BOINC Pentathlon 2019

Go to solution Solved by jakkuh_t,

Seems like the easiest way for most people to help out is in the Marathon.

This involves downloading BOINC, selecting the "World Community Grid" project, and then selecting the sub-project "OpenZIKA".

1. Download + Install BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

2. Open BOINC and click "Add Project"

3. Select the "World Community Grid" project, and then click on their website url. (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/discover.action)

4. On their Website, click "Join Now" at the top left or right depending. Enter your information and Register.

5. Once presented with the Sub project selection, choose "OpenZIKA" and click next. It will download a program, but you don't need it.

6. Go back to the BOINC app and click "Next >". Login with the World Community Grid account that you just signed up for.

Your BOINC app will now benchmark your system, and then start running. 

BUT, you still need to set your team to the LTT forum one.

7. Navigate to the team selection page, and login if you aren't already (https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/team/viewMyTeam.do)

8. Type in "LinusTechTips" in the "Contains:" field.

9. Click on the "LinusTechTips_Team" result that shows up. Once the page loads click "Join Team".

You will now be BOINCing for the LTT team :D

This is the easiest way to help out the cause, but there are more beneficial / advanced ways to do so if you're interested. Refer to the OP for more information.

Message @Ben Quigley if you need assistance.

Just now, leadeater said:

Actually no you're right, we would have hit that target by now.

See, I know what I'm doing ;) 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

BOINC absolutely kills my computer. I never have thermal issues while gaming, but when I ran BOINC for about 30 minutes my video card overheated and completely froze. I even set it to only use up to 75% of the CPU cycles, but the video card was running at 100% the entire time.

Just now, steelo said:

BOINC absolutely kills my computer. I never have thermal issues while gaming, but when I ran BOINC for about 30 minutes my video card overheated and completely froze.

Yes. BOINC will really test your system!

PS there are no active GPU projects so you shouldnt be stressing your GPU.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, Ben Quigley said:

This was a few weeks ago and my RX 570 was at 100% and I think got up to 90 c

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Is there a way to set it not to use 100% of your GPU time?

Just now, steelo said:

This was a few weeks ago and my RX 570 was at 100% and I think got up to 90 c

What project was you running? 

In general BOINC will really test your system, what kinda fan layout do you have? What case? 

In fact, full system specs? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, steelo said:

Is there a way to set it not to use 100% of your GPU time?

You could purposefully under-volt or under-clock your GPU 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

What project was you running? 

In general BOINC will really test your system, what kinda fan layout do you have? What case? 

In fact, full system specs? 

I believe it was the SETI@home project.

Ryzen 5 2400G overclocked to 3.8ghz, stock fan

ASRock B450M HDV MB

8 GB 3200 mhz RAM

RX 570 w/ 4 gb overclocked to 1380 mhz, RAM overclocked to 1900mhz

Vivo 'smart' case w 1 exhaust, 2 input fans

1 minute ago, steelo said:

ASRock B450M HDV MB

8 GB 3200 RAM

Yeah when running compute workloads I wouldnt be OCing my GPU unless it was a super high air flow case and a top the range card or water-cooled myself. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

25 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yeah when running compute workloads I wouldnt be OCing my GPU unless it was a super high air flow case and a top the range card or water-cooled myself. 

Okay, I may underclock it this weekend and try again. Isn't there a way to use CPU only?

29 minutes ago, steelo said:

ASRock B450M HDV MB

8 GB 3200 mhz RAM

The case has 2 more ports for 120mm fans on top, so some additional exhaust can be installed.  Also, tests show that the RX 570 can push as much as 200W when overclocked, so it might be worth considering some higher RPM intake fans to help bring in more cool air.  The ones we pre-installed run at 1,000RPM, which is enough for your average system, but this is working quite a bit hotter than your average system.

You can also try removing the foam filter from the front mesh intake.  To do this, pull off the front panel, unbend the 12 tabs holding the mesh on from the inside, then remove the mesh and foam filter.  After taking the filter out, reinstall the mesh.  This opens it up to more dust, but you'll also get more cool air coming in.

1 minute ago, VIVO-US said:

The case has 2 more ports for 120mm fans on top, so some additional exhaust can be installed.  Also, tests show that the RX 570 can push as much as 200W when overclocked, so it might be worth considering some higher RPM intake fans to help bring in more cool air.  The ones we pre-installed run at 1,000RPM, which is enough for your average system, but this is quite a bit hotter than your average system.

You can also try removing the foam filter from the front mesh intake.  To do this, pull off the front panel, unbend the 12 tabs holding the mesh on from the inside, then remove the mesh and foam filter.  After taking the filter out, reinstall the mesh.  This opens it up to more dust, but you'll also get more cool air coming in.

That is quite an impressive and rapid response, do you get a ping when someone talks about your brand?

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

The case has 2 more ports for 120mm fans on top, so some additional exhaust can be installed.  Also, tests show that the RX 570 can push as much as 200W when overclocked, so it might be worth considering some higher RPM intake fans to help bring in more cool air.  The ones we pre-installed run at 1,000RPM, which is enough for your average system, but this is quite a bit hotter than your average system.

Thanks, I think I have everything to the point where it's a good balance of stability, heat and performance. It seems stable during VR games, but it does heat up quite a bit.

38 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

That is quite an impressive and rapid response, do you get a ping when someone talks about your brand?

I did a broad search for any posts with our name and bookmarked it, so now I can simply go to that link and see if anything related to us comes up. :)  This also works for any other search term if you want to keep track of posts and conversations related to a specific topic.  The only problem is I also get all the results related to the Vivo that makes phones.

33 minutes ago, steelo said:

Thanks, I think I have everything to the point where it's a good balance of stability, heat and performance. It seems stable during VR games, but it does heat up quite a bit.

Good to know!  As long as everything is stable, your PC should be safe even if it is fairly hot.  On a desktop, I usually try to keep the CPU below 60C and the GPU below 80C under load.

I did a broad search for any posts with our name and bookmarked it, so now I can simply go to that link and see if anything related to us comes up. :)  This also works for any other search term if you want to keep track of posts and conversations related to a specific topic.

Good to know!  As long as everything is stable, your PC should be safe even if it is fairly hot.  On a desktop, I usually try to keep the CPU below 60C and the GPU below 80C under load.

How efficient of you! I like it!

I did a broad search for any posts with our name and bookmarked it, so now I can simply go to that link and see if anything related to us comes up. :)  This also works for any other search term if you want to keep track of posts and conversations related to a specific topic.

I run my CPUs in the 90s with thermal throttling disabled, both my main GPUs are on water so it isn't so bad. 

P.S. I do NOT recommend anyone else to do this, it will reduce the lifespan of your chips, but seeing as I upgrade on a regular basis(every 2-3 years) it doesn't bother me much. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

6 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

Thanks, typically my CPU is under 70-75C and the GPU under 80C during hour long gaming sessions.

However, if I run stress tests (Prime95 or BOINC) the GPU seems to heat up out of control and the CPU gets much hotter than I would like.

image.png.9a51ed41382da481c33408ad388c4ad9.png

*Jaws theme plays* 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

image.png.9a51ed41382da481c33408ad388c4ad9.png

*Jaws theme plays* 

Is that marathon?

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Is that marathon?

Yes.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yes.

I've dropped my WCG output a bit, trying out vbox on all my linux servers and doing ATLAS. I notice those jobs give TONS on points and generally don't run too long so we might be able to leap in to a good position, have to make the call on what to do quickly though. It's a 4 hour turn around to see any impact in my change over.

4 hours ago, Ben Quigley said:

Yes.

You around to have a look at LHC and WCG output? Need to decide which we we have best chance at.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

You around to have a look at LHC and WCG output? Need to decide which we we have best chance at.

I've just got home, will look and get back to you in 5-10 mins

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

We should get 9th in marathon, maybe even 8th. A little more push in the sprint and we could gain a few places there by the looks of it. 

So, whatever you have in marathon leave as is, if you can spare some for the sprint then good, but don't want to compromise us on the marathon. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

7 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

We should get 9th in marathon, maybe even 8th. A little more push in the sprint and we could gain a few places there by the looks of it. 

So, whatever you have in marathon leave as is, if you can spare some for the sprint then good, but don't want to compromise us on the marathon. 

I've been as is config wise last 4 hours, some servers haven't been able to get any ATLAS work so have been doing WCG (dual project running). I  noticed AF has pushed up their WCG output so if we want to pass them I need to abandon LHC. Not sure which is better or wait until we pass OCN in LHC then abandon.

Edit:

In theory we could even pass SETI.Germany in WCG if we tried hard enough