Would you pay $100 for a Chinese Salvage Motherboard?? I did..

nicklmg

A lot of stuff from china is made out to be junk,
But all the custom boards they make is great !

Like, for example, the random board I bought that turns an old Thinkpad laptop LCD to a fully functionning, vga/dvi/hdmi capable monitor with sound in/out
twas like 30$ cad

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I follow a 100+ channels on YouTube (only about a dozen of them make daily videos), but the only channel I encountered this 360p issue (where the video gets stuck in 360p for a while) is LTT. I have never seen this with any other channel, small one or big one.

15 minutes ago, RGBLEDCPU said:

I follow a 100+ channels on YouTube (only about a dozen of them make daily videos), but the only channel I encountered this 360p issue (where the video gets stuck in 360p for a while) is LTT. I have never seen this with any other channel, small one or big one.

You should be thankful that you are getting anything as the video refuses to even load on my roku which has driven another nail deep into its coffin as I will be replacing it in the not to distant future.

1 minute ago, demonix00 said:

You should be thankful that you are getting anything as the video refuses to even load on my roku which has driven another nail deep into its coffin as I will be replacing it in the not to distant future.

I fast forward 10 seconds when that happens and always sorts it

Anyone have links to boards & chips. 

Would like to have a go at a server with this 

The entire LGA2011v1 community is alive and well out there. In fact, a six year old Ivy Bridge EP chip still outperform a modern Ryzen in some workload.

There's a Russian site offers BIOS mod for those Chinese boards with guides and tutorials for modding and overclocking chips and RAMs.

These Chinese boards are sometimes amazing values, since they accept REG ECC DIMMs and Xeons, which are much cheaper and readily-available on second hand market (decommissioned server parts). The only problems is that the manufacturers will change revision without notice and vendors typically don't disclose exact revision, making getting one really risky and requires a lot of luck.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Me:  Once I discovered AliExpress isn't really a scam, Ive saved so much money on PC parts.  

Of course there are the obvious scams, just like Ebay.  And yes I have been refunded by AliExpress when something came in broken from shipping.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

And yes I have been refunded by AliExpress when something came in broken from shipping.  

I've discovered the magic that those random Chinese companies just instantly give the refund without dispute because they don't have the time to bother

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I've discovered the magic that those random Chinese companies just instantly give the refund without dispute because they don't have the time to bother

I had 1 argue a dispute...sent a radiator without the barb fittings, had to do the 3 day process negotiating till AliExpress stepped in and they agreed to my negotiation that they owe me the price of purchasing a set of barb fittings (and gave them a link from Ebay) so they refunded the amount I was paying to have barb fittings shipped to my house quickly (since I expected my package to have them) from Ebay.  Cant complain so far!  Other than atrocious shipping times (compared to Ebay even from the same countries)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, RGBLEDCPU said:

From what I understand is that due to the strange aspect ratio LLT are using, YouTube prioritising.  

Do you have a list of the cooling parts used?

The GPUs at the beginning of the video are the ones that show up on eBay marketed as GTX 1050s, GTX 960s, etc. That alone scares me away from anything made by this company.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, SkyHound0202 said:

The only problems is that the manufacturers will change revision without notice and vendors typically don't disclose exact revision, making getting one really risky and requires a lot of luck.

I mean from what I've heard typically the newer the revision the better, and I don't know why they'd keep the older revisions, and if you inspect the pictures carefully you should be able to get a rough idea of the oldest you could get... You really think there's that much of a risk of you getting an older revision that's that much worse?

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

I wonder if that's abusable. 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Thank god AMD/Ryzen saved us from Intel

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Would anyone happen to know what the iommu groupings are for these motherboards? Do the boards separate devices into their own groups by default, or would someone have to ACS override?

Actually, I'm surprised you didn't already know about these boards, before you even went. These things are super popular, and you shop on AliExpress so you think you would have ran across these items. They make SLI/Crossfire boards and duel socket boards. Start ordering and testing.... Download the Russian BIOS and start Overclocking your LGA 2011 CPUs too. 

Linus, you should look at these when you get a chance. There are some better boards out there, and pretty nice setups from Chinese reman/new motherboards Ali express X79 boards are my thing! I built 4 lga2011 X79 board builds from Ali Express for my Kids builds with 4 channel 32gb of RAM. I love this build. Prices with 1660ti when I bought there were cheap and Powerful. All my kids stream, and can stream at 1080p-60fps while playing games (fortnite 120fps Epic settings). They are happy, and I was impressed, and a little jealous as the performance for what I paid, was rivaling my 2600x w/2060 that I build for about $1000. FYI , Prices gone up from when I purchased it seems, I purchased in mid May 2019 ($ in USD)
CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2650 V2 Processor 8 CORE 2.6GHz (I paid $64.99)
X79 Motherboard 2011 ATX Main Board USB3.0 SATA3.0 PCI-E 16X NVME M.2 SSD (I paid $75)
RAM (total 32gb) = 8GB x 4 1866 ECC DDR3 (I paid $16.53 each - total $66.12)
Aigo CPU Cooler Radiator TDP 280W Heat Sink Silent 120mm (I paid $23.07)
DIYPC DIY-F2-P Black / Purple SPCC Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case {also bought it in white/blue and orange/black} ( I paid about $35)
EVGA 550 N1 100-N1-0550-L1 550W (I paid $30 after main in rebate)
Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 x4 ( I paid $55 on sale)
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (I paid $260 after Rebate) TOTAL = $610

What I Purchased Links:
RAM 8GB x 4 1866 ECC DDR3 (I paid $16.53)
CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2650 V2 Processor 8 CORE 2.6GHz (I paid $64.99)
X79 Motherboard 2011 ATX Main Board USB3.0 SATA3.0 PCI-E 16X NVME M.2 SSD (I paid $75)
Aigo CPU Cooler Radiator TDP 280W Heat Sink Silent 120mm (I paid $23.07)
DIYPC DIY-F2-P Black / Purple SPCC Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case {also bought it in white/blue and orange/black} ( I paid about $35)
EVGA 550 N1 100-N1-0550-L1 550W (I paid $30 after main in rebate)
Silicon Power 512GB NVMe M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 x4 ( I paid $55 on sale)
Show less

I've got Huanan X79 from Ali with Xeon E5 2650 for about $200 total. Running VSphere 24/7 with 3 vms for over a year now. Wouldn't recommend for gaming or somewhat that kind, but works perfect for technical purposes.

VSphere 6 running AD replication server, kerio control (>80 users), unifi controller.

Why Linus wouldn't recommend or take a closer look at any of it? -Because it's a lottery.

Wait, has Linus never really heard of UEFI BIOS modding? Since UEFI is pretty modular, there's a ton of stuff that can be either updated or modded with almost no effort at all. There's a pretty big community for it at https://www.win-raid.com with tutorials, tools and UEFI modules you might need for your mod (like NVME support). They also have pre-modded BIOS files for most popular motherboards. I kinda think this type of stuff could be a great subject for a new video.

Xeon 2689 is the new star as the 2670 supply diminished. $50 for 8 cores.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 hours ago, fasauceome said:

True. They know some of their products sucks, so arguing would not be beneficial.

Once they gave me full refund + return shipment after i submitted the postal receipt, without any checking.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The ASUS x79 deluxe Linus showed can boot from an NVME ssd, asus released a bios update for it in 2016 

so...i have one of these motherboards... mine says it's ALLOYSEED x79t but ont the bios it says "to be filled by oem"....but anywas...thing is....i have an 8 gb ddr3 1866mhz installed..but no matter what i do the ram still running at 1333 mhz... my bios version is 4.6.5 UEFI bios project 0.20...and it's on that retro AMI bios... the version seems to be 2012... I'm telling this things so i can be very specific to the issue I'm having...and since linus had the same i don't know if someone could help me on this mission.... i can only chose the speed by an option that says "force speed (.....)" 

(.....) this coud be from 800 to 1866

so if anyone could help me... please...i dig it too much on google and found nothing and have no idea where to go now....

• 5 months later...

The nvme work fine with Intel per top, because they work with uefi bios and p5q Deluxe had a biso uefi versión