Notre Dame cathedral burning up, spire collapses due to fire

Delicieuxz
10 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah o_o I wonder why aren't there many old-design-new-methods buildings or projects out there. especially when there's definitely MORE out there

(other than the train of thought of "welp we're starting over again why not make something new", but if the concept must be preserved, surely the tome it resides in is worth preserved in another media?)

what's for sure is there must be 3D models and architectural descriptions and plans of the entire building. It'll be much more descriptive than photos and text

If it were less than 75 years old I would say build something new and make it a memorial, We have enough digital references of what was there.  But given it is historically significant (and I assume culturally and emotionally significant to the locals) an exact replica seems more fitting.  Especially if it is built using the old methods (it did last 700 years the first time around).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

rest assured there is already 300 million available for reconstruction

At this time, few billionaires have said to donate about $700 million or so, Apple said to donate, there is public funding, and I think initial reconstruction was said to cost about 200 million. I think they are close to a billion now. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Honestly it's amazing it has gotten by this long without any kind of major damage. We're talking a time span of around 27 generations of people here.

50 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Honestly it's amazing it has gotten by this long without any kind of major damage. We're talking a time span of around 27 generations of people here.

Buildings, particularly large religious ones, were well defended in ye olde days, and are always well maintained. I mean, not trying to sound condescending @imreloadin, but you're American. The majority of large towns or cities here in the UK have a church or cathedral as old as the constitution if not more. A lot of Europe is the same. Where I live, the cathedral has stood for 500 years without any major structural changes

But I suppose yes, considering the location, it is a miracle it survived two wars relatively unscathed.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

4 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Buildings, particularly large religious ones, were well defended in ye olde days, and are always wellmaintained. And I mean, not trying to sound condescending @imreloadin, but you're American. The majority of large towns or cities here in the UK have a church or cathedral as old as the constitution if not more. A lot of Europe is the same. Where I live, the cathedral has stood for 500 years without any major structural changes

But I suppose yes, considering the location, it is a miracle it survived two wars relatively unscathed.

weird flex, but ok xD

1 minute ago, Ross Siggers said:

Buildings, particularly large religious ones, are well maintained.

And I mean, not trying to sound judgemental @imreloadin, but you're American. The majority of large towns or cities in the UK have a church or cathedral as old as the constitution if not more. Where I live, the cathedral has stood for 500 years without any major structural changes

They also knew how to build em'.   Given they didn't have access to computer models and resources were not always scarce or expensive, they simply over engineered everything (larger than necessary foundations, larger than necessary beams etc). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

weird flex, but ok xD

HUURRGHGH YEEAHAHH

WE'RE EUROPE BITCHES. WE'RE OLD AS BALLS

xD 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

10 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

HUURRGHGH YEEAHAHH

WE'RE EUROPE BITCHES. WE'RE OLD AS BALLS

xD 

Europe...the balls of the world xD

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

They also knew how to build em'.   Given they didn't have access to computer models and resources were not always scarce or expensive, they simply over engineered everything (larger than necessary foundations, larger than necessary beams etc). 

I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that this was being commissioned by the king or by the church, which was even more powerful. So you made damn sure that everything would be overbuilt as if it were to collapse due to skimping on craftsmanship the architects and designers may have been killed for it. It's much different from today where they contract things to the lowest bidder. This is how we ended up with things like the Palace of Versailles...

40 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Buildings, particularly large religious ones, were well defended in ye olde days, and are always well maintained. I mean, not trying to sound condescending @imreloadin, but you're American. The majority of large towns or cities here in the UK have a church or cathedral as old as the constitution if not more. A lot of Europe is the same. Where I live, the cathedral has stood for 500 years without any major structural changes

100% agreed. Churches/cathedrals in Europe have always been maintained and defended well, from the time they started building them right up to now.

As a matter of fact my city's cathedral was originally built in the 5th century (although it was rebuilt in both the 9th century and 1402). If that doesn't show how well maintained these churches/cathedrals were then I don't know what will.

Anyway, about Notre Dame: It's a shame to see 850 years of history burn and collapse like that, but thankfully a lot of the building has been saved. The artwork/statues are fine, as is a majority of the building. Only the spire, one of the stained glass windows and the roof have not been saved (although the stone arch roof under the top roof is fine).

8 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that this was being commissioned by the king or by the church, which was even more powerful. So you made damn sure that everything would be overbuilt as if it were to collapse due to skimping on craftsmanship the architects and designers may have been killed for it. It's much different from today where they contract things to the lowest bidder. This is how we ended up with things like the Palace of Versailles...

Oh they had contracts and cost accountability back then too.  There a ledgers in existence for all sorts of construction work for things like churches and castles.  That's how they know how long it took to build and how much it cost.  There is a fred Dibner episode where they are reading a ledger and it shows a dispute between the owner and the contractor over the cost.

No-one with gargoyle news? 

12 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah o_o I wonder why aren't there many old-design-new-methods buildings or projects out there. especially when there's definitely MORE out there

(other than the train of thought of "welp we're starting over again why not make something new", but if the concept must be preserved, surely the tome it resides in is worth preserved in another media?)

what's for sure is there must be 3D models and architectural descriptions and plans of the entire building. It'll be much more descriptive than photos and text

I did read somewhere that they created 3D model of it with those laser thingies in 2015.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Apparently they laser scanned it in 2015 it was to do with assassins creed? 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷