Tablet Devices with Pens. Which is the Best?

AmeanAF

Which one is the best for productivity? Can someone actually get use to it, and go Paperless? Which performs best? Which has the best features for writing? Which is worth investing?

The Surface Pro, The Surface Go,  Samsung's Galaxy Tab that have Pen support, Apple's IPad Pro with Pen, E-ink Digital Paper tablets that can annotate too like the reMarkable's and Sony's Digital Paper. Let me know what you think.

Are you planning to buy one,If so whats your budget?

My life

If you want a standalone device to replace a notebook, get something with an e-ink display. Batteries last weeks, they're relatively cheap, lightweight, and I personally think e-ink is sexy as fuck.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Ipad pro.

I just went through this with my wife for her birthday.  Bought a windows PC returned it, then a surface returned it, then an ipad.

Ipad won, by a lot.

When it comes to acting like real paper, it's hard to beat Apple.

iPad Pro with a 2nd gen Apple Pencil

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If you're looking for a writing tablet, go with an iPad Pro and 2nd gen Pencil (or a 2019 iPad and a 1st gen Pencil).

Most other tablets I've used have jitter with pens (when I try to roll my pen for calligraphy I expect the behavior to be a certain way, but with most pens the angle of the pencil doesn't matter) whereas the Pencil has done a much better job sensing the rolls without emphasizing them. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 hours ago, AmeanAF said:

The Surface Pro,  Samsung's Galaxy Tab that have Pen support, Apple's IPad Pro with Pen

For basic usage, the difference will literally just boil down to two things:

Your preference in operating systems and your preference on pens vs pencils..

Having used all three extensively, the main difference in writing experience is that writing on the Surface has a more natural, pen and paper feel to it out of the box, the other two can get the same effect with a basic screen protector. Unless you load a shit ton of bloatware on your device, you're also not going to see any difference in writing quality or input lag between them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Depends what exactly you want to do with it.

If it's going paperless = Digital Note Taking, the Ranking is:

iOS >> Windows > Android.

iOS wins simply because it has the best performance per Money spend, and the best App availability. There are multiple VERY good apps, with high support (Notability + GoodNotes 5 beeing the most popular. Also, Noteshelf 2, NotesPlus if you like that... But Notability + GoodNotes 5 would be my choice.).

Long Updates, a hell lot of very good Apps, very good and stable performance, and battery Life.

Windows simply, because the OS is still useable as a Notebook replacement with ideal Office capabilities, while also having Microsoft OneNote available (but still, this is worse than what iOS offers - because it's only 1 app. All Digital Note Taking apps have their pros and cons. If there are many things you dislike about OneNote, well.. get used to it.

For pure and only Digital Note Taking, there is nothing i can think of, that Windows does better than iOS.

Android last place (i would even go as far and say: do not consider it at all), because Android is dead. google gave up on it, and developers don't really code many Apps optimized for Tablets - and there is a huge lack of high quality Apps. it simply can't compete with what iOS offers, it's a hole other world.

Still, Android on Tablets does have it's very awesome Perks for specific things. Media center (file system, sd card support, 16:10 formats), or watching anime streams / reading Manga (there are very awesome Apps for it. Manga Rock for example is available as a "Definite" Edition, which includes licenced Mangas too. iOS Version does not have this).

But Note Taking / being productive is really not in Android's Favour.

What is your Budget?

If you stick to iPads, my Ranking would be:

1. iPad Pro 2018 (11" or 12.9", whatever you prefer) + Apple Pencil 2

2. ipad Pro 2017 (2nd generation. 10.5" and 12.9", featuring the Apple A10X Chip) + Apple pencil 1

3. iPad Air 3 / iPad Mini (same specs, different sizes) + Apple pencil 1

4. iPad 2018 + Apple pencil 1

22 hours ago, AmeanAF said:

Which one is the best for productivity? Can someone actually get use to it, and go Paperless? Which performs best? Which has the best features for writing? Which is worth investing?

The Surface Pro, The Surface Go,  Samsung's Galaxy Tab that have Pen support, Apple's IPad Pro with Pen, E-ink Digital Paper tablets that can annotate too like the reMarkable's and Sony's Digital Paper. Let me know what you think.

I'd skew toward the iPad as well, since it both has the software you need and the portability.  The iPad Pro would be ideal since you could use the latest-generation Pencil, but that might be overkill unless you're intending to use the device for considerably more.  The iPad Air is a better bet if you don't mind the first-gen Pencil and still want ideal performance.

If not that, a Surface Go (the higher-spec model with 8GB of RAM, preferably) would be good simply because you'd have tight OneNote integration and, if it matters, a conventional Windows PC.  It's not as portable or long-lived as an iPad, but you do have a flexible platform.

I recently bought a used Ipad Pro (1st gen) with Pencil for university. I can recommend if you don´t want to spend a fortune on the newest ipad pro.  There are many videos on youtube showing you how the ipad pro performs.