Is It Possible to Connect Multiple CPUs To Act As One?

Hey folks, after doing some Googling as to whether or not it's possible, I'm having a bit of difficulty finding out whether or not it would be possible.  I'm just wondering (in theory) if it would work to combine multiple computers' power all under one hood.  Combined RAM, processing power, etc.

I work at a Walmart and heard they will be replacing their PC's later this year.  Hopefully I can get a hold of them either directly, or from a local e-waste bin I have access to.  Not sure if they're all the same, but at least 2 of them are Dell OptiPlex 1030s (Small Form Factor).

Thanks!

Not in the way you're thinking about no. With some very expensive equipment and fiber interconnects and custom software, you can do something similar and have everything act as a distributed unit for special tasks.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Only specific CPUs on specific motherboards like these

Gigabyte-GA-7PESH1-Overview.png

Now connect multiple stand alones PCs like one? nope.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, Masman8675 said:

I'm just wondering (in theory) if it would work to combine multiple computers' power all under one hood.  Combined RAM, processing power, etc.

Combining processing power is doable through clustered computing as mentioned. But not combining resources like RAM and such because of the differences in speed that computers communicate with each other. If you're doing this cheaply, for example, the bottleneck will be the network speed operating at 1Gbps. For all intents and purposes, if a computer wants data from another's RAM, its effective speed "RAM speed" if you will is 1 Gbps, which is a far cry from the ~17 GB/sec (or ~136 Gbps) that DDR4-2166 operates at.

EDIT: Even in the computer itself if we had a multi-processor system, depending on how fast the CPUs talk with each other or how many hops the data has to make, this can be an issue when one CPU wants data from another CPU's memory pool.

Edited by Mira Yurizaki

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is there a task you want to speed up? You can setup clustering, but you need programs support and it won;t appear and work as one system.

Well, I would be wanting it for rendering with Blender.  Sorry, should have said that.  Other than that, I wouldn't use anything else on them.

No, unless you get a multi-CPU motherboard which only supports certain CPUs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Combining processing power is doable through clustered computing as mentioned. But not combining resources like RAM and such because of the differences in speed that computers communicate with each other.

There are some IBM power systems that actually connect CPU/memory/IO between physical chassis... like the p880 and p980

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

23 minutes ago, unijab said:

There are some IBM power systems that actually connect CPU/memory/IO between physical chassis... like the p880 and p980

using infiniband?

4 hours ago, Masman8675 said:

Well, I would be wanting it for rendering with Blender.  Sorry, should have said that.  Other than that, I wouldn't use anything else on them.

You can easily cluster blender, just use the built in network render manager and make a little render farm.

3 hours ago, mineblaster said:

using infiniband?

Knowing ibm.. it's proprietary.

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Can one system completely take over the resources of the other?

it acts as one system, not as two.

5 hours ago, mineblaster said:

Ooh, ya, like that!  Maybe if I could get that up and running...

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can easily cluster blender, just use the built in network render manager and make a little render farm.

Would you be able to point me to some articles/tutorials for that please?

Thanks everybody for all your input!

3 hours ago, Masman8675 said:

Ooh, ya, like that!  Maybe if I could get that up and running...

Would you be able to point me to some articles/tutorials for that please?

Thanks everybody for all your input!

Here is a pretty through guide https://cgcookie.com/tutorial/setting-up-a-renderfarm/

But basically, enable the add on, then set to network render, and go.

6 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Ah, so it makes it a NUMA node.

It had lots of problems with Cache though. There was a lot of head scratching in that area. One of the mainframes the company I work for made also had similar issues. Later on a shared cache was implemented.

I couldn't find OptiPlex 1030, but did find 3010. Assuming it's the 3010 which can handle "up to an i5" this would mike a pretty decent render farm, just keep in mind the power to processing power ratios.. Would it makie sense to sell all the parts / computers and in turn buy a modern i7 system which could possibly do the work of xx number of computers?

14 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Here is a pretty through guide https://cgcookie.com/tutorial/setting-up-a-renderfarm/

But basically, enable the add on, then set to network render, and go.

Sweet, thanks!  I shall look into it!

6 hours ago, Mikensan said:

I couldn't find OptiPlex 1030, but did find 3010. Assuming it's the 3010 which can handle "up to an i5" this would mike a pretty decent render farm, just keep in mind the power to processing power ratios.. Would it makie sense to sell all the parts / computers and in turn buy a modern i7 system which could possibly do the work of xx number of computers?

Ya, sorry, that's what it was.  I was running on memory only, I didn't have it written down or photographed anywhere. :)  That is a valid point regarding selling then upgrading.  Might wind up doing that, thanks for the idea!

On 4/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, Mira Yurizaki said:

Can one system completely take over the resources of the other?

This is known as MPP in the HPC industry, of the top 500 super computers 11.6% are of this type. They are very special systems and as mentioned are the IBM Blue Gene and Cray XC etc systems and have specialized interconnects that have custom communication protocols and many many connections per node to get the required bandwidth. These are 'one system' though you can create hardware resource pools to split up the resources to run multiple tasks etc which are not unlike creating VMs or containers but instead of being isolated to a single node you are able to span all nodes. Clustering on the other hand is just workload assigning to many nodes but a task can never exceed the capability of a single node even though the total combined resources would technically be capable.