1080ti PSU requirements?

Kasper_MC

Hi peeps

I've been offered a Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti for an equal to 120 USD less than I can find it for other places from a friend who just want it gone fast and plans to put it online.

Anyway: I'm running a 2600X, 16GB DDR4 3000mhz and have a GTX 1070. 

I think it's worth the purchase - just to have it, if I wanna upgrade the CPU at some point. I mean: I have the money, and it's not gonna be worse than the 1070. But, here comes the proverbial but... I have a 620 watt PSU - a Seasonic 80+ bronze. I've looked at all the different PSU-calc's I could find online, they say anything from 440 watts to 637 watts for my rig with the 1080ti... so - how would it handle it, do you think? 

5 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

PSU calcs are pretty useless, a 1080ti is unlikely to pass 250W from a typical gaming load, your PSU is fine.

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9I

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

19 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

I have a 620 watt PSU - a Seasonic 80+ bronze

It helps to list the make and model, although I believe there's only a couple seasonic 620 watt PSUs. Do you have the S12II?

There are affordable PSUs that would go with a 1080 ti, like a seasonic focus or bitfenix Formula gold. You can use a 550 watt PSU and it's more than enough.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

14 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

There are affordable PSUs that would go with a 1080 ti, like a seasonic focus...

Maybe not that one. What with the OCP problems, ripple, freezing, only 1 PEG connnector, noise and all... 

In terms of wattage you will likely be fine, although I don't think your PSU is good enough.

If you have a Seasonic S12/M12 then replace it. You don't want to be using a group regulated PSU with a high-end card like that..

My PSU is the M12II Evo edition. 
I drive a 1440P screen

I'm not planning to OC it

And thanks for the replies :)
Seems like it's just as not-straight-forward as the PSU-calc's made it seem. 
But it seems like, I could do it - but I should get something gold?

Hello_there_123, I have no idea what you're talking about - it's over my head - but would it do for a non-OC'ed?
It would be pretty pointless to pay out 100 dollars to save 120 dollars... then I might just wait with upgrading my GPU untill there's a fall in prices. 

14 hours ago, Kasper_MC said:

I've been offered a Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti for an equal to 120 USD less than I can find it for other places from a friend who just want it gone fast and plans to put it online.

Seems like a good deal

14 hours ago, Kasper_MC said:

I have a 620 watt PSU - a Seasonic 80+ bronze. I've looked at all the different PSU-calc's I could find online, they say anything from 440 watts to 637 watts for my rig with the 1080ti... so - how would it handle it, do you think? 

Wattage isn't the Problem, Quality and how the PSU is working is.

You should get a different PSU.

What is available in your region?

14 hours ago, WereCat said:

620W is fine

No, its not.

As it points to some specific models that must not be used with highest end GPUs!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Kasper_MC said:

Hello_there_123, I have no idea what you're talking about - it's over my head - but would it do for a non-OC'ed?
It would be pretty pointless to pay out 100 dollars to save 120 dollars... then I might just wait with upgrading my GPU untill there's a fall in prices. 

Chances are you will have to upgrade your PSU if you want better graphics card regardless, so it's no big loss

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

23 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, its not.

As it points to some specific models that must not be used with highest end GPUs!

Its not recommended but it will work. He can upgrade later. If he can upgrade now, sure, he may as well do that. But it will work fine for the time being.

Besides, he havent mentioned the specific model before and I just said that the 620W enough, which is true.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Its not recommended but it will work.

And what if it doesn't?

The 1080ti is a high end GPU with some brutal Transients, wich can cause Problems.

To make it worse, the Seasonic S12II lacks some important protection as well.

He can upgrade later. If he can upgrade now, sure, he may as well do that. But it will work fine for the time being.

...and kill his Computer with an unsuitable PSU, in a worst case scenario...

You know that the S12II/M12II up to 620W lack UVP on 12V, do you??

Besides, he havent mentioned the specific model before and I just said that the 620W enough, which is true.

why not just admit that you were a bit too general and that the PSU he has isn't a great idea to be used with a high end Graphics card???

Its not recommended but it will work. He can upgrade later. If he can upgrade now, sure, he may as well do that. But it will work fine for the time being.

I used to think as such until I saw a friend who got a Vega FE and because of the "wattage is enough no hurry to get a decent PSU" mentality kept using his 2+ years old EVGA 600B1, used to power a GTX 970 and every one thought it'd be ok.

During peak load on the Vega FE the PSU did a small "blow up" with plenty of smoke now on his case the PSU died alone but we all know it's ridiculously easy to lose more hardware along side on these cases.

When it happens to someone you know irl you really start takng these things more seriously.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

31 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And what if it doesn't?

The 1080ti is a high end GPU with some brutal Transients, wich can cause Problems.

To make it worse, the Seasonic S12II lacks some important protection as well.

...and kill his Computer with an unsuitable PSU, in a worst case scenario...

You know that the S12II/M12II up to 620W lack UVP on 12V, do you??

why not just admit that you were a bit too general and that the PSU he has isn't a great idea to be used with a high end Graphics card???

I was a bit too general because I wanted to be.

I said 620W is enough. I did not want to comment further but now you make me. You are right, he should go with a better PSU.

But many people are overexaggerating with PSU blowing up. I know this PSU lacks UVP, still, it will be fine. Its an old PSU but its far from being trash like some other units, thats why I am still saying it will be fine for the most part.

17 hours ago, Kasper_MC said:

i'd make sure the 2600x isnt running something like 150w, keep it under 100, 1080 ti should be under 300w, it should be enough but a psu upgrade is still recommended.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

8 hours ago, Kasper_MC said:

Hello_there_123

make sure you quote people or use @hello_there_123 so people see your responses

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I said 620W is enough. I did not want to comment further but now you make me. You are right, he should go with a better PSU.

But many people are overexaggerating with PSU blowing up. I know this PSU lacks UVP, still, it will be fine. Its an old PSU but its far from being trash like some other units, thats why I am still saying it will be fine for the most part.

Exactly, it won't hurt his system, but ideally he really needs to get a higher end unit, a good 650W PSU.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

6 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Exactly, it won't hurt his system, but ideally he really needs to get a higher end unit, a good 650W PSU.

You have any proof of that?

Actual Measurement that a group regulated, badly protected 2010 PSU has no Problems with modern Components?

Oh, I see...

Because it lacks OCP anywhere and UVP on 12V, it can't switch off if there is something going on in the system, the 12V rail drops to 10V or something like that. Because it has no UVP...

You shouldn't, because Wattage is not very relevant, build quality of the PSU is...

And there are more than enough bad quality PSU, also some have 620W...

Again, the Wattage is not that important. A good quality 400-500W PSU is better than a low quality or group regulated 600-700W PSU...

I said 620W is enough.

So you're saying this "620W" PSU would be fine for the 1080ti?

https://geizhals.de/inter-tech-argus-aps-620w-620w-atx-2-31-88882118-a1145312.html

You are right, he should go with a better PSU.

Where is the disagreement? :|

But many people are overexaggerating with PSU blowing up.

Its not (just) PSU Blowing up, its also other Problem.

Such things as random reboots, switching off, PSU getting really really loud.

And at least the PSU getting really really loud is something that will happen as we're talking about 2000rpm or more with his unit...

I know this PSU lacks UVP, still, it will be fine.

You don't know that!

And that is the problem.

What is when its not fine? 
What is if he has randomf freezes, reboots or the PSU is far too loud to bear?

There are also other things. The sad thing is that bad PSU can kill components over a long period of time...

Its an old PSU but its far from being trash like some other units, thats why I am still saying it will be fine for the most part.

Why do you think that?

Here more infos:

Thank you all for engaging so much! It's been a steep but interesting learning curve :)

I got to try the 1080ti before buying it - brought my system and a watt-meter with me, so did some tests. 
I ran Heaven (standard free edition), Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme, Time Spy, Time Spy Extreme (the dude had a 4k display, so why not..), Furmark stresstest (for approx. 10 mins), GTA V and Superposition - in that order. The total system draw from the wall was at no point more than 450 watts: 450/620*100=72,6% use on the PSU (mostly it was around 400 watts, GTA was 293 at most). The card never got to more than 73 degrees celcius, closed up inside my RL06 case.

Also, the thing about it not having UVP - it does, at least according to Seasonic: https://seasonic.com/m12ii-evo#specification

I'll keep monitoring watt, temp and voltages for a while and report back if anything happens. 

Thank you all for your help :) So far, I'm a happy camper.... let's see for how long... 

Btw: the scores equaled about a 25-40% uplift to my previous GPU. 

12 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

Also, the thing about it not having UVP - it does, at least according to Seasonic: https://seasonic.com/m12ii-evo#specification

On 3,3V and 5V, not on 12V.

Here Review:

https://ru.gecid.com/power/seasonic_m12ii-520_bronze_evo_edition_ss-520gm2_2015/?s=all

You can see that they use the HY-510N for wich you can google a Datasheet.

And there it shows that there is no UVP on 12V.

A WT7502 for example does come with UVP.

Here another Review from a labeled unit (and Seasonic doesn't allow many changes, so yours is similar):
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-07/cooler-master-cougar-xfx-zalman-netzteil-test/3/#abschnitt_schutzschaltungen

The XFX (zweite Revision) is the Seasonic made one.