LTT Official Folding Month 2019!!!

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Alright guys, the time for locking this thread has come, can you all please use the Folding Community Board for all further talk.

Thank you all again for participating in the event.

Once the sheet is cleaned up I will edit this post to add the link to the spreadsheet.

@TVwazhere Can you please lock this thread for me. 

22 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Quick question regarding active days, would you only be required to do one WU per day to be considered active. Given the numbers I'd assume as much but you know... :D

Personally I plan on folding in the evenings and on weekends due to variable power pricing in my area, so getting enough active days was a bit of a concern for me at first.

Yep, thats exactly what it means.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I was testing different clocks and my final result is: any overclock, even if it's minimal will make my PPD go down from 70k to less than 11k....

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card

I also managed to install on linux. My recommendation if you are on ubuntu/mint is to download the packages from alternative downloads, google "alternative folding@home downloads". If you get an error when choosing not to run on startup, run:

sudo update-rc.d FAHClient defaults

The command to start FAHClient is:

FAHClient --user=USERNAME --team=223518 --passkey=PASSKEY --gpu=true --smp=true

Still having problems getting them all remote controlled by my main pc.

19 minutes ago, SwedBertha said:

I also managed to install on linux. My recommendation if you are on ubuntu/mint is to download the packages from alternative downloads, google "alternative folding@home downloads". If you get an error when choosing not to run on startup, run:

Getting all that setup is a pain, I didn't bother and just used scripts to start and stop FAHClient etc. It's not too bad, had roughly 15+ servers going but it's not like I really did anything to them other than start them then let them run, if you want to actually stop them many times during the event then I'd look at a central script to ssh to each system and do what is required.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:00 AM, GOTSpectrum said:

We are now up to 50 sign ups already!

On 8/17/2019 at 1:17 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

We have just surpassed 900 sign ups

Related image

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, SwedBertha said:

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Getting all that setup is a pain, I didn't bother and just used scripts to start and stop FAHClient etc. It's not too bad, had roughly 15+ servers going but it's not like I really did anything to them other than start them then let them run, if you want to actually stop them many times during the event then I'd look at a central script to ssh to each system and do what is required.

Why not just use FAHClient --configure to generate an XML config, then just run FAH as a service?

The Arch Wiki has a decent guide for FAH on Arch Linux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Folding@home#Configuration

EDIT: It should be the same for debian based distros, except you will need to cd to /etc/fahclient instead of /opt/fah to generate the configuration file.

And you might need some extra tweaks to the xml to allow remote management with advanced control (such as setting <password>)

Here's my desktop's config.xml for reference:

<config>
  <!-- HTTP Server -->
  <allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.107'/>

<!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- Remote Command Server -->
  <password v='XXXXXXXX'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'/>
  <team v='223518'/>
  <user v='sazrocks'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'>
    <gpu-index v='0'/>
  </slot>
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'>
    <cpus v='22'/>
  </slot>
</config>

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

22 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Why not just use FAHClient --configure to generate an XML config, then just run FAH as a service?

I do but if you want to start and stop it without actually having to login to every computer remote management is nice, simple script to start/stop the service on each one just seems the easiest to me rather than using remote management tools from FAH, I do the same for BOINC but that's a bit more complex as I also do project switching etc with it.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I do but if you want to start and stop it without actually having to login to every computer remote management is nice, simple script to stop the server on each one just seems the easiest to me rather than using remote management tools from FAH, I do the same for BOINC but that's a bit more complex as I also do project swtiching etc with it.

Makes sense since you're also doing boinc. 

The way I have it setup is that I use the advanced control client on a PC to manage all of my folding clients, and that way I can start/stop slots and change configurations from one spot. I don't really have a reason to ever stop the FAH service unless one of the clients is acting up for some reason.

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

19 hours ago, Gorgon said:

You want to leave one core free for the OS typically but as I’m seeing htop output your not as limited here ? but I’m also seeing Plex so you will likely want to run 4 cores.

Theres this weird thing that happens folding on CPUs where certain Prime numbers of CPUs cause issues and that’s what your seeing here.

If you have an older GPU you can install in the system you’ll likely produce more points than the CPUs would on their own. A GTX 1050 will produce between 150 and 200kPPD.

Ah ok, so it leaves one core alone so the OS has something to use, and it doesn't like core counts that are prime numbers, so it knocks another one off to avoid that, which is why it's using 4 of the 6 cores, got it.  Just wondering, ?  I don't have any spare graphics cards laying around, well I think I have an old NVidia GeForce FX 5500 or 5700 or something like that in a cardboard box out in the storage shed somewhere, but nothing that I'd think would be worth fooling with.

The increase in folding output after the TL shout out is insane; in the last 48 hours our folding production has doubled.

Folding_progress_TL.png.1a6ff8134fb4e74855e6dfdebdb3b2ae.png

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

6 hours ago, sazrocks said:

The Arch Wiki has a decent guide for FAH on Arch Linux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Folding@home#Configuration

EDIT: It should be the same for debian based distros, except you will need to cd to /etc/fahclient instead of /opt/fah to generate the configuration file.

And you might need some extra tweaks to the xml to allow remote management with advanced control (such as setting <password>)

Here's my desktop's config.xml for reference:

<config>
  <!-- HTTP Server -->
  <allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.1.107'/>

<!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- Remote Command Server -->
  <password v='XXXXXXXX'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'/>
  <team v='223518'/>
  <user v='sazrocks'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'>
    <gpu-index v='0'/>
  </slot>
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'>
    <cpus v='22'/>
  </slot>
</config>

Mine never wanted to do this for me - Might be an old mint install I have or something. I am very new to linux and the method I posted worked for me. Altough I will copy your config file, it looks amazingly ordered!

9 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Related image

We are now over 1k, seems like we're slowing down finally

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, Erudito said:

I wonder if TechLinked will be summarizing the numbers every day as a bonus.

I will be doing that in daily update blogs here on the forum

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, cris996 said:

I came from techlinked here, my gaming rig with RTX 2070 will be enough right?

Easily, the minimum specs are such that even a GT 630 should be able to hit it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Easily, the minimum specs are such that even a GT 630 should be able to hit it. 

Awesome, I don't know much about folding but I googled it and got some idea of it. I was wondering what exactly should I be doing and do I need to keep my machine running the entire time during the folding period.

Just now, cris996 said:

Awesome, I don't know much about folding but I googled it and got some idea of it. I was wondering what exactly should I be doing and do I need to keep my machine running the entire time during the folding period.

You don't need too, you simply have to submit one work unit a day for at least 20 days, many work units can be completed in a few hours on most modern hardware. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

You don't need too, you simply have to submit one work unit a day for at least 20 days, many work units can be completed in a few hours on most modern hardware. 

I can do 6-8 hrs/day ?

29 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

For the minimum yes ;)

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

6 minutes ago, ThomasReid said:

Came here due to the techlinked episode. You guys should definitely encourage shout outs for this in all of your episodes!

Don't forget to get your passkey from the folding website!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240