Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GOTSpectrum

LTT Official Folding Month 2019!!!

Spotty

For anyone new to Folding@Home please see the Folding@Home Install Guide and Folding@Home Tips, Tricks and FAQ. You can also join the Folding@Home discussion in the Official LinusTechTips Discord Server.

• Entries are now closed for the LTT Community Folding Event (this thread).
    • minimum participation requirements: 100k points, 20WUs, and 20 days of having activity over the course of the whole month.
  • Entries are still open for the Official LinusTechTips Folding@Home Giveaway. Click HERE to see details and enter.
    • Entries for the LinusTechTips Official Folding@Home Giveaway close November 4th, 2019 at 5:00 PM PST. T&C apply.

Message added by Spotty

Stats coming in hot.

Brace for impact.

34 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

10 billion in the month, minimum goal

PepperyFarGrizzlybear-size_restricted.gi

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Kingston HyperX 16GB (2*8GB) DDR4 3333MHz • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Logitech MX Anywhere 2

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

What do I do when it's stuck trying to load the web control? 

image.png.5920dc8eed6bf292c07cb68ef61e0d99.png

The advanced control still works fine.

19 minutes ago, rwncop said:

use the actual client. find icon in taskbar

Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, rwncop said:

I just dont use the web interface, simple fix

My Folding Stats

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor @ 3.7Ghz
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    DOMINATOR Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3400mhz
  • GPU
    EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 Hybrid, Aorus GTC 1080 Waterforce
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    BenQ - XL2430(144hz), Dell 24" portrait
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED
Just now, Saksham said:

use the actual client. find icon in taskbar

you can also just type FAHcontrol in the start menu and it will open the client advanced control thingie

My Folding Stats

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED

Just installed it on my home server.  I haven't folded full time in a long, LONG time (Playstation 3 era), but I've got a headless home server with Debian Linux, 16GB of RAM and an old 6 core AMD Phenom II that mostly sits around idling unless we're watching something on Plex or playing on the Minecraft server.

Got it up and running as a system service that starts automatically at boot, but with a lower priority than our other things.  I may just go ahead and leave it running 24/7.  That CPU only draws 95 watts TDP max and I've got a 125 watt wraith cooler on it, so it does good to hit 49-50 degrees under full load across all 6 cores.

Here's hoping I can contribute a little something to the LTT team, and the Folding project as a whole, 🙂

4 minutes ago, Gerowen said:

Just installed it on my home server.  I haven't folded full time in a long, LONG time (Playstation 3 era), but I've got a headless home server with Debian Linux, 16GB of RAM and an old 6 core AMD Phenom II that mostly sits around idling unless we're watching something on Plex or playing on the Minecraft server.

Got it up and running as a system service that starts automatically at boot, but with a lower priority than our other things.  I may just go ahead and leave it running 24/7.  That CPU only draws 95 watts TDP max and I've got a 125 watt wraith cooler on it, so it does good to hit 49-50 degrees under full load across all 6 cores.

Here's hoping I can contribute a little something to the LTT team, and the Folding project as a whole, 🙂

Glad to have you aboard!

My Folding Stats

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED

ANDDDDDD..... We just passed 800 sign ups!!!

@jakkuh_t Hope you get some good prizes for all these glorious people.

Bruce Almighty Jim GIF

My Folding Stats

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED

is it really worth using the cpu? it draws so much power and makes so much heat and is very slow. the gpu is so much better. 

should I fold only using the gpu?

Just now, Saksham said:

is it really worth using the cpu? it draws so much power and makes so much heat and is very slow. the gpu is so much better. 

should I fold only using the gpu?

That depends on what you think is worth it or not, personally I run BOINC on my CPUs alongside folding

My Folding Stats

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED
Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

That depends on what you think is worth it or not, personally I run BOINC on my CPUs alongside folding

what is boinc? same thing as FAH but different?

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

image.png.ede9dc5064ccb6ef40435086a1fd6345.png

Well looks like something broke, need to fix that.

my ppd cut in half out of nowhere.... now sure what happened to mine. btw, where did you get those stats?

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

my ppd cut in half out of nowhere.... now sure what happened to mine. btw, where did you get those stats?

Check your stats here - https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

Tag me @Opencircuit74 or quote me if you want me to respond, message me if you want me to spec out a decent low-budget build. (US Only) CPU: I7-6700k RAM: 16GB (8X2) DDR4-3200 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, PNY RTX 2060 MOBO: ASUS Z170-A PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: NZXT S340 White Cooler: Cooler Master Lite 240 AIO

Is there still a requirement to complete a certain number of work units before you are eligible for Quick Return Bonuses? Or was that never a thing and I'm just crazy? 🤔

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Is there still a requirement to complete a certain number of work units before you are eligible for Quick Return Bonuses? Or was that never a thing and I'm just crazy? 🤔

I'm sure there is, although not 100% on the specifics. @Gorgon any input?

My Folding Stats

• CPU
  • Motherboard
    GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Wraith Spire LED
2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

10WUs from here

"What are the qualifications for the QRB?

The bonus is applied for users who use a passkey, have successfully returned at least 10 bonus-eligible WUs, have successfully returned 80% or more of assigned WUs, and returned the unit before its Timeout (formerly Preferred Deadline). Bonus points do not apply to partial returns."

See also Passkey

1 minute ago, Gorgon said:

10WUs from here

"What are the qualifications for the QRB?

The bonus is applied for users who use a passkey, have successfully returned at least 10 bonus-eligible WUs, have successfully returned 80% or more of assigned WUs, and returned the unit before its Timeout (formerly Preferred Deadline). Bonus points do not apply to partial returns."

Ahh! I thought so! I just couldn't remember where I read it. Thanks.

If that's the case then that means that this will grow even more once people start to complete the 10 WUs and become eligible for the QRB points, assuming people are setting up passkeys.

22 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

We have seen an increase of 3MPPD/hr since last night:

image.png.181894161e92e507b72b6f654ca34a55.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Ahh! I thought so! I just couldn't remember where I read it. Thanks.

If that's the case then that means that this will grow even more once people start to complete the 10 WUs and become eligible for the QRB points, assuming people are setting up passkeys.

I set mine up, figured it would help make sure stats were tracked for me properly.

So I just downloaded FAH to try it out, and it says that it'll take my CPU (R5-3600X) 7 days to finish a WU and my GPU (1080 Ti) 10 days to finish a WU. How would I ever hope to finish 20 WUs in the 35 day period this event will run?

1 minute ago, atatassault said:

So I just downloaded FAH to try it out, and it says that it'll take my CPU (R5-3600X) 7 days to finish a WU and my GPU (1080 Ti) 10 days to finish a WU. How would I ever hope to finish 20 WUs in the 35 day period this event will run?

The ETAs aren't accurate when you first start, the first WUs are also used as a benchmark so the ETAs are more accurate later. Let the first WUs finish, takes about 30 minutes or so then check again.