Noctua Fans

tezza192
This has been bugging me for a while, like it or not the PC enthusiast scene is as much about looks as well as performance I would say for most of us. Thats why people spend money on cases, mods like sleeved cables and generally stuff to make our rigs look cool as well as run fast. 

Noctua fans are the best performing fans out there, I just cant understand the decision by whoever is in charge at Noctua not to offer a different colour scheme. They must realize that if the colors changed they would sell a boat load more, Literally the only reason I wont use them is for looks, I know countless people who feel the same.

Lets be honest every rig with noctua fans displayed on any forum has comments about the color scheme, they just look butt ugly that's why.

What do you guys think?

Would you buy noctua if they had a more classic/sleek color scheme?

After having 4 nf-f12's for a bit, I recently finished my custom loop and replaced them all with 8 sycthe gentle typhoons 1450rpm model, I've been amazed at how much quieter they are then the NF-f12's, not to mention they look 50000x better.

From now on these are my new recommendations :)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

It's because they wanted their fans to be "recognizable".  It worked IMO.  Whenever I see that iconic brown and tan color scheme, I instantly know it's Noctua.

I like the look of Noctua fans. One look at them and you know who it's from. 

I'll move this thread to the Air Cooling section since Noctua (sadly) doesn't really delve into other products.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I've seen an interview on the past that was done to a Noctua rep.

It's not only the fact that they stand out and are different, original and recognizable, but they use a fiber compound on the blades that has that brown colour, without it, or with paint on them, the fans won't perform just like they do.

They developed a new and stronger material to use on their upcoming fans (black), it's going to be higher performance, and higher price. This was announced on 2013, and they should be here by Q2

Noctua will be coming out with black versions of their fans in Q1 2014.

Yes they could be, I was just told they would be out in 2014. Either way the blacks one are going to be even more expensive and probably considerably so as they have better material, a better 6 pole motor, and that motor is also faster. Most people will probably ne interested in project redux the grew ones as they will be cheaper in every was but around the same performance as the originals. There it nothing else really known about them though and no round about date has been heard

I like the colour scheme :3

Same here, my build colors are going to be black and noctua :P

I've seen an interview on the past that was done to a Noctua rep.

It's not only the fact that they stand out and are different, original and recognizable, but they use a fiber compound on the blades that has that brown colour, without it, or with paint on them, the fans won't perform just like they do.

They developed a new and stronger material to use on their upcoming fans (black), it's going to be higher performance, and higher price. This was announced on 2013, and they should be here by Q2

Well the tan frame is PBT I however dont know what the blades are.

When you have best performing products it really doesn't matter on competition wise, right? Its customers decition to either get better looking fans or best fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

i would honestly stop buying noctua if they went black like generic $0.02 fans.

i paid good money for them; i EXPECT them to not look like something that cost alot cheaper.

I believe it depends on the person. Some people care about looks and some care about performance.

For me I'm into performance. When I do a custom water cooling build it would be all Noctua fans. Making everything color correct and sleeve cables doesn't interest me, mostly because I have no one to show it off to, that would know what they are looking at. I would rather have awesome preforming, silent, and reliable computer. Then all flashy and glow lighting one. I have seen people (post in this forum) sacrifice getting a quality hardware to get something that is color correct. I'm not into that.

It really depends on that individual and how they see color and performance of Noctua fans.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Noctua, best fans? When did this happen?

I would say when used in their proper application they are one of the best.

I believe it depends on the person. Some people care about looks and some care about performance.

For me I'm into performance. When I do a custom water cooling build it would be all Noctua fans. Making everything color correct and sleeve cables doesn't interest me, mostly because I have no one to show it off to, that would know what they are looking at. I would rather have awesome preforming, silent, and reliable computer. Then all flashy and glow lighting one. I have seen people (post in this forum) sacrifice getting a quality hardware to get something that is color correct. I'm not into that.

It really depends on that individual and how they see color and performance of Noctua fans.

Im with you man performance first, if it just happens to look good along the way great! If I have some extra money I might put it in something cheap that might make it looks better or if there are color options for cables or something ill pick the one that matches the build a bit more but thats about it.

After having 4 nf-f12's for a bit, I recently finished my custom loop and replaced them all with 8 sycthe gentle typhoons 1450rpm model, I've been amazed at how much quieter they are then the NF-f12's, not to mention they look 50000x better.

From now on these are my new recommendations :)

the AP/GT line of fans are no more. what is on the shelves is what is available.

FrozenCPU,

Regretfully, both Nidec and Scythe have decided not to continue their business relationship.

We will not be able to fulfill your Gentle Typhoon order.

We will be promoting the new Grand Flex fans. These are supposedly better than the Gentle Typhoons.

We need to get the message out to the public. I should have some samples by early next month.

By the way, Scythe reserves the right to the name Gentle Typhoon.

That means Nidec can’t sell the product to anybody with our label, our package, our brand and etc. attached to it.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Hank Peng

SCYTHE, Inc.

the AP/GT line of fans are no more. what is on the shelves is what is available.

omg :C that sucks... 

I hope the ones replacing them are better.  They're SO much quieter than my previous nf-f12's I'm in love with them.    All of my GT's at 40% from my fan controller, all 8 of them are quieter than one nf-a14 with a low noise adapter+ running at 40% from my fan controller, which I'd assume is like... 30% speed or so.  I had it as an exhaust but figured I don't need it with 4 intakes on the bottom rad, and 4 exhausts on the top on the other rad.

Took it out, and now the only thing I can hear is the ever so slight buzzing of my HDD, could I put noise dampening foam around my HDD cages? Or would it overheat?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I hope the ones replacing them are better.  They're SO much quieter than my previous nf-f12's I'm in love with them.    All of my GT's at 40% from my fan controller, all 8 of them are quieter than one nf-a14 with a low noise adapter+ running at 40% from my fan controller, which I'd assume is like... 30% speed or so.  I had it as an exhaust but figured I don't need it with 4 intakes on the bottom rad, and 4 exhausts on the top on the other rad.

Took it out, and now the only thing I can hear is the ever so slight buzzing of my HDD, could I put noise dampening foam around my HDD cages? Or would it overheat?

so far the "Grand Flex" is batting ZERO to being a AP/GT replacement. the older clicking under-volt is back,

deffo louder in 12v ops comparing rpm to rpm versions, and have gone to the paddle blade and moved from

the sickle blade profile.

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/grand-flex-pwm.html

so far the "Grand Flex" is batting ZERO to being a AP/GT replacement. the older clicking under-volt is back,

deffo louder in 12v ops comparing rpm to rpm versions, and have gone to the paddle blade and moved from

Dam.. That sucks, I guess I'm glad I got mine when I did lol

Well damn, does that include the gentle typhoon high speeds?

Also tom's hardware says that the grand flex is the successor to the s-flex (later kama flex 2 s = sony bearing, which was better). The S-Flex fans were actually quite good I still have 5-6 of both the s-flex and kama flex 2 around here somewhere. I think its funny how they colored them the same as the gentle typhoons, my guess it to visually show that they are the replacement.

Depends because I can get the Noctua's down to a couple hundred RPM where they barely audible if at all. Also they may be quieter, I just wonder if they are pushing as much airflow and pressure as that noctua. Either way they are great fan Ive used 4 in a rig before (Antec P182) and they were quite good. I also have two of the high speeds in my ITX build and I quite like how they are preforming once converted to PWM.

If they are louder are they putting out more pressure and or flow to compensate, if so I dont really mind. Also they are PWM so why undevolt them?

Well damn, does that include the gentle typhoon high speeds?

all AP/GT (as contracted through Nidec) fan line-up.

If they are louder are they putting out more pressure and or flow to compensate, if so I dont really mind. Also they are PWM so why undevolt them?

they do offer the Grand Flex in fixed (3-pin) speeds, too.

SM1225GF12SL (800 rpm)

30.5 CFM, 0.53 mmH²O, 18.0 dBA

SM1225GF12L (1200 rpm)

76.6 CFM, 1.15 mmH²O, 23.5 dBA

SM1225GF12M (1600 rpm)

45.8 CFM, 2.00 mmH²O, 28.5 dBA

SM1225GF12H (2000 rpm)

61.1 CFM, 3.20 mmH²O, 34.5 dBA

all AP/GT (as contracted through Nidec) fan line-up.

they do offer the Grand Flex in fixed (3-pin) speeds, too.

SM1225GF12SL (800 rpm)

30.5 CFM, 0.53 mmH²O, 18.0 dBA

SM1225GF12L (1200 rpm)

76.6 CFM, 1.15 mmH²O, 23.5 dBA

SM1225GF12M (1600 rpm)

45.8 CFM, 2.00 mmH²O, 28.5 dBA

SM1225GF12H (2000 rpm)

61.1 CFM, 3.20 mmH²O, 34.5 dBA

:( well im gald I got the high speeds when I did as they are a good fit for that build.

Why would you get 3pin if there is PWM?

Why would you get 3pin if there is PWM?

in some instances the PWM might not be able to get into a lower RPM, start in a

lower RPM, or maintain the lower RPM (scythe gives the PWM a +/- 250rpm to

the advetised 600rpm). plus also the user may not want a flare up POST check

(39dBA) and keep a RPM value of 1200rpm 24/7 or 800rpm 24/7.

remember the PWM has to cycle the switch to manitain rpm and the less % means

heat build-up, constant winding/coil "clicking", and possible fatigue.

Tbh, i would not mind that the fan and the rubber pieces in the corner to be Brown, just make that beige frame black and you can still see its a noctua :-)

Oh no Noctua should never change the colour of the fans

As the proud owner of NF-F12 for 3 days they are just awesome

The packaging.. the wires just the feal of it

And they are heavy Too..

Silent as Hell.. ooohhh at 900rpm no noise at all

Now my CPU runs at 2C less with just one fan than room than Before It used to be 2c-4c higher on my corsair water cooler with both supplied fans at 900rpm

Realy Happy About IT

Why are people crazy about IT

they are not that costly i mean corsair sp120 are costly than noctua NF-F12 in india.....

I personally like the look of Noctua fans. Because Noctua makes such quality stuff every time you see those ugly brown and beige colors you just know what high quality gear is running in a rig. In fact i just ordered 8 new Noctua fans last night for my newest build.

in some instances the PWM might not be able to get into a lower RPM, start in a

lower RPM, or maintain the lower RPM (scythe gives the PWM a +/- 250rpm to

the advetised 600rpm). plus also the user may not want a flare up POST check

(39dBA) and keep a RPM value of 1200rpm 24/7 or 800rpm 24/7.

remember the PWM has to cycle the switch to manitain rpm and the less % means

heat build-up, constant winding/coil "clicking", and possible fatigue.

From my experiences I have always been able to get PWM to go lower with less side effects. The only downside would indeed be the flair up post check which truthfully isnt that big of a deal unless your running like a bunch of Gentle Typhoon High Speed's or something, then you have a turbine :P . Its actually more power efficient and less wear to use PWM since the motors are designed to run at 12v and in between the pulses they are not on. Its like that with a ton of things that run on DC another good example would be LEDs, something that i personally have experience with. I have experienced that clicking far more with fans that I undervolt. I am actually experiencing that right now with the OEM Corsair AF140's that came with the 750D and Air 540 as I have them in my sever/HTPC turned all the way down with a NZXT Mix.

Tbh, i would not mind that the fan and the rubber pieces in the corner to be Brown, just make that beige frame black and you can still see its a noctua :-)

Look at the industrial fans that are coming out. Also would you be fine with the blades staying brown because thats what it sounds like.

Oh no Noctua should never change the colour of the fans

As the proud owner of NF-F12 for 3 days they are just awesome

The packaging.. the wires just the feal of it

And they are heavy Too..

Silent as Hell.. ooohhh at 900rpm no noise at all

Now my CPU runs at 2C less with just one fan than room than Before It used to be 2c-4c higher on my corsair water cooler with both supplied fans at 900rpm

Realy Happy About IT

Why are people crazy about IT

they are not that costly i mean corsair sp120 are costly than noctua NF-F12 in india.....

Whoo another person has been converted :P

I personally like the look of Noctua fans. Because Noctua makes such quality stuff every time you see those ugly brown and beige colors you just know what high quality gear is running in a rig. In fact i just ordered 8 new Noctua fans last night for my newest build.

I dont think their ugly as II think it bring some natural colors into the normally very artificial color glowy custom PC industry.