will be marketed as a catch-all TV that also does audio well, not doing the best, nor sounding tinny and crude.

For my TV setup in my room, I only use the built-in speakers on my Sony Bravia and are fine with those for what they are.

I think people like me are what OnePlus are marketing this towards.

So since it's Oneplus, I'm going to guess that it's just going to be some rebranded TV from one of the other companies BBK owns, but with half decent software

I honestly don't get the big deal about OnePlus, they're just another Chinese phone manufacturer, no different from Oppo or Vivo (since they're literally the same company)

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

10 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I honestly don't get the big deal about OnePlus, they're just another Chinese phone manufacturer, no different from Oppo or Vivo (since they're literally the same company)

I think the reason they're well-respected is because they've made it extensively clear that their ultimate target is complete customer satisfaction through listening to their customers and making products that their customers want and would buy and would happily use.

Compare that to Oppo or Vivo, and both of those latter companies don't have the same "We care for our customers" trait that OnePlus so prominently exerts.

While they're only a phone manufacturer for now, I can see they're aiming to enter multiple vertical segments now so we'll have to see if they can prove themselves as not just a one shot wonder "flagship killer" back in the OnePlus One days.

48 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

So since it's Oneplus, I'm going to guess that it's just going to be some rebranded TV from one of the other companies BBK owns, but with half decent software

I've had two OP phones, the 3T which was great while it lasted and now the 7 Pro and it's an amazing piece of technology. Sure xiaomi has pretty much the same phone in stock but it's still different on a lot of points. 

Also, by this time almost every phone manufacturer is a Chinese manufacturer. So please don't hate on China because they also made your phone. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

50 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

In the consumer electronics space, that's literally all you would need to do to make an above-average product.

It would be difficult to compete with the Mi TV

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Speaker's that connect via a 3.5mm jack likely aren't worth connecting to the TV.. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I agree don’t focus on sound. But still put some decent speakers in the TV. Some of us don’t want to use a separate thing to get decent sound. I don’t expect Dolby 5.1. But at least not the bottom of the barrel speakers. 

There's only so much you can do. To truly get better sound, you have to enlarge the tv substantially, which doesn't make sense from numerous aspects. Design, shipping costs, weight, etc. 

2 hours ago, sowon said:

I'm going to assume this time around that the OnePlus TV will be marketed as a catch-all TV that also does audio well, not doing the best, nor sounding tinny and crude.

For my TV setup in my room, I only use the built-in speakers on my Sony Bravia and are fine with those for what they are.

I think people like me are what OnePlus are marketing this towards.

Horrible decision. You know what they say. A jack of all trades is a master of none. They're better of to focus on a few key areas. Most tv's have perfectly serviceable speakers. The $650 TV I have in the living room has speakers that are basically the same as the ones on my friends $5500 tv. There's only so much you can do with very limited cabinet space. Inhope they don't focus too much on that and neglect other areas. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, sowon said:

Pete Lau has said that the OnePlus TV will be exclusive to India for an indefinite amount of time, explaining that they have seen great success in India and have elected to give India the OnePlus TV first, and Pete Lau re-assured us that OnePlus are aiming to launch the TV in other expanded regions later.

Don't you mean undefined then?  indefinite IMO has always meant they have no plans to define it... meaning forever pretty much.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Now will they start spaming every product one can think of like Xiaomi?

(One Plus Internet stove please)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Nope! Not a good idea!!!

First them give me a OnePlus with a MicroSD slot and then they can do wahterver they want...

Well... No... In fact after the OnePlus WITH a MicrosSD slot, thex can make me an 8" Phablet with a good screen AND a MicroSD Slot...

Then they can do a TV if they want! ?

16 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Nope! Not a good idea!!!

First them give me a OnePlus with a MicroSD slot and then they can do wahterver they want...

Well... No... In fact after the OnePlus WITH a MicrosSD slot, thex can make me an 8" Phablet with a good screen AND a MicroSD Slot...

Then they can do a TV if they want! ?

That's a frankly really shallow reasoning to call it a 'bad idea'.

OnePlus are a brand that do listen to their customers from what we can read on the internet and demanding that their phones require a microSD slot before you can call a TV a good idea is just being stubborn.

Let them do their thing, they want to expand their market, let time decide whether it's a good idea and not whether you think including a microSD slot makes a new TV a good idea.

Going from a box-based system, like an Apple TV, and another TV etc, I'm not so sure a more integrated solution is a better idea, depending on the price. If its LED, I don't think anyone will 'upgrade'. It's really the firmware that makes a good TV now, not really picture quality. 

You want a good picture of course, but you also want Netflix, other apps etc. I'm just not sure anyone with a Chromecast or Apple TV will see this as an option, or where Samsung and LG etc already have good firmware with their own App Stores. 

1 hour ago, floofer said:

Going from a box-based system, like an Apple TV, and another TV etc, I'm not so sure a more integrated solution is a better idea, depending on the price. If its LED, I don't think anyone will 'upgrade'. It's really the firmware that makes a good TV now, not really picture quality. 

You want a good picture of course, but you also want Netflix, other apps etc. I'm just not sure anyone with a Chromecast or Apple TV will see this as an option, or where Samsung and LG etc already have good firmware with their own App Stores. 

Most likely, the OnePlus TV will probably be running either Android TV or even Amazon Fire TV... my money is bet on Android TV though.

10 hours ago, sowon said:

That's a frankly really shallow reasoning to call it a 'bad idea'.

Thank you for the "frankly really shallow reasoning" comment ??

I was reacting as a "wanting to be but not yet a customer" because of 2 reasons:

• No MicroSD slot
  • No wireless charging

Otherwise I LOVE their phones.

10 hours ago, sowon said:

OnePlus are a brand that do listen to their customers from what we can read on the internet and demanding that their phones require a microSD slot before you can call a TV a good idea is just being stubborn.

Let them do their thing, they want to expand their market, let time decide whether it's a good idea and not whether you think including a microSD slot makes a new TV a good idea.

But... I am a customer lambda here, who sees her own interest first! So you can call it "stubborn" if you want, but that is exactly what a customer is.

For me their product line "phone" is not finished and/or complete. It's been years since I/we've been asking on their forum for a MicroSD slot. And the simple fact that they still have no OnePlus with a MicroSD slot shows, to me, that they are not listening to their customers demands. Quite a few of "us" are asking for wireless charging too, whether it's QI or another one, but... there again: nothing.

So yes, as a customer, I'll see my need first. And their phones not having a MicroSD and wireless charging is, for me as a customer, a fatal flaw. So that may be "shallow" or "stubborn" but that's the way it is. ?

Now, regarding TVs. I perfectly can accept as a person or a customer that they have different divisions working on different product lines.

And going from a phone to a TV is just going from a small screen to a bigger screen (yes I'm grossly over-simplifying as many more aspects are involved).

But, again, as a customer, I'm not interested in a product that is going to look "good" on a design point of view, but in a product which is going to comply to my needs and desired specifications.

And in "my" case I'm more into the size of the TV screen (not too big) and it's discretion (TV lift cabinet), than into how nice it will look to all the visitors.

And I'm the same for my PC cases.

I can appreciate the bling of PC cases, for others... For me it has to be nice, discreet, efficient.

I find it quite strange to have companies telling their customers: "Look how nice our new product is! It looks so beautiful! Here! Buy!"

If it's not what I want or what I need, I won't buy it!

And frankly... It's a TV! So it will need to be REAL SPECIAL as the TV market is already saturated.

I'm not saying it is a bad product or anything of the sort, I haven't seen it. I'm totally open to innovation, if it's real innovation.

But, again, as a possible customer, I would greatly prefer them to offer me what I'm asking for quite some years now.

5 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

No MicroSD

Seems to be a growing trend. Though I never had any issue with my OnePlus 3T not having an SD card. Just disappointed it lasted only 2 years. The iPhone XR that I have doesn’t have SD support but does have wireless charging. Which is nice. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.